JTDavis

Foreign holiday before interview - Do I have to redo my DS-160?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone. :) 

Forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

I'm intending to have my interview at the embassy in London in September, but I'm going to be visiting Prague for a holiday at the end of August. I've already filled out my DS-160, but when I filled it out, I had never been to the Czech Republic. As a result, this was not included on the list of countries I have visited. Will I have to fill in a new copy of the DS-160 before my interview with the updated list of countries visited, or can I use my current DS-160 and just let them know during the interview that I have visited another country?

The interview has not been booked yet, so as an extension to this question, if I need to fill in a new DS-160, should I book my interview using that one, or can I just use my current one? I've previously read that if a new/updated DS-160 form is made after booking an interview, then the confirmation page from both of them should be brought to the interview, but I'm not sure how ideal this would be.

Thanks in advance! :) 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Good question. I already filled in my DS 160, too, listing all my previous visits to the US, but I will do one more trip before my interview...I would hope that's not going to be a big deal 🤔 Or do I need to fill in a new DS 160?

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, JTDavis said:

Forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

I'm intending to have my interview at the embassy in London in September, but I'm going to be visiting Prague for a holiday at the end of August. I've already filled out my DS-160, but when I filled it out, I had never been to the Czech Republic. As a result, this was not included on the list of countries I have visited. Will I have to fill in a new copy of the DS-160 before my interview with the updated list of countries visited, or can I use my current DS-160 and just let them know during the interview that I have visited another country?

The interview has not been booked yet, so as an extension to this question, if I need to fill in a new DS-160, should I book my interview using that one, or can I just use my current one? I've previously read that if a new/updated DS-160 form is made after booking an interview, then the confirmation page from both of them should be brought to the interview, but I'm not sure how ideal this would be.

5 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

Good question. I already filled in my DS 160, too, listing all my previous visits to the US, but I will do one more trip before my interview...I would hope that's not going to be a big deal 🤔 Or do I need to fill in a new DS 160?

Not necessary to complete a new DS-160, you can mention during the interview that you have taken an additional trip since completing the DS-160 if the CO feels it is important they can update the current DS-160 at that time.

IF you do complete a new DS-160 bring ONLY the new confirmation page to the interview.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
18 hours ago, JTDavis said:

The FAQs from your embassy say the following. I would say that applies to the DS-160 as well since they are both visa applications. DS-260 is the one spouse visas use. 

If you have made an error when completing the DS-260 you are required to correct the error and re-transmit it if the error concerns the Background and Security questions or passport number.  Please contact us through our website as we will be required to unlock your case before you can amend the information.  If the error is in the biographic details, you may notify the consular officer on the day of your interview and take no further action.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

The FAQs from your embassy say the following. I would say that applies to the DS-160 as well since they are both visa applications. DS-260 is the one spouse visas use. 

If you have made an error when completing the DS-260 you are required to correct the error and re-transmit it if the error concerns the Background and Security questions or passport number.  Please contact us through our website as we will be required to unlock your case before you can amend the information.  If the error is in the biographic details, you may notify the consular officer on the day of your interview and take no further action.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Does the information in the DS-160 need to be correct at the time of signing, or does it need to be correct at the time of interview?

The instructions on the DS-160 itself says this, among other things:

Your electronic signature certifies that you have read and understood the questions in this application and that your answers are true and correct to the best of your knowledge and belief.

When I filled in my DS-160, the information I entered was correct at the time of signing. Therefore, would this actually be considered an error?

Timeline
25 minutes ago, JTDavis said:

Does the information in the DS-160 need to be correct at the time of signing, or does it need to be correct at the time of interview?

When I filled in my DS-160, the information I entered was correct at the time of signing. Therefore, would this actually be considered an error?

No it isn't an error, you can't enter future events.    

Like said you can mention your recent travels to the CO  .. he may not care

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Well, about entering future events...

At the moment I have no proof of the required vaccinations, but I filled in "yes" in the DS 160, because I'm going to get my shots during my medical, so at the time of the interview I will have them. However, that's a future event, too.

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

Well, about entering future events...

At the moment I have no proof of the required vaccinations, but I filled in "yes" in the DS 160, because I'm going to get my shots during my medical, so at the time of the interview I will have them. However, that's a future event, too.

Yes .. that is SOP with the DS-160 and the K-1

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Yes .. that is SOP with the DS-160 and the K-1

I'm sorry, I don't know what SOP means

Timeline
Just now, Hank_ said:

Sorry.  Standard Operating Procedure

Thank you. Well, sounds like I did something correctly :D 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

No it isn't an error, you can't enter future events.    

Like said you can mention your recent travels to the CO  .. he may not care

When you put it that way, it seems so obvious. 😄

Thanks for the advice!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, JTDavis said:

Every immigration form is supposed to be correct to the best of your knowledge at the time of signing.

i think the point is how to change it if you you need to. The visits to other countries is part of the security vetting. If you change something by doing a new one, you only bring the new confirmation so they pull up the accurate one. Earlier you mentioned bringing both. 

Czech Republic isn't a terrorist country so probably not an issue that would delay your visa while they checked you out further, but I do think they would like the complete list of countries.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.