TeamWelshican

Divorce decree for beneficiary

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Been while since i posted a topic and its been 6 month since a made an account and still have not submit our visa, there is a reason why and here it it:

So back when we got engaged we knew we needed our divorce decrees. I have my original, i copied all the pages unsure if all are needed but i did anyways. so i am all good. My fiance' though kept putting it off idk why work and such and finally he requested it around Jan. The offices in Wales take forever to get back to people so when they finally did they advised that they never got the filling papers and fee after the 6 week wait time from the initial submission petition for divorce. Honestly i was not surprise by this somewhat. His ex was a controlling, selfish gold digger type and of course she didn't cause she would have had to pay a fee and seeing has she left him with $40,000 of debt when they ended there was no way she would have paid. Now your like " well why didn't he check or file himself?" When they separated she was the one to get the paper work started (they both wanted out) she mailed it he signed and sent it back to her. Now at this time sadly is when his mother was in the hospital dying from an intestinal infection so he had much bigger issues going on and just assumed she handled it all. So in Feb. of this year he got a solicitor and got the paper work to finalize and complete but they couldnt use the old petition so he had to do it all again AND WAIT 6 WEEKS. Now as you can assume i was pissed mainly at the fact he knew in Oct we would need this and could have figured it out and had it handled but his lack of urgency caused more delay. That was are first ever fight in 2 yrs.

So this brings us to today. The solicitor has everything and is finishing so i am waiting for him to get it and send it to me so we can turn in the K1 Visa. My main question is, since it is dated for April of this year is that going to a huge issue? They separated and got "divorced" in their minds in summer 2015. we met on online in March of 2016. So i dont want them thinking he was married this whole time and was "cheating" on her cause thats not the case whats so ever. I assume since it only mention the decrees are needed to prove we are legal and able to marry it'll be fine but im paranoid i guess. 

You are required to show at the time of filling your visa application that you were both free to marry. Yours and his papers need to show this. That's it. Done. USCIS doesn't care about the drama. Get'r done.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Too long, didn’t read all of it but the short answer is that this won’t be a problem. I met my husband in 2012 whilst still legally married to (but separated from) my first husband. We divorced in 2013 and I married my current husband the following year. Not an issue to be in a relationship whilst still legally married to someone else, especially in places where there is no “no fault” divorce and a separation period is required by law. The only thing that matters is that you are legally free to marry on the date the petition is filed. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Thank you that what i figured is that it didn't matter has long has both of us are legally divorced and free to marry.  its just the paranoia of this whole process.

It will cause zero problems. My fiancé filed for divorce seven months after he and his ex wife separated - and two months before we started dating (ie, they’d been separated for nine months when our relationship started)...but his divorce took two years, so the date of his divorce being finalised is TWO days before the date on my K1 visa petition. We were approved with no RFE

It may cause scrutiny at some consulates, but not for London.  In NZ where my (now) husband is from, divorces take two years to become legal after separation.  We were already together while he was still legally married, and we filed the I-129f petition about 8-9 months after the decree absolute date.

Wasn't even questioned at his interview in Auckland, and I very much doubt it would be in London either.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 6/1/2019 at 1:12 PM, TeamWelshican said:

So i dont want them thinking......

Don't overthink this or all the rest of your processes.

I think that they might think that he was thinking that I thought....🤣😂 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.