Karim2018

No info on LPR current status- What to do?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Question: Roughly 18 years ago, I've filed an I-864 for my brother-in-law (BIL) and his 5-year old daughter. I have since divorced my ex wife and she's not cooperative. I need to put the correct # of dependents in the I-864, (including those I've filed I-864 for) so I was wondering if there is a way to determine their current status? I don't even know their whereabouts, but I do know/remember that my BIL got a job shortly after he got his  GC and was working at the same job for many years, so I'm suspecting that he has already completed at least 40 Quarters of work. As for his daughter, I know she was doing well at school, she may have recently graduated, and maybe even applied for citizenship, but I have no way to confirm or prove i all this :( I have their full names, birth dates, and what I believe is their green card #s and the date I've filed that I-864 , but that's all I have. Are there any services out there, lawyers, or websites that can help me determine their current status? Worst case, I would have to claim them as dependent still :( and that will of course will increase the amount of money I'd need to earn to sponsor my current wife with a new I-864. Thank you in advance!

Timeline
7 hours ago, milimelo said:

Try finding them on facebook, white pages and getting in touch with them? 

Have already tried that, but to no avail :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

go to google and just put the full name in

if he applied for citizenship or bought any property,  it should pop up

18 years here???? he would have worked over 40 quarters and the daughter would be 23

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
58 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

go to google and just put the full name in

if he applied for citizenship or bought any property,  it should pop up

18 years here???? he would have worked over 40 quarters and the daughter would be 23

I've already tried that NOTHING :( I know he must have put in more like 60+ quarters of work, but I can't prove it, if asked to do so :( That's the problem I'm having!

Edited by Karim2018

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

All you can do is the best you can do.  Even if you are certain they both have 40 quarters in Social Security, that doesn't change your answer.  Only knowing ("knowing" not "evidence of") that they are citizens will keep you from counting them on the form.  The people evaluating the form have their own ways of determining whether they should ultimately be counted in your ACTUAL household size today.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
7 hours ago, pushbrk said:

All you can do is the best you can do.  Even if you are certain they both have 40 quarters in Social Security, that doesn't change your answer.  Only knowing ("knowing" not "evidence of") that they are citizens will keep you from counting them on the form.  The people evaluating the form have their own ways of determining whether they should ultimately be counted in your ACTUAL household size today.

Thanks! I've actually walked into a USCIS office once and asked if they can give me the dates when I've filed those affidavits of support because it's been a while. It took them about 2-3 weeks to research it, but eventually they called me and gave me that info. I think if you don't put them on there, they'll sure find out, but if you do, they'll count them against you :(

Edited by Karim2018

Timeline

When I posted this, I was more thinking/hoping that some one would step in and say yes, there's a website and/or company or service out there that can help you determine their current status and even find out how many SS quarters they've accumulated over the years (and I'm not taking about PI here lol). I also think there could be immigration attorneys on this forum, who may suggest taking a legal action (civil lawsuit) to subpoena those records and determine if I'm still liable and bound by the I-864 I've filed 18 year ago, especially after cutting any and all ties with the beneficiaries and even with my Ex...There must be some course of action out there one can take, not to circumvent the process, but to find out where one stands on an AOS, which was filed 18 years ago!

Edited by Karim2018

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, Karim2018 said:

When I posted this, I was more thinking/hoping that some one would step in and say yes, there's a website and/or company or service out there that can help you determine their current status and even find out how many SS quarters they've accumulated over the years (and I'm not taking about PI here lol). I also think there could be immigration attorneys on this forum, who may suggest taking a legal action (civil lawsuit) to subpoena those records and determine if I'm still liable and bound by the I-864 I've filed 18 year ago, especially after cutting any and all ties with the beneficiaries and even with my Ex...There must be some course of action out there one can take, not to circumvent the process, but to find out where one stands on an AOS, which was filed 18 years ago!

There might be some courses of action you can take.  Contact an attorney yourself.  You could start here. https://www.visajourney.com/partners/

Be aware though that even if they have 40 quarters, unless they are citizens, left the US permanently or died, the correct answer to the number of people you sponsored who are now LPR's is going to be 2.  You must read the actual question, interpret it literally, and answer it accurately.  Of course you can add any additional information or explanation you wish to add.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

There might be some courses of action you can take.  Contact an attorney yourself.  You could start here. https://www.visajourney.com/partners/

Be aware though that even if they have 40 quarters, unless they are citizens, left the US permanently or died, the correct answer to the number of people you sponsored who are now LPR's is going to be 2.  You must read the actual question, interpret it literally, and answer it accurately.  Of course you can add any additional information or explanation you wish to add.

Roger that! Although I think the obligation to support them DOES END if they have worked, or can receive credit for, 40 quarters of coverage under the Social Security Act. Hence, to you earlier point, whomever reviews your application MAY chose not to count them against your household size IF they do their due diligence and research your reported household size further. I won't hold my breath on that :(

Edited by Karim2018

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.