abibae

South Korea mandatory military service and N-400

3 posts in this topic

Hello! We are in the process of applying for citizenship for my husband. He is from South Korea and had served his mandatory two years of military service back in 2009 (before we were even married). We marked the necessary boxes on the N-400 regarding him having military and weapons training and also wrote an explanation. Does this explanation sound good enough or is it too short?

"In South Korea, it is mandatory by law for all adult men to serve two years of military service (excluding those with health or religious limitations). I completed my two years of service in April 2009 to February 2011 and was assigned as a medic two months into my service until the end of my service. As a medic, I worked alongside a doctor and helped treat any minor injuries on soldiers and helped the doctor make medicine for soldiers. I completed volunteer service in the local town to help seniors as well. I was also trained on first aid and CPR.

In reference to part 12, question 19, I received two months of weapons training with a K2 at the beginning of my service and then received training on the M-16, which was what I trained with for the rest of my time in the military. All soldiers are required to train with these weapons."

We are also planning on including a copy of his Military Discharge card, but it is all in Korean. We were planning on just translating it on the same document that he used to explain his military service. Would that be okay? Do we need to find someone to "officially" translate the card? Do we even need to provide a copy of the discharge card?

Thank you!

finally, we made it!

~ married on 07/02/2013 ~

2 hours ago, abibae said:

Hello! We are in the process of applying for citizenship for my husband. He is from South Korea and had served his mandatory two years of military service back in 2009 (before we were even married). We marked the necessary boxes on the N-400 regarding him having military and weapons training and also wrote an explanation. Does this explanation sound good enough or is it too short?

"In South Korea, it is mandatory by law for all adult men to serve two years of military service (excluding those with health or religious limitations). I completed my two years of service in April 2009 to February 2011 and was assigned as a medic two months into my service until the end of my service. As a medic, I worked alongside a doctor and helped treat any minor injuries on soldiers and helped the doctor make medicine for soldiers. I completed volunteer service in the local town to help seniors as well. I was also trained on first aid and CPR.

In reference to part 12, question 19, I received two months of weapons training with a K2 at the beginning of my service and then received training on the M-16, which was what I trained with for the rest of my time in the military. All soldiers are required to train with these weapons."

We are also planning on including a copy of his Military Discharge card, but it is all in Korean. We were planning on just translating it on the same document that he used to explain his military service. Would that be okay? Do we need to find someone to "officially" translate the card? Do we even need to provide a copy of the discharge card?

Thank you!

With mine, I just put did 7 years service with Allied Military Force (Army) that included 3 active duty deployments overseas.. Qualified in military style weapons and explosives handling with trade and technical qualifications in hazardous chemicals and attached a complete copy of my military records for their information.

I made a point of saying Allied Military :) obviously no translation for me required, so I recommend you get that and send both versions.. 

So far so good for me, no issues as yet 🤞

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

14 hours ago, abibae said:

Thank you!

I served in the IDF (also mandatory conscription) and included a very similar explanation, was naturalized a few months back with no issues.

Edited by ProudlyConfused

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.