klgck

Police Check Ontario, Canada

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Just wondering how some fellow Canadians went about getting their police check! Did anyone just go to their local police station and ask for the fingerprint based check under the privacy act? I have also seen the option to go to an accredited fingerprinting company, so I am not sure what is best. I am in the Niagara Region, ON and Hamilton, ON area if that's any help. I want to be prepped for the interview stage. 

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, klgck said:

Hi everyone!

Just wondering how some fellow Canadians went about getting their police check! Did anyone just go to their local police station and ask for the fingerprint based check under the privacy act? I have also seen the option to go to an accredited fingerprinting company, so I am not sure what is best. I am in the Niagara Region, ON and Hamilton, ON area if that's any help. I want to be prepped for the interview stage. 

Thanks!

Have you visited the Canadian regional forum?  

YMMV

Timeline
12 minutes ago, klgck said:

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

I went to my local Commissionaries and paid $50 to get it done. They take your print and take your photo and sent it off to the RCMP. It takes about 1 week for your results to come in if you don’t have a criminal record. Hope that helps.

Timeline
4 hours ago, LOve17 said:

I went to my local Commissionaries and paid $50 to get it done. They take your print and take your photo and sent it off to the RCMP. It takes about 1 week for your results to come in if you don’t have a criminal record. Hope that helps.

Thanks! Good to know it takes about a week. 

Did you let them know if it was for immigration purposes and specify the privacy act? I just keep seeing privacy act part being emphasized. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, klgck said:

Thanks! Good to know it takes about a week. 

Did you let them know if it was for immigration purposes and specify the privacy act? I just keep seeing privacy act part being emphasized. 

This is the little big of info I wrote down & took with me so I wouldn’t forget. They were pretty well informed. 

-Criminal records check under the privacy act (does not include image of applicants fingerprint)

-do not select visa/border crossing as purpose

You MUST specifically include “RCMP National Repository entire holdings”

-this is not a certified copy, that’s fine <— this last parts in case they try to tell you it’s not certified.

Edited by LOve17

Timeline
4 hours ago, LOve17 said:

This is the little big of info I wrote down & took with me so I wouldn’t forget. They were pretty well informed. 

-Criminal records check under the privacy act (does not include image of applicants fingerprint)

-do not select visa/border crossing as purpose

You MUST specifically include “RCMP National Repository entire holdings”

-this is not a certified copy, that’s fine.

Perfect, I'll make note of that. Thanks you much! Very helpful. Good luck with the rest of your journey!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Canada Forum, from K1 P&P - As PC are country specific~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

I’ve been looking for an answer to this as well, I “think” it’s the local OPP offices that do these checks. I just saw an article on my local news site today that the fees for “Livescan on behalf of RCMP” have changed as of July 1st. 

If this is the correct check, the RCMP Livescan fee is $25 plus a $65 fee to the OPP for fingerprinting. 

Hope that helps, but I’d really like to find a definite answer as well! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, minails said:

I’ve been looking for an answer to this as well, I “think” it’s the local OPP offices that do these checks. I just saw an article on my local news site today that the fees for “Livescan on behalf of RCMP” have changed as of July 1st. 

If this is the correct check, the RCMP Livescan fee is $25 plus a $65 fee to the OPP for fingerprinting. 

Hope that helps, but I’d really like to find a definite answer as well! 

Oh, interesting! I've checked their site and they seem to provide the same services the local police stations provide, which doesn't appear to be the one we will need. I think I am going to go to the Commissionaires since that's what I've seen most on the forums. 

Edit: Also, congrats on your approval! Hoping for the best with your next steps! 

Edited by klgck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to the local RCMP.

Just request an uncertified criminal record check under the privacy act, make sure you state it's a fingerprint based check, and that you also request RCMP National Repository entire holdings.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, klgck said:

Oh, interesting! I've checked their site and they seem to provide the same services the local police stations provide, which doesn't appear to be the one we will need. I think I am going to go to the Commissionaires since that's what I've seen most on the forums. 

Edit: Also, congrats on your approval! Hoping for the best with your next steps! 

Thank you @klgck I’m very excited to see my fiancé tomorrow and see the hard copy in my hands! 

I don’t have a Commissoinaire or an RCMP office in my city, as you know the website says to attend your local police station, but I haven’t found any mention of the privacy act check on their site which is why I thought I may have figured it out when I saw the OPP prices today. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, minails said:

Thank you @klgck I’m very excited to see my fiancé tomorrow and see the hard copy in my hands! 

I don’t have a Commissoinaire or an RCMP office in my city, as you know the website says to attend your local police station, but I haven’t found any mention of the privacy act check on their site which is why I thought I may have figured it out when I saw the OPP prices today. 

Totally makes sense. Both the Commissionaire and RCMP aren't in my city either and it's such a pain! Did the OPP mention the privacy act at all? I was thinking about contacting my local police station and speaking with someone. 

Timeline
34 minutes ago, klgck said:

Totally makes sense. Both the Commissionaire and RCMP aren't in my city either and it's such a pain! Did the OPP mention the privacy act at all? I was thinking about contacting my local police station and speaking with someone. 

Since we’ve had this chat I was thinking I’d make some phone calls tomorrow. 

In my experience, it’s hard to call the local police station or even show up since the duty officers are just randomly assigned to babysitting the duty station and this just isn’t something they see every day. If local police are able to do it, I know you have to book an appointment because they need to make sure that there’s someone available to take fingerprints. 

I’ll let you know what I learn on the phone tomorrow! 

Timeline
8 hours ago, minails said:

Since we’ve had this chat I was thinking I’d make some phone calls tomorrow. 

In my experience, it’s hard to call the local police station or even show up since the duty officers are just randomly assigned to babysitting the duty station and this just isn’t something they see every day. If local police are able to do it, I know you have to book an appointment because they need to make sure that there’s someone available to take fingerprints. 

I’ll let you know what I learn on the phone tomorrow! 

Yes, that true. I've only ever received a check there for work and volunteer purposes! Simple in and out, but this one seems a bit more complicated haha. Looking forward to what you hear! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.