LB&OB

Expedite i130 due to medical reason

25 posts in this topic

Your condition was on dr Pimple Popper the other day - no antibiotics, she treated the person with steroid shots in inflamed area and it was successful. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

I know nothing about the expedite process or your condition...but looking at it from an outsider’s perspective, I don’t understand your reason for an expedite...and my worry would be, if USCIS don’t understand it either, it’ll presumably be rejected...

I understand you’re having surgery...but millions of people have surgery every day, so that’s not really a special case...

If you were filing under the financial hardship category, because this illness has left you unable to work, that would make sense (though I’ve no idea how it works in that respect, as surely when an immigrant first arrives, they cost money rather than make money - in fact, I don’t know if this category is even an option at this stage).

If you were filing because you need your partner there to care for you, because you’ll  be incapacitated and there is no one in America that can care for you, that would make sense (though I think that would be a hard one to convince them of).

If you were filing because you’re terminally ill and have limited time left, I’d understand that, from a humanitarian perspective.

But yes, I don’t really understand your reasons (the way I read it, it doesn’t really sound like you have a reason). As I said, I don’t know anything about the expedite process or the categories, but I’m fairly confident they will need a clear, justifiable reason to accept your expedite - and unless I’m not reading your posts correctly, I’m not seeing one?

OP, I do hope you get the surgery you need and the relief from the pain. 

I know personally of someone who was approved for an expedite for medical reasons. The USC was in advanced liver failure and awaiting a transplant. The case was expedited do that the family member (his minor child) could be reunited with her father as his death was a very realistic possibility. I always use this as my yardstick for what kind of reasons will see an approved expedite. 

There have been claims on here of expedites being granted for pregnancy or minor medical situations but without knowing the specifics it’s hard to say why they were approved (if indeed they were). 

My understanding that “humanitarian reasons” is for people whose lives are at risk where they are due to war or persecution.   

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

17 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

i have the same thing though not severe.

i seriously doubt your case will be expedited on that

i agree, I think you must be on your death bed for USCIS to expedite your request for medical reasons.

You must be given last rites for your expedite to be approved.

I was in treatment for cancer when we were applying for a CR-1, but it was not in my opinion a reason for expedition.  

I believe "Humanitarian reasons" is for more of a spouse who is in a country that is at war, or being threatened.   Not really for the person to come to the US for surgery. 

Heck, they even grilled my husband on him potentially being a financial burden to the state for his medical costs.  (Even though he was insured in America, and from Denmark, who has free healthcare) 

Met in a magical castle in Poland through our mutual love for Harry Potter. Now can not wait to spend our lives together!

Married: 08/08/2016 in Leavenworth, WA on the lovely Voldemort Day!

Accio Visa!!

USCIS Stage

I-130 Sent to Phoenix: 09/14/2016
I-130 NOA1: 2016-09-21
Transferred to Texas

I-130 NOA2: 2016-10-11

Sent to NVC: 2016-10-25

NVC Stage

*Delayed due to 2.5 week trip to Copenhagen to visit the hubby!*

NVC Received: 2016-11-01

NVC Case Number Assigned: 2016-11-10

IV Bill Received: 2016-11-01

DS-261/AOS Bill Received: 2016-11-15

AOS Bill Paid: 2016-11-28

IV Bill Paid: 2016-11-28

DS-261 Submitted: 2016-12-01

AOS Package Sent: 2016-12-05

AOS/Support Documents Scan Date: 2016-12-14

NVC Sent to Supervisor Review: 2017-01-26

NVC Sent to review Department: 2017-02-10

NVC Case Complete: 2017-03-06

Embassy Stage - Stockholm

Interview Scheduled: 2017-04-11

Entered the Country: 2017-06-20

ROC:

Package Delivered to PHX/Recieved Date: 2019-04-19

Creditcard Charged for Case: 2019-04-24

Text of Recieved date: 2019-04-25

You can  definitely  Request for an expedite on your petition. You only have to provide evidence regarding your request. USCIS did expedite my petition without us asking to because they knew that my son needed a  surgery and I had to be with him during his surgery. It took two months to get my CR1 visa even though that my nationality is under the travel ban. USCIS can be helpful if you do provide them the right documents. Hope you can get your expedite approved. 

2 minutes ago, Alsharai said:

You can  definitely  Request for an expedite on your petition. You only have to provide evidence regarding your request. USCIS did expedite my petition without us asking to because they knew that my son needed a  surgery and I had to be with him during his surgery. It took two months to get my CR1 visa even though that my nationality is under the travel ban. USCIS can be helpful if you do provide them the right documents. Hope you can get your expedite approved. 

Yes I’ve sent in all documentation letters from the doctors and also pictures of my flare ups my case is more severe then others that have HS everyone’s body is different and react differently for things. People can be so negative sometimes why we just can’t hope the best for everyone situation and cases. Thank you for your uplifting comment. 

2 hours ago, dirtyhippiegirl said:

Typical axillary HS surgery isn't incapacitating. It's usually a 1 to 2 hour outpatient surgery at my hospital. Sometimes an overnight stay for pain control. Most folks are back at work in a week or two.

In my case it is when I have a flare up I can not move that arm at all it’s to painful to ever case is totally different everyone body reacts differently to things I have a very severe case. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.