sjhedquist

Evidence of Support

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I just recently learned of the requirement of supporting documents for my fiance's K-1 interview with the embassy. We haven't even gotten notice from the embassy to set up his interview yet, but we want to get things together as quickly as possible. I am most concerned with the I-134 and have the following questions:

1.  It lists tax returns as necessary only if you are self-employed, which I am not. I am hesitant to attach last year's since I was living abroad and made next to nothing in the months that I was actually in the U.S., so it will look like I am below the poverty line for that year. I did make an income while living in Spain, but have nothing to show for it. I read somewhere to attach tax documents from the past 3 years, but I was a college student in 2016 and 2017 and made very little money. Last year, as I said above, was spent abroad and my income is not reflected on my tax return. Will this hurt me?

2. My bank account balance now and throughout the year are not exactly high...I have a solid income now (more than $50,000 before taxes) and have had for the past year, but I am by no means rich and have less than $1000 in my checking at almost all times after I pay my bills. What exactly are they looking for when they look at the ebb and flow of my bank account?

1. Tax returns for the I-134 are not strictly required. COs from some countries want to see them anyway, so I'll defer there. But current income is still king.
  2. Assets are optional if income is sufficient.
  3. For the I-864 (for AOS later), a copy of at east the most recent year's tax return will be required. The 2 years prior to tax will need to be listed as well, or a statement as to why you weren't required to file.
  4. Keep in mind the costs that will be coming alongside a new spouse (who can't work for likely 5-7+ months, and needs health insurance), plus the upcoming AOS fees. Be sure to have a plan beforehand...sometimes things happen shortly after arrival, and you don't want to be in a bad position if that happens.
Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, geowrian said:
  1. Tax returns for the I-134 are not strictly required. COs from some countries want to see them anyway, so I'll defer there. But current income is still king.
  2. Assets are optional if income is sufficient.
  3. For the I-864 (for AOS later), a copy of at east the most recent year's tax return will be required. The 2 years prior to tax will need to be listed as well, or a statement as to why you weren't required to file.
  4. Keep in mind the costs that will be coming alongside a new spouse (who can't work for likely 5-7+ months, and needs health insurance), plus the upcoming AOS fees. Be sure to have a plan beforehand...sometimes things happen shortly after arrival, and you don't want to be in a bad position if that happens.

Ahh, this is extremely helpful! I have my interview August 7th and have my US fiance's tax return, all of the bank statements, letter from employer, etc. But was just told that I need to have his IRS tax transcript for the K1 interview. I was under the impression that was only needed for the I-864 affidavit that we submit with the adjustment of status. So based on what I just read of your response, I wont need the IRS tax transcript for the K1 interview? Being told that was a bit of last minute stress haha. 

3 hours ago, StephanieB said:

Ahh, this is extremely helpful! I have my interview August 7th and have my US fiance's tax return, all of the bank statements, letter from employer, etc. But was just told that I need to have his IRS tax transcript for the K1 interview. I was under the impression that was only needed for the I-864 affidavit that we submit with the adjustment of status. So based on what I just read of your response, I wont need the IRS tax transcript for the K1 interview? Being told that was a bit of last minute stress haha. 

The transcript is not strictly required for the I-134. COs for some countries do want to see it and/or W-2s, though.  I would have to defer to somebody more familiar with the I-134 for a K-1 with Montreal for a more-confident/specific answer. Most don't require it for the K-1, but I don't want to say with certainty that Montreal does not.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

The transcript is not strictly required for the I-134. COs for some countries do want to see it and/or W-2s, though.  I would have to defer to somebody more familiar with the I-134 for a K-1 with Montreal for a more-confident/specific answer. Most don't require it for the K-1, but I don't want to say with certainty that Montreal does not.

Thank you for the response! We didn't want to risk it so we downloaded and printed last years from the IRS online tax transcript site just to be safe. Thank you! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, StephanieB said:

Each consulate sets their own rules.   You may want to visit the Canadian regional forum for all things Montreal 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, StephanieB said:

You should have a checklist of required documents for the K-1 visa from the embassy .. that is what you should be following

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 7/24/2019 at 4:53 PM, sjhedquist said:

I just recently learned of the requirement of supporting documents for my fiance's K-1 interview with the embassy. We haven't even gotten notice from the embassy to set up his interview yet, but we want to get things together as quickly as possible. I am most concerned with the I-134 and have the following questions:

1.  It lists tax returns as necessary only if you are self-employed, which I am not. I am hesitant to attach last year's since I was living abroad and made next to nothing in the months that I was actually in the U.S., so it will look like I am below the poverty line for that year. I did make an income while living in Spain, but have nothing to show for it. I read somewhere to attach tax documents from the past 3 years, but I was a college student in 2016 and 2017 and made very little money. Last year, as I said above, was spent abroad and my income is not reflected on my tax return. Will this hurt me?

2. My bank account balance now and throughout the year are not exactly high...I have a solid income now (more than $50,000 before taxes) and have had for the past year, but I am by no means rich and have less than $1000 in my checking at almost all times after I pay my bills. What exactly are they looking for when they look at the ebb and flow of my bank account?

We are prepping for our interview in August. The embassy in Buenos Aires requires tax transcripts as proof of finances, it's in the P3 letter you'll receive when they contact you after they receive your case:

EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: You must submit any evidence which will show that you and members of your family who will accompany you are not likely to become public charges while in the United States. Visa petitioner (US Citizen) will have to complete form I-134. If the petitioner does not qualify as a sponsor, a Joint-Sponsor should ALSO be presented (any US Citizen living in the US or Legal Permanent Resident), whowill also have to complete form I-134. Both, the Sponsor (Petitioner) as well as the Joint-Sponsor, will have to present last year’s income tax transcripts, and proof of current and sustainable income.
You may download the I-134 affidavit at: https://www.uscis.gov/i-134
Income tax transcripts available at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. 

I think the best option for you considering everything is getting a joint sponsor. We have a thread for Argentinians going through the interview stage, think it might be helpful to read through that and ask any questions there: 

Edited by Andrea + Gaston

♡ K1 ♡

I-129F sent - 3/6/2019

NOA1 - 3/13/2019

NOA2  - 5/30/2019 (no RFE)

Interview - 8/29/2019 

Visa Issued - 12/5/2019 🎉🎉🎉

POE - 2/4/2020 

Wedding - 2/12/2020 👰🏼🤵🏽

AOS ♡

I-485/I-765/I-131 sent - 2/13/2020

NOA1 - 2/19/2020

Biometrics - 3/9/2020

Ready to Schedule GC Interview - 4/20/2020 (no RFE)

EAD/AP in hand - 8/1/2020

GC Interview - 6/22/2021 (RFE, USCIS lost our medical 😡)

GC Approved!!!! - 8/11/2021 🙌🏻🎊

GC in hand - 8/17/2021

ROC ♡

I-1751 sent - 5/19/2023
Case received - 5/22/2023
NOA1 - 6/3/2023 - Potomac Service Center 
GC extension received - 6/5/2023

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.