Jump to content

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I got engaged to an american women few months ago. and she applied for the K1 visa. i am Lebanese,  and currently living in lebanon (since 2016)..  before that i used to work in Kuwait for 10 years. in 2014, i was screwed over financially (by my sponsor) and i got convicted for "bounce checks" and did one year and a half of jail time . i completed my time and went back to Lebanon, where my police record is clean!!! im reading that i need a police report for my embassy K1 visa interview, but i also read that police report are only available for applicant resident in Kuwait (which im not, since 2016).

what must i do, when asked if i was convicted of any crime, should i mention the cases i had in Kuwait or shall i ignore ?? will it affect my visa application? what should me my answers and action plan on that matter.. thank you for your kind help and advice  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you need to provide a police report for every country you have lived in for 6 months or longer since the age of 16. 

 

 


i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 131

04/19/2019    Rec'd appointment letter for biometrics

05/02/2019    Biometrics

05/15/2019    Submitted initial request for EAD expedite 5/22 faxed info

06/05/2019    EAD APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!  06/06/2019    AP Approval

06/13/2019    Combo Card Received in Mail

06/19/2019    Social Security Card received in mail

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, epita10 said:

Hello,

I got engaged to an american women few months ago. and she applied for the K1 visa. i am Lebanese,  and currently living in lebanon (since 2016)..  before that i used to work in Kuwait for 10 years. in 2014, i was screwed over financially (by my sponsor) and i got convicted for "bounce checks" and did one year and a half of jail time . i completed my time and went back to Lebanon, where my police record is clean!!! im reading that i need a police report for my embassy K1 visa interview, but i also read that police report are only available for applicant resident in Kuwait (which im not, since 2016).

what must i do, when asked if i was convicted of any crime, should i mention the cases i had in Kuwait or shall i ignore ?? will it affect my visa application? what should me my answers and action plan on that matter.. thank you for your kind help and advice  

You are required to be truthful about any criminal background.  To not disclose it could eventually lead to being barred from the US.  And like Debbie said, you will need police reports from all countries you have resided in for >6 months since age 16.

 

Sounds like the petition was already filed - did she know about the crimes when she filed it?

Edited by Jorgedig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You are required to be truthful about any criminal background.  To not disclose it could eventually lead to being barred from the US.  And like Debbie said, you will need police reports from all countries you have resided in for >6 months since age 16.

 

Sounds like the petition was already filed - did she know about the crimes when she filed it?

she has an idea of what happened but not about the jail time.. its not something that im proud of.. (even though it was out of my control)... anyways, i checked the US official site and they said that they only require police report from ppl who are currently residing in kuwait!! the information are contradictory 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, epita10 said:

she has an idea of what happened but not about the jail time.. its not something that im proud of.. (even though it was out of my control)... anyways, i checked the US official site and they said that they only require police report from ppl who are currently residing in kuwait!! the information are contradictory 

 

Even if you wouldn't have to hand in a police report from Kuwait you'll still have to disclose everything. The question will be if you EVER had a criminal record / committed a crime ANYWHERE.

 

Like others said, not disclosing it is most likely going to hurt you, now or in the future. They will find out one way or another. Lying to immigration will most likely result in a (permanent) bar from the US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

you need to provide a police report for every country you have lived in for 6 months or longer since the age of 16. 

 

 

This is not always the case...

 

Comments:  U.S. Citizens and other individuals: Available only to those residing in Kuwait; age 18 and above must get the police clearance certificate if they resided in the country for 6 months or more.

 

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, boris64 said:

This is not always the case...

 

Comments:  U.S. Citizens and other individuals: Available only to those residing in Kuwait; age 18 and above must get the police clearance certificate if they resided in the country for 6 months or more.

 

that is true. unfortunately its causing a conflict. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, epita10 said:

that is true. unfortunately its causing a conflict. 

If asked...verbally or on a form you must disclose all criminal history...


Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, epita10 said:

she has an idea of what happened but not about the jail time.. its not something that im proud of.. (even though it was out of my control)... anyways, i checked the US official site and they said that they only require police report from ppl who are currently residing in kuwait!! the information are contradictory 

 

You might want to have a heart to heart with your fiancee about everything that occurred.  There have been VJ members who had their partners find out details about the criminal backgrounds during the visa interviews.  Not ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...