Spotify

I-485 Denied Admission/Visa to the US Question

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

On Form I-485 of Part 8, Question 14-15.

14.  Have you EVER been denied admission to the United States? (Yes / No)

15.  Have you EVER been denied a visa to the United States? (Yes / No)

So my wife, applied for a US tourist visa (B2) a few years ago and got denied.  Is it OK if I answer NO to 14 and YES to 15. 

She was denied a visa to the US.... but I'm assuming this doesn't mean she was denied admission to the US?  OR does it mean if you were denied a visa to the US, therefore, you are denied admission to the US as well?   Kind of confused.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
53 minutes ago, Spotify said:

Hello,

On Form I-485 of Part 8, Question 14-15.

14.  Have you EVER been denied admission to the United States? (Yes / No)

15.  Have you EVER been denied a visa to the United States? (Yes / No)

So my wife, applied for a US tourist visa (B2) a few years ago and got denied.  Is it OK if I answer NO to 14 and YES to 15. 

She was denied a visa to the US.... but I'm assuming this doesn't mean she was denied admission to the US?  OR does it mean if you were denied a visa to the US, therefore, you are denied admission to the US as well?   Kind of confused.

This was our situation as well, and we answered as you described. We took question 14 to mean "denial at the border/PoE" and since she never attempted entry to US it was No to 14, and Yes to 15. 

1 hour ago, Unlockable said:

HI,

You are correct. 

14. No

15. Yes

Being denied admission means that they were at a US point of entry and was not let in. For example, if your wife had a visa and flew to JFK airport in New York, and when she exited the plane she spoke with a customs officer who denied her entry for some reason and she had to fly back home. That would be a denial of admission.

Thanks, it makes sense!

14 minutes ago, Shiran said:

This was our situation as well, and we answered as you described. We took question 14 to mean "denial at the border/PoE" and since she never attempted entry to US it was No to 14, and Yes to 15. 

Cool, thanks for the confirmation!

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 6/8/2019 at 1:34 AM, Shiran said:

Same exact situation with my fiancee.

I'm assuming there's no reason to believe that answering YES to Question 15 would create any danger of the i-485 not being approved?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hemutian said:

Same exact situation with my fiancee.

I'm assuming there's no reason to believe that answering YES to Question 15 would create any danger of the i-485 not being approved?

Seeing how our AoS/Green Card was verbally approved today, I would say no. Explain reason for denial at the end of the form where they provide extra room.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Seeing how our AoS/Green Card was verbally approved today, I would say no. Explain reason for denial at the end of the form where they provide extra room.

Thanks, and congratulations!

15 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Thanks, and congratulations!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone I think I incorrectly answered to this question "Have you ever been denied a visa to the united states". I thought of it as a visa petition and answered yes in the interview even though my application said No. The interview officer changed it to Yes and put a note "renewal" and made me sign the end of the document because there was a change in the application. We had our interview on 12/17/2020 and our I-130 was approved yesterday (12/18/2020) but I-485 says "Interview completed but case is under review". Will this cause any problem because I incorrectly answered this question? 

Edited by Maddie0219

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.