Drummerboy

International Driving Permit.

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi I was just wondering does anybody know if you need an International Driving Permit (I.D.P.) to go with your full licence to be able to drive in the state of Pennsylvania ?? I have a full UK driving licence but have found out that for some states you also need an I.D.P. to go with your licence inorder to be able to drive in the U.S. 

I have to obtain the I.D.P. over here in the U.K. before I travel so a quick response would be gratefully appreciated,

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Craig.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and YOur New Life, from Off Topic - as driving in the US is often discussed here.~~

Mod hat off 

An International Driving Permit will not do you any good. It is only a translation of your UK licence. Plus you are no longer visiting so must follow the laws of Pennsylvania. 

From their website

All new residents with out-of-state non-commercial driver's licenses must obtain a PA Driver's License within 60 days of establishing Pennsylvania residency. 

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/New-Resident-Relocation-Information/New Residents/Pages/Info-For-New-Residents.aspx

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Just go take the test. Think I took my GC, Passport, SS number card and a letter from PNC with my name on it. 

A monkey could pass the test, it was that easy. If the test center was anything like mine read up on it and see what they commonly fail people on before you go.  

There are different rules for Residents and Non-Residents driving on foreign licences.

Here is the link to the documents you'll need to take: http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL Publications/pub 195nc.pdf

Scroll down you'll see the stuff you need for a K-1

I tried to Find it on PennDOT for you but all i could find was: ( It doesn't specify the difference between Non-Resident and Resident)

5. Can I drive in Pennsylvania with my Foreign Driver's License?
Individuals who possess a valid foreign driver's license from their country are authorized to drive in Pennsylvania for up to one year from their date of entry into the United States, or upon expiration of their foreign license, whichever comes first. International driving permits are strongly recommended, but not required.

I think you can drive on a foreign licence for 60 days. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, Drummerboy said:

Hi I was just wondering does anybody know if you need an International Driving Permit (I.D.P.) to go with your full licence to be able to drive in the state of Pennsylvania ?? I have a full UK driving licence but have found out that for some states you also need an I.D.P. to go with your licence inorder to be able to drive in the U.S. 

I have to obtain the I.D.P. over here in the U.K. before I travel so a quick response would be gratefully appreciated,

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Craig.

It's a translation. Since your license is in English. No law enforcement officer will have difficulty reading it. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

The only pro to having an international DL (as a visitor in the US) that I was able to find is that some companies might require you to present the IDL when you're trying to rent a car. Otherwise, no use to it. 

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.