Cg2008

Question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

Since I am married to my husband who lives in India, is there a visa or a card that I can get to travel ? or do I always have to get an Evisa with a stay of 60 days or a visa for 6 months? I am asking because if we are denied for him to come here, then I plan to move.... 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Cg2008 said:

Hello,

Since I am married to my husband who lives in India, is there a visa or a card that I can get to travel ? or do I always have to get an Evisa with a stay of 60 days or a visa for 6 months? I am asking because if we are denied for him to come here, then I plan to move.... 

You can apply for OCI after 2 years of marriage otherwise you can request a 10 year tourist visa, but you cant stay longer then 6 months each time.

22 minutes ago, Cg2008 said:

Hello,

I have the older non e-Visa in my passport.  It shows good for stays up to 180 days.  It is the tourist visa.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Cg2008 said:

Hello,

If you are of Indian origin, you can get OCI card and then you won't need Visa.

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You have a few options -

evisa - easy/cheap to apply but limited duration

10 year tourist visa - only allows stays up to 6 months 

OR if you are married to an Indian then I believe you can apply for an ‘entry visa’ if you are spouse of person of Indian origin but I am not 100% clear on the duration

Like others mentioned, you aren’t eligible for OCI card until after being married 2 years. 

check visa details here and make sure you apply for Indian visa only through that official site. You can also contact cox & king for more info and to understand details of which visa would be best. 

https://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/entry-visa 

Edited by KozmicBlues

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

Timeline
On 7/2/2019 at 5:28 PM, Cg2008 said:

Hello,

Pretty sure you can stay longer than 180 days, you may just have to register your presence there if you intend to.

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 7/11/2019 at 1:59 AM, saladboye said:

Pretty sure you can stay longer than 180 days, you may just have to register your presence there if you intend to.

The correct visa for a spouse of an Indian citizen is an Entry Visa (the visa code is X-2). If you apply at American embassy with a valid Indian marriage certificate they should grant you a 5 year visa. This allows staying in India over 180 days if you can register. However, the FRRO is notoriously difficult to work with and denies what are otherwise valid requests regularly. I just looked at the requirements this week for registration and they are sort of funny about who is financially supporting foreigners (ie they don't allow you to work, do business activities and they want to see the Indian spouse is financially sound to support a foreigner). Anticipate needing to take a few days out of India every 6 months. The incoming immigration agents at the border have never questioned me about this and I've been staying in India regularly for over a year.

This said, I recommend avoiding a 10 year tourist visa if your spouse is Indian because the border agents going out of India do ask questions sometimes if you are a tourist on a long stay. 

I'm sure you know this already but living in India is very tough. Take care of yourself. Try to take some out of country vacations with husband to clear your mind when it gets hard. If you're waiting for a green card for him, be patient and try to take a trip or two back to home country for yourself. 

Edited by 9000miles
expanding indian visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.