7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

hi, everyone, my name is Alex,from Nigeria

my wife filed for a k1 visa from the state

i went through the process

and the interview and was giving a visa which i must get married before 90 days

I am now in the state, and got married before 90 days ,  planning to move to the next level

PLEASE CAN I GET A HINT OF WHAT TO DO NEXT

1. including: who to contact , where to submit my marriage license, the deadline to submit my marriage license 

2. is there any charge to it, if yes how much

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, ALEX MAISON (mr) said:

I am now in the state, and got married before 90 days ,  planning to move to the next level

1. including: who to contact , where to submit my marriage license, the deadline to submit my marriage license 

Visit the adjustment of status forum and read and learn 

YMMV

Y'all need to now file an adjustment of status AOS its a form and it's a fee your wife will have to submit documents of finances and the marriage license and any prior divorce decree. You have to do this Before the 90 days are up meaning have the petition in process. This will give you your green card and social security number. Be prepared to wait at least 10 months. If you go to the uscis website all the information is there to guide you through. 

11 minutes ago, ALEX MAISON (mr) said:

Law #29 of the famous 48 Laws of Power: Plan all the way to the end.

The K1 visa and getting married were just the first steps. There is still a lot more to do. You should study and know what is coming ahead before you even get there. luckily you have places like VJ that has the information and resources you can study.

You next step is adjustment of status (AOS). Here is the guide. https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos/

You should also study and familiarize yourself with Removal of Conditions (ROC), which you will have to do in 2 years, and Naturalization. You should also look into obtaining SSN and Driver's Licence.

All the info are in the guides.

https://www.visajourney.com/content/guides/

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

*** Moved to "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas"

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should start the next step in your immigration journey, the Adjustment of Status (AOS) step, as soon as possible after getting married.

Here is some AOS-related light reading material for you:

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos/

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1aos/

https://www.visajourney.com/content/examples/

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

It's really important you understand the whole process, as there are multiple application deadlines in the years ahead that you must meet. Missing them could lead to deportation, so mark your calendar. Here are the main ones:

No later than 90 days after entry: Apply for adjustment of status (AOS) using Form I-485. You're essentially telling the government to make you a legal permanent resident (LPR), now that you're married to a US citizen. If approved, you'll get a 2-year conditional Green Card (GC); you'll become a conditional GC holder.

No later than 2 years after your AOS has been approved: Apply for removal of conditions (ROC) on your LPR status using Form I-751. Because many people enter into fake marriages to get GC, you must petition the government to remove the conditions on your GC by proving your marriage was, and continues to be, legit ("bona fide"). That will entail submitting documents showing that you and your spouse live together, share financial responsibilities, share life experiences, and plan for the future together. You should start collecting those documents now. If approved, you'll get a 10-year GC.

After 3 years following your AOS: Apply for naturalization (citizenship), if you so choose, using Form N-400.

It's a little more complicated than I've described, but this is the gist of it. You'll learn the nuance later. Welcome to the USA. Good luck!

Edited by afrocraft

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.