nosleep

Sponsor a travel visa?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 6/23/2019 at 7:27 AM, nosleep said:

The reason for denials seem more stringent for some countries.  It's obviously not uniform from country to country - not owning a home or real estate was a reason given because they wanted to see this as evidence for ties to the home country.  This seems like it's just an excuse since people from many other countries don't appear to have this requirement.

Thanks for your responses

On the DS160 there is no question if the applicant owns any kind of land or vehicle properties. They don't ask for any financial status either.  It only asks if you're employed, who the employer is and what are your duties as an employee.  I guess they base their decision on that... If your working for a credible company and if your position is "important" enough to not leave it (also salary wise). They must have a bracket or something. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
38 minutes ago, apple21 said:

On the DS160 there is no question if the applicant owns any kind of land or vehicle properties. They don't ask for any financial status either.  It only asks if you're employed, who the employer is and what are your duties as an employee.  I guess they base their decision on that... If your working for a credible company and if your position is "important" enough to not leave it (also salary wise). They must have a bracket or something. 

This is my point, It seems much more difficult for a single Chinese woman to get a tourist visa to visit the US.  There are a few countries that are just much more difficult than others.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, nosleep said:

This is my point, It seems much more difficult for a single Chinese woman to get a tourist visa to visit the US.  There are a few countries that are just much more difficult than others.

True, my country the Philippines is one of those difficult ones. My parents' applied for b2 visas as well and they are both already retired at the time but still the officer asked what their previous occupations were (they also indicated that on their ds160).

29 minutes ago, nosleep said:

I’m curious, what in the extract you refer to makes it more difficult for a single Chinese woman to get a visa than a single European woman or a single Latin American male, for example?  All of them get asked the same questions on the DS160.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
12 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I’m curious, what in the extract you refer to makes it more difficult for a single Chinese woman to get a visa than a single European woman or a single Latin American male, for example?  All of them get asked the same questions on the DS160.

It is well known, the majority do not pass the interview.  I don't have the answers as to why, but searching through VJ it seems to be pretty common.

Edited by nosleep

3 minutes ago, nosleep said:

It is well known, the majority do not pass the interview.  I don't have the answers as to why, but searching through VJ it seems to be pretty common.

I'm not sure "majority" is correct, but B visa approval data is accessible to the public.

And again, the differences in approvals by country is largely due to past behavior by travelers of those countries.  It is all data driven.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 6/23/2019 at 9:25 PM, nosleep said:

Unfortunately the government doesn't seem to have the will or desire to take action on those who overstay which practically encourages further bad behavior.  As a result, there are a lot of legitimate people with the lawful intentions who pay the price... but that's getting a bit off topic here.  

I beg to differ, or at least add another perspective.

The U.S. Government is very happy to take action against those who overstay AND LEAVE the U.S. 

I speak from personal experience as someone who (significantly) overstayed VWP nearly 20 years ago and has been unable to visit the U.S. ever since and probably never will be able to again.

The ones the government seem to have no will or desire to take action against are those who overstay and never leave, at least not as tourists.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

9 hours ago, nosleep said:

“It is well known”

ah, “they say”. Let’s look at some numbers. The B2 refusal rate for China is 17%, not particularly low, not particularly high. If “the majority” of single Chinese woman (what is majority? 51%? 90%?) do not pass the interview, but the overall rate is 17%, that implies the percentage of applicants that are single Chinese women must be pretty low, and that they are looked at totally differently to single men and families. Is that all also “well known”, or does the logic start looking a little faulty?

searching on VJ - of course! Most people who get a visa don’t come on and say “hey! I got  a visa no problem!” They just go visit the US. Who comes onto VJ to post? Those that don’t get a visa! You are using an inherently biased sample to draw your inference.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.