mazenkanso

my advice when uploading i864 .pdf

25 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

today i received from NVC to reupload the affidavit of support i864  that is not editable and not password protected.

this is the second time i am requested to do so by NVC.

1 hour ago, mazenkanso said:

today i received from NVC to reupload the affidavit of support i864  that is not editable and not password protected.

Did you submit the pdf you just filled out? That is no good, it needs to be printed, signed, scanned and uploaded. That would explain the "not editable" remark...

Timeline

i actually compressed the original .pdf  file and when i did , it could not be edited it any more as per their requirement and it did not need to be unzipped to make it easier.

all under 2MB size.

Timeline
1 hour ago, DJ C said:

Did you submit the pdf you just filled out? That is no good, it needs to be printed, signed, scanned and uploaded. That would explain the "not editable" remark...

i actually compressed the original .pdf  file and when i did , it could not be edited it any more as per their requirement and it did not need to be unzipped to make it easier.

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
5 hours ago, mazenkanso said:

I reckon, the problem comes when you fill the form electronically. The form file is "secured" to begin with and you can see it on the title when you open it on PDF reader, so if it's still showing that then it's mean the file is secured and therefore NVC always reject it.

My recommendation is you print it as a new pdf to remove the security lock from the original file or print it manually and re-scanned it.

Edited by vince88

On 6/4/2019 at 7:41 AM, mazenkanso said:

Hello everyone, I have a question about I864. I have not filed my taxes form 2018 yet, because my spouse isnt in the United States to get SSN and to apply for an ITIIN Number form W7 from the IRS shows in a field to put the date of Entry into the USA. Anyone knows something about this? Any recommendation? Thank you. 

On 6/7/2019 at 4:18 PM, alvacastillo said:

Hello everyone, I have a question about I864. I have not filed my taxes form 2018 yet, because my spouse isnt in the United States to get SSN and to apply for an ITIIN Number form W7 from the IRS shows in a field to put the date of Entry into the USA. Anyone knows something about this? Any recommendation? Thank you. 

We have similar question:  beneficiary doesn't have ITIN yet so petitioner's taxes form 2018 is not filed yet. How to approach it in the best?

Hi I checked the NVC website...

Extensions: If you filed an extension for the most recent tax year, submit a photocopy of your IRS Form 4868 (PDF - 509 KB), or write and sign a statement indicating you filed an extension, along with a tax transcript or tax return from the previous year.

If you did not file taxes: If you did not file Federal Income Tax Returns for the most recent tax year, write and sign a statement indicating why you did not file taxes.

So I will sent the extension. 

On 6/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, alvacastillo said:

On 6/12/2019 at 7:06 PM, tomuk said:

We have similar question:  beneficiary doesn't have ITIN yet so petitioner's taxes form 2018 is not filed yet. How to approach it in the best?

You would only need your spouse to have a SSN or ITIN if you are filing married jointly. 

I filed my 2018 Taxes as married filing separate, printed out and wrote "NRA" in the 1040 spouse social/ITIN textbox as I read on several forum posts. Taxes went through with no issues. 

On 6/14/2019 at 8:07 PM, dvaquerano said:

You would only need your spouse to have a SSN or ITIN if you are filing married jointly. 

I filed my 2018 Taxes as married filing separate, printed out and wrote "NRA" in the 1040 spouse social/ITIN textbox as I read on several forum posts. Taxes went through with no issues. 

NRA should not be possible since 2017 as law has been changed. I don’t have certain link now but my wife came with this information.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
8 hours ago, Enemyz said:

I'm ready to upload my i864 but I'm wondering about the secured part. What's the best way to upload that it that gets accepted. 

after you finish filled it in just print it as a new PDF and you'll be all good to go

On 6/17/2019 at 10:16 AM, tomuk said:

NRA should not be possible since 2017 as law has been changed. I don’t have certain link now but my wife came with this information.

My tax lady filed us married filing jointly with no itin number for my wife and just wrote down her name and left the social number blank. She said the irs would see her name on the immigration side and see that we’re were married with a pending petition. It worked perfectly since I received the married refund with both our names on the check plus we”re listed as married filing jointly not separately.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline

I handled the tax situation the same as some others in the forum -- I filed for the 2018 tax year as "married, filing separately" since my husband is still in Portugal during the CR-1 process. In your immigration documents, if you didn't file taxes, be honest and say you didn't then explain why. 

Best of luck.

Marriage: 2018-12-28 [in Portugal]

I-130 Sent: 2019-02-24

I-130 NOA1: 2019-03-07

I-130 Approved: 2019-05-31

NVC Received: 2019-06-19 

Case/invoice number assigned: 2019-08-27

IV/AOS fees paid: 2019-08-28

NVC docs submitted: 2019-09-21 

DQ at NVC: 2019-10-08

Interview letter received: 2019-10-24

Interview date: 2019-11-06

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2019 at 6:41 AM, mazenkanso said:

The same thing happened to me. Did you end up printing it out, scanning it and reuploading it? Was that accepted?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.