mitchfw

I864 Negative Adjusted Gross Income (because Foreign Earned Income Exclusion)

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My gross income for the past 4 years (1040 line 7 wages + 1040 line 12 business income from my freelancing business) is more than the 125% of the poverty line requirement.

However, I have been living abroad full time and have taken the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. This and some other above the line deductions have resulted in my Adjusted Gross Income being $0 or negative for the past 4 years.

For the I-864, Part 6, Line 7, should I put my gross income (1040 line 7 wages + 1040 line 12 business income)?

For I-864, Part 6, Line 24.a, 24.b 24.c it says I should put my adjusted gross income. Should I put the negative number? Or should I put $0?

Does anyone have experience with $0 or negative adjusted gross incomes? Did you need to get a Join Sponsor? Should I include a letter trying to explain my taxes to the officer?

Thanks for your time,

Mitchell

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
18 hours ago, mitchfw said:

Hello everyone,

My gross income for the past 4 years (1040 line 7 wages + 1040 line 12 business income from my freelancing business) is more than the 125% of the poverty line requirement.

However, I have been living abroad full time and have taken the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. This and some other above the line deductions have resulted in my Adjusted Gross Income being $0 or negative for the past 4 years.

For the I-864, Part 6, Line 7, should I put my gross income (1040 line 7 wages + 1040 line 12 business income)?

For I-864, Part 6, Line 24.a, 24.b 24.c it says I should put my adjusted gross income. Should I put the negative number? Or should I put $0?

Does anyone have experience with $0 or negative adjusted gross incomes? Did you need to get a Join Sponsor? Should I include a letter trying to explain my taxes to the officer?

Thanks for your time,

Mitchell

Foreign income is discounted for purposes of support affidavit unless that income will continue from the same source when you return to the US.

But to answer you put your actual income, not your adjusted gross after the exclusion.

Then they will discount it.  Absent assets or continuing income in the US you need a joint sponsor:

• 4 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 6/14/2019 at 9:44 AM, Nitas_man said:

Foreign income is discounted for purposes of support affidavit unless that income will continue from the same source when you return to the US.

Hi Nitas_man, thanks for sharing.

Do you have evidence that foreign income is discounted? Even with evidence and bank statements? Where is the case law or instruction that provides evidence to your claim? I am in a similar situation as the above poster. I own a house in the U.S. however my income for the last 2 years has all be "negative on my IRS 1040 because I work and live abroad. I maintain ties and can prove domicile/intended domicile, however if in fact USCIS discounts foreign earned income, it causes a problem =\

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 10/16/2019 at 2:21 AM, MichaelNM said:

Hi Nitas_man, thanks for sharing.

Do you have evidence that foreign income is discounted? Even with evidence and bank statements? Where is the case law or instruction that provides evidence to your claim? I am in a similar situation as the above poster. I own a house in the U.S. however my income for the last 2 years has all be "negative on my IRS 1040 because I work and live abroad. I maintain ties and can prove domicile/intended domicile, however if in fact USCIS discounts foreign earned income, it causes a problem =\

Evidence?  LOL 

We processed twice from overseas. Once in 2012, again last year.  
Mine wasn’t negative on tax returns.  It was 6 figures (after) the exclusion.
They completely dismissed my overseas income.  I had to show cash assets or get a joint sponsor.

Edited by Nitas_man

Foreign income does not count in a DCF.   The only thing that will count is CASH that you saved foreign or domestic.  You need to have a joint sponsor (or assets) or find a really good job in the US and move back.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Bumping this topic, because I have negative adjusted gross income of -10000 or something and am wondering if this influences their decision at all?

Also, how much savings would I have to show in a bank account, so I wouldn't have to have a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support? 

Last, I have a job offer sheet that says my yearly salary (49,900) for the upcoming year. Can this count as evidence of support?

Thanks in advance for the help! You commenters are my heroes!

John

34 minutes ago, jlachine said:

how much savings would I have to show in a bank account, so I wouldn't have to have a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support? 

3x I-864P amount.

34 minutes ago, jlachine said:

Last, I have a job offer sheet that says my yearly salary (49,900) for the upcoming year. Can this count as evidence of support?

Yes if you are DCF,

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

• 4 weeks later...

@Paul & Mary

We are gathering all the documentation for the DCF interview... This is what they're asking for the evidence of support... Do you know where my job offer sheet with my salary will factor into play?

I will also keep this post updated about how they treat my taxes, because my most recent income tax return shows me in the negative with the foreign tax income credit.

EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: The U.S. Petitioner must submit a contractual Affidavit of Support:

1) Form I-864, (and/or I-864EZ and I-864A) on behalf of the intending immigrant. Please review www.uscis.gov to determine which form(s) apply/applies to you. The U.S. Petitioner must also

submit: 2) Complete copies of the individual U.S. federal income tax return for the most recent taxable year (form 1040, W2 and 1099).

Note: If the U.S. Petitioner has no current U.S. income, he/she will also need to either need to provide proof of assets or find a financial joint sponsor who completes an additional Affidavit of Support with supporting documents.

***FINANCIAL SPONSORSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES:  Financial sponsors, joint sponsors, and applicants should be aware of the responsibilities arising from a sponsor signing an I-864 and the consequences of a sponsored immigrant’s acceptance of federal means-tested public benefits.  For more information visit: https://travel.state.gov/i-864.

Edited by jlachine

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2019 at 12:56 PM, jlachine said:

@Paul & Mary

We are gathering all the documentation for the DCF interview... This is what they're asking for the evidence of support... Do you know where my job offer sheet with my salary will factor into play?

I will also keep this post updated about how they treat my taxes, because my most recent income tax return shows me in the negative with the foreign tax income credit.

EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: The U.S. Petitioner must submit a contractual Affidavit of Support:

1) Form I-864, (and/or I-864EZ and I-864A) on behalf of the intending immigrant. Please review www.uscis.gov to determine which form(s) apply/applies to you. The U.S. Petitioner must also

submit: 2) Complete copies of the individual U.S. federal income tax return for the most recent taxable year (form 1040, W2 and 1099).

Note: If the U.S. Petitioner has no current U.S. income, he/she will also need to either need to provide proof of assets or find a financial joint sponsor who completes an additional Affidavit of Support with supporting documents.

***FINANCIAL SPONSORSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES:  Financial sponsors, joint sponsors, and applicants should be aware of the responsibilities arising from a sponsor signing an I-864 and the consequences of a sponsored immigrant’s acceptance of federal means-tested public benefits.  For more information visit: https://travel.state.gov/i-864.

Any update on this. We have the same problem.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
25 minutes ago, PIRuby said:

Any update on this. We have the same problem.

What problem do you have?  They don't care about your historical adjusted gross income,  they care about CURRENT income 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.