emmhak

Applying for I-751 - Separated, not sure what to do

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am going nuts as my temporary green card will expire in a couple of months. My husband and I married in 2016 and had a baby the next year. Unfortunately, a few months before our son's birth, he started drinking heavily. It's been two years now and he has not been at home for the last year. It's been a terrible situation, especially for him as I can see him wanting to make a change but it's not constant. I tried to help him as much as i could, (he refused going into rehab/was hospitalized multiple times due to intoxication) for a year but after no change, i had to ask him to leave and seek for help in his home state, where his mom lives. He's been in and out of rehab since then. We still talk and have a good relationship, I went to visit in May with our son. i wish i could do it more but due to my tight budget it is impossible. I am not sure what  proof to provide as i am the only one working so we have no bank accounts together or insurance. I was planning on sending an affidavit from his mom,  and a letter from him. Has anyone had this experience? I consulted a lawyer and he told me to explain my situation but i don;t know if this will be enough. To make things worse, when my husband stopped working/baby was born, I applied for food stamps. I am now able to provide for myself and my son so I did not reapply for it and have been 6 months without it. 

This is very frustrating, I hope someone can have some advise for me. Thank you in advance! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
22 minutes ago, emmhak said:

I consulted a lawyer and he told me to explain my situation but i don;t know if this will be enough.

I don't think an explanation will be enough.  Was this an immigration attorney?

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration, form ROC - As the Op's situation is not a straight forward ROC.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, emmhak said:

Hello everyone,

I am going nuts as my temporary green card will expire in a couple of months. My husband and I married in 2016...and he has not been at home for the last year...was hospitalized multiple times due to intoxication... i had to ask him to leave and seek for help in his home state, where his mom lives...I am not sure what  proof to provide as i am the only one working so we have no bank accounts together or insurance. I was planning on sending an affidavit from his mom,  and a letter from him... I applied for food stamps. I am now able to provide for myself and my son so I did not reapply for it and have been 6 months without it.

First, relax. Single parents are strong people (my sister is one), and I'm sure you'll get through this. Second, you're not alone: Many people have gone through this, and USCIS has a process to waive the joint filing requirements for ROC. You can search these forums for similar cases, if you're not able to file with your husband.

Third, start compiling your evidence with what you do have, beginning from marriage to the present. You want to put together anything you have that shows that, since marriage, you have 1) lived together, 2) shared financial responsibilities (e.g, filed taxes as married), 3) shared life experiences (e.g., had a child together), and 4) planned for the future together (OK, this one might be tough.) You might be surprised what you can pull up with a little creativity. For instance: Since your husband appears willing to write you a letter, can he send a copy of his driver's license (showing same address as the one on your license?). 

The affidavits will be useful if well written (include dates of marriage, moving in together, separation, explanations, etc.), but you'll need more. Click the link below to see some more examples, then think about alternative evidence in each of the 4 categories. Good luck!

Edited by afrocraft

Timeline

afrocraft, thank you for your advice. I don't want to get divorce yet as I am hoping he can get back on track also I know it would devastate him and make his situation even worse. I will start working on gathering as much info as possible.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Using any medical records that he is seeking treatment will be very helpful as to why you are separated. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
17 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Using any medical records that he is seeking treatment will be very helpful as to why you are separated. 

I have asked my husband to request it at his rehabilitation facility. Hopefully this will help. 

Timeline
55 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

Aren't food stamps a public charge matter which can cause a denial? 

It sure can. While things are not really looking good for me, I am just gonna send as much info as I can and hope for the best. We would have not survived had I not received food stamps at the time. 

Filed: Timeline
On 8/14/2019 at 3:16 PM, emmhak said:

It sure can. While things are not really looking good for me, I am just gonna send as much info as I can and hope for the best. We would have not survived had I not received food stamps at the time. 

On 8/14/2019 at 2:17 PM, little immigrant said:

Aren't food stamps a public charge matter which can cause a denial? 

There is no public charge assessment done at ROC. Nor is there one at citizenship if she chooses to do such. 

I agree with the attny. You just need to explain things with as much proof as you have. You should be fine. Since you are not going to divorce right now you have to file jointly. He will have to come to the interview if there is one. If things change you can adjust paperwork accordingly. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.