jo.mburu

How to sponsor mother of USC for permanent residence?

16 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I want to sponsor my mother age 62 for permanent residence. I am us citizen. Kindly please advise what is the process for filing. She just arrived in USA on visitor visa. The stamp is valid till January.

I would really appricate if someone Please advise me about cover letter list of documents, etc.  If anyone is keeping a thread about processing times, etc, please share.

Can I file both 130 and 485 togather? Does she have to go back, or does she have to apply for extension on visitor visa?

Regards,

Jo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
3 hours ago, databit said:

Start investigating her health insurance costs now. You may be horribly surprised, unless you earn a high income.

That is not the question she/he asked.

Timeline
4 hours ago, jo.mburu said:

Hello All,

I want to sponsor my mother age 62 for permanent residence. I am us citizen. Kindly please advise what is the process for filing. She just arrived in USA on visitor visa. The stamp is valid till January.

I would really appricate if someone Please advise me about cover letter list of documents, etc.  If anyone is keeping a thread about processing times, etc, please share.

Can I file both 130 and 485 togather? Does she have to go back, or does she have to apply for extension on visitor visa?

Regards,

Jo

Yes you can file both together. They dont have to leave or extend visa.  You need to complete and file forms i-130, i-485, i-131, 1-765, i-693. i-131 and i-765 are optional if she want to work and if she need to leave before AOS is approved. Processing times is long something like a year +.

35 minutes ago, azblk said:

Yes you can file both together. They dont have to leave or extend visa.  You need to complete and file forms i-130, i-485, i-131, 1-765, i-693. i-131 and i-765 are optional if she want to work and if she need to leave before AOS is approved. Processing times is long something like a year +.

Thank you very much. 

Is there any interview for Green Card for parents?

Does processing time depend on Local USCIS office or from central location like vermont or california?

Regards,
Jo

Timeline
45 minutes ago, jo.mburu said:

Thank you very much. 

Is there any interview for Green Card for parents?

Does processing time depend on Local USCIS office or from central location like vermont or california?

Regards,
Jo

Yes they will  do an interview. Processing time is now long in almost all cases.  You case first goes to NBC where they do preliminary work on it before it is sent to your local office. So it depends alot on your local office. NBC is normally done within 6 months and then its the local office from there on out.

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, azblk said:

That is not the question she/he asked.

But it may well be the next question the Feds ask:

Q. How is it determined whether someone is likely to become a public charge for admission or adjustment purposes?

A. Inadmissibility based on the public charge ground is determined by the totality of the circumstances. This means that the adjudicating officer must weigh both the positive and negative factors when determining the likelihood that someone might become a public charge. At a minimum, a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officer must consider the following factors when making a public charge determination:

Timeline
18 minutes ago, databit said:

But it may well be the next question the Feds ask:

Q. How is it determined whether someone is likely to become a public charge for admission or adjustment purposes?

A. Inadmissibility based on the public charge ground is determined by the totality of the circumstances. This means that the adjudicating officer must weigh both the positive and negative factors when determining the likelihood that someone might become a public charge. At a minimum, a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officer must consider the following factors when making a public charge determination:

For starters you are NOT an immigration officer determining whether the OPs mother could become a public charge. You have no idea of the health or wealth of the OPs mother yet you have no problem insinuating that her medical cost will be excessive. There is the Obamacare exchanges that the mother can buy her health insurance if needed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
12 hours ago, azblk said:

For starters you are NOT an immigration officer determining whether the OPs mother could become a public charge. You have no idea of the health or wealth of the OPs mother yet you have no problem insinuating that her medical cost will be excessive. There is the Obamacare exchanges that the mother can buy her health insurance if needed.

Why would it not be needed?

How do you know what their situation is, we are here to help not to judge.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
46 minutes ago, jo.mburu said:

Well this is going off topic and political,

Thank you for all those who replied.

If I remember correctly form 864 addresses just that, financial support.

Yes that is correct and you will have to complete one for your mother as her sponsor. Good luck on your journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
23 hours ago, jo.mburu said:

Hello All,

Regards,

Jo

Processing time is the same as a spousal visa, more than a year.  If she stays and you file for adjustment of status she won't be able to work or travel out of the US for a period of 6-8 months while waiting for EAD/AP.  If you file I-130 for her and she goes back home before January and waits the rest of the time in her home country she will interview abroad and once she immigrates she will be able to work and travel immediately.  So it depends on whether she works or not, whether she needs to go home before the 6-8 month period while waiting for EAD/AP if you choose AOS in the US, if she has affairs to take care of in her home country, a job back home, family matters to wrap up, etc.  And as others have said either way you will need sufficient income to sponsor her or find a co-sponsor and either way she will need a medical examination.  Good luck!

43 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Processing time is the same as a spousal visa, more than a year.  If she stays and you file for adjustment of status she won't be able to work or travel out of the US for a period of 6-8 months while waiting for EAD/AP.  If you file I-130 for her and she goes back home before January and waits the rest of the time in her home country she will interview abroad and once she immigrates she will be able to work and travel immediately.  So it depends on whether she works or not, whether she needs to go home before the 6-8 month period while waiting for EAD/AP if you choose AOS in the US, if she has affairs to take care of in her home country, a job back home, family matters to wrap up, etc.  And as others have said either way you will need sufficient income to sponsor her or find a co-sponsor and either way she will need a medical examination.  Good luck!

Thank you, my mother  can wait for AOS :) It would be my pleasure to take care of the rest :)

Edited by jo.mburu

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That does bring up another issue , her travel insurance would have been based on her visiting, now she is staying she needs to find cover suitable for Residents.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.