ZackG222

Nicknames in Chat Logs K1 Visa

15 posts in this topic

from day 1 in our chat logs, only my nick name was used.

for example, if my full LEGAL name is Christopher Henderson, my nickname is CJ

i have never used my nick names on legal documents like passports or driver license.. 

that being said, will this raise eyebrows? do i have to write CJ on "other names used" on form i-129? i do plan on mentioning my nickname on the "how we met letter"

thanks for your help

That is just a nickname for social media with no legal value. 

Chats can be proof of an ongoing relationship, which IS NOT required for the petition.

The evidence you MUST send with the I-129f are documents that prove meeting in person, such as passport stamps, flight tickets, hotel bookings with BOTH names, etc.

You can completely skip printing out chats.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

12 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

That is just a nickname for social media with no legal value. 

Chats can be proof of an ongoing relationship, which IS NOT required for the petition.

The evidence you MUST send with the I-129f are documents that prove meeting in person, such as passport stamps, flight tickets, hotel bookings with BOTH names, etc.

You can completely skip printing out chats.

will they want chat logs from day 1 when they interview my fiance at the US embassy?

42 minutes ago, ZackG222 said:

i do plan on mentioning my nickname on the "how we met letter"

"How we met letter" isn't a thing.

And chat logs are not required or requested to be sent with the petition.

When the beneficiary comes from a high fraud country, people tend to include way more evidence that what is asked, to guarantee an approval.

USCIS or the embassy don't actually require chat logs at any stage, but as is the case with long distance relationships, chats are the only way to communicate most of the time, so they can serve as a secondary proof of an ongoing relationship after filing the petition. 

In the case you decide to include them, a small sample is more than enough. You can choose 2 or 3 key dates and print just one page each. 

Where is the beneficiary from? 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

46 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

When the beneficiary comes from a high fraud country, people tend to include way more evidence that what is asked, to guarantee an approval.

USCIS or the embassy don't actually require chat logs at any stage, but as is the case with long distance relationships, chats are the only way to communicate most of the time, so they can serve as a secondary proof of an ongoing relationship after filing the petition. 

In the case you decide to include them, a small sample is more than enough. You can choose 2 or 3 key dates and print just one page each. 

Where is the beneficiary from? 

HCMC Vietnam

We are both very young im 30 she is 27. we are madly in love. i even bought her an engagement ring BEFORE i met her in person. i still have the receipt of the ring. would this raise eyebrows that i bought a ring before i met her?

i also want to include pictures of us holding my boarding pass with the date, showing that we have met within 2 years. i will also print out a current news article from the NY Times and have both of us hold it in the picture. i want to do this to make our case even stronger and bulletproof.

also, we originally met on okcupid a dating site. we then later started chatting on Zalo (similar to whatsapp or line).

when we first started texting on Zalo, i told her to send me a pic of her holding a piece of paper with my name on it, including the date. we both did this. i wanted to make sure i wasnt being catfished. i want to include that chat log on the I-129 packet.

Edited by ZackG222

Not to be negative, but trying so hard can backfire. 

Nowadays, long distance relationships happen all the time, and it is normal to take selfies when visiting, and when apart, chatting as much as you can. But it is very odd to take pictures thinking of them as evidence.

They want to see you are a normal couple, so send the evidence a normal couple has.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Nowadays, long distance relationships happen all the time, and it is normal to take selfies when visiting, and when apart, chatting as much as you can. But it is very odd to take pictures thinking of them as evidence.

They want to see you are a normal couple, so send the evidence a normal couple has.

I agree.

Bro just include regular evidence. You together. Boarding passes. Flight Itineraries with one of your names on it. Passport stamps.

The holding the pass together or printing out a current article seems cheesy - so does the paper with the name on it. If you flew all the way to where she lives and you have a picture together and the stamps to prove it, it means a lot more.

I wouldn't put the ring receipt from before you met, personally.

Edited by EmptySeats

29 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

thank you. i will take normal photos then, lol.

6 minutes ago, EmptySeats said:

I agree.

Bro just include regular evidence. You together. Boarding passes. Flight Itineraries with one of your names on it. Passport stamps.

The holding the pass together or printing out a current article seems cheesy - so does the paper with the name on it. If you flew all the way to where she lives and you have a picture together and the stamps to prove it, it means a lot more.

I wouldn't put the ring receipt from before you met, personally.

thanks!!!

but i will include the engagement receipt because i do want to show that i did propose to her and bought her a ring. i will include a pic of us with her wearing the ring.

Edited by ZackG222

13 hours ago, ZackG222 said:

thanks!!!

but i will include the engagement receipt because i do want to show that i did propose to her and bought her a ring. i will include a pic of us with her wearing the ring.

Why? A ring isn’t necessary. A proposal isn’t even necessary. All the receipt proves is that you have a credit card or bank account which had at least that much available funds on that date. Stick to primary evidence. Stick to evidence of time spent together. USCIS doesn’t care about your ring or when and where it was purchased or how much it cost. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Anyone can buy a ring, even if they’re not in love.  That said, it doesn’t sound like you have red flags anyway.  But while it’s exciting for the couple to get the ring, for USCIS purposes it’s not meaningful.

I am personally a fan of “front loading” and would include a small sample of chats to show communication.  The reason being that too many people complain they’ve been denied a visa and the CO didn’t look at anything they brought to the interview.  A lot of that depends on your home country.  I personally followed the principle of making the visa easy to approve the first time.  I probably sent in more than necessary but tried to stick to the basics and organized well.

19 hours ago, ZackG222 said:

from day 1 in our chat logs, only my nick name was used.

for example, if my full LEGAL name is Christopher Henderson, my nickname is CJ

i have never used my nick names on legal documents like passports or driver license.. 

that being said, will this raise eyebrows? do i have to write CJ on "other names used" on form i-129? i do plan on mentioning my nickname on the "how we met letter"

thanks for your help

You can change the contact name on whatsapp and then print out the msg logs. The contact name you had before wont even show only the current name you have that contact saved as. I know cause I had to do that myself. Im not familiar with Zalo but should be the same process. Hope this helps. 

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.