30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cocoza said:

I guess i have not been clear on what exactly my supposed research is about. I know Health Insurance in general is important for everyone once they finally come in BUT my question is in relation to the immediate I130 application process. So for instance, within the next 1 year or so that my parents application gets approved and they go in for an interview, what adverse effect does the availability or not of health insurance/funds have at that direct stage? Could the application get refused for not having either health insurance or enough funds to show for that or am i just thinking too much about this whole thing?

Again i am just trying to do research on this so i am fully prepared mentally and in any other respect when the time comes and not taken by surprise.

Interview stage is where you have to prove the intending immigrants will not become a public charge so yes it is possible to be refused at that stage if the CO deems the amount of funds insufficient.

36 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Here is an example of a petition rejected because of concern over healthcare costs

Thanks Susie!, you are the best. I looked through this and i think my parents should be fine based on their ages. They are just in their mid 60s. If they approved the OPs Mom at 71, then I am sure my folks would be just fine.

I am gradually getting all the answers i need.  :)

Thanks Again.

42 minutes ago, Cocoza said:

Thanks Susie!, you are the best. I looked through this and i think my parents should be fine based on their ages. They are just in their mid 60s. If they approved the OPs Mom at 71, then I am sure my folks would be just fine.

I am gradually getting all the answers i need.  :)

Thanks Again.

There are people here in their mid 60s who reported paying i think $600 or $700 a month per person in health insurance, plus deductibles, copays etc. Even if it doesn't come up at interview, you may want to ensure you are financially prepared for bringing your parents over.

19 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

There are people here in their mid 60s who reported paying i think $600 or $700 a month per person in health insurance, plus deductibles, copays etc. Even if it doesn't come up at interview, you may want to ensure you are financially prepared for bringing your parents over.

Yeah, i understand that. It's one step at a time. We would cross that hurdle when we get there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like the OP/Parents have the financial side covered.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

45 minutes ago, Cocoza said:

Yeah, i understand that. It's one step at a time. We would cross that hurdle when we get there.

Ok. Just realize that we have seen many posts on these forums that go something along the lines of "my parents are here now and OMG we didn't realize how expensive healthcare is". You shouldn't just be planning to pass the interview - you should be planning to be able to live decently. If your parents do not work for 10 years, they will be severely limited in what they can access through medicare and social security.

Here's a thread about planning costs for a 65-year old https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/656427-elderly-parent-health-insurance/

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Current silver market place ACA plan for a couple in mid 60s  is running 2700$ per month.. deductible $13000. 🤪

11 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Current silver market place ACA plan for a couple in mid 60s  is running 2700$ per month.. deductible $13000. 🤪

Without the subsidy. If they can get the subsidy, it will pay a substantial party of it. 

But yes, without the subsidy, it will be $1,500-$1,700 per person. I don't know about the $13,000 deductible. I was able to get my mom on a very decent plan with $1,500 deductible. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Without the subsidy. If they can get the subsidy, it will pay a substantial party of it. 

But yes, without the subsidy, it will be $1,500-$1,700 per person. I don't know about the $13,000 deductible. I was able to get my mom on a very decent plan with $1,500 deductible. 

Yes the subsidy can help if eligible ..depends  on each states requirements .. but as it’s based initially on estimates of income , if the income goes even $1 above the limit then ALL credits must be paid back at tax time. Can be as much as $24000 dollars.  Also our state only has one provider and 3 plans..... lowest deductible is $13000 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline

Well all of this dependent on individual circumstances including where they live and of course can change. What might be relevant today may not next year and Immigration is a long term process.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Well all of this dependent on individual circumstances including where they live and of course can change. What might be relevant today may not next year and Immigration is a long term process.

That’s true, but “I’ll cross that hurdle when I get to it” is not generally the best approach to immigration planning. 

Timeline
Just now, SusieQQQ said:

That’s true, but “I’ll cross that hurdle when I get to it” is not generally the best approach to immigration planning. 

Difficult to make any sensible comment without knowing any background, past normal working age so one option gone, presumably they are wealthy, or their child is wealthy and can afford this? Otherwise it would be first thing on the list, is it practical, where would they live how would they cover their medical costs.

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Difficult to make any sensible comment without knowing any background, past normal working age so one option gone, presumably they are wealthy, or their child is wealthy and can afford this? Otherwise it would be first thing on the list, is it practical, where would they live how would they cover their medical costs.

You’d think,but then how do you explain all the other posters who get surprised once the parents arrive?

the fact that first post is worried about income vs poverty guidelines tells me they are not wealthy, a wealthy family would not even have that cross their radar as a potential issue.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
6 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You’d think,but then how do you explain all the other posters who get surprised once the parents arrive?

the fact that first post is worried about income vs poverty guidelines tells me they are not wealthy, a wealthy family would not even have that cross their radar as a potential issue.

It is a  mystery, it is not that Healthcare issues in the US are  unknown.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.