myVisaJourney

10 years green card issued incorrectly

20 posts in this topic

My friend has been married for less than two years and she got a 10 years green card with no condition on it. When she got the visa her marriage was 14 months old and when she entered the us it was 17 months old. So they aren’t informing the uscis cuz they think that the uscis can’t make such mistake and even if they did, they will contact them on their own. 

This means that she is not going to apply for getting her condition removed before two years. So what happens if he doesn’t? 

USCIS makes green card mistakes all of the time. There were many printed in mass last year with the wrong expiration date, some people have recently had the wrong gender printed.

USCIS only makes statements on mistakes if they made the same mistake on THOUSANDS of cards. One mistake on one card, it’s up to the owner of the card to check for errors and return it if there are.

either way in the system it most likely has it under a 2 year green card which means if they don’t remove conditions then they will eventually be put into deportation proceedings.

Tell them to not play fast and loose, immigration doesn’t care if they get deported, USCIS believes it’s up to them to take accountability in their own immigration process either by knowing how to do it theirselves or by hiring a lawyer.

at the end of the day they know they got the wrong GC, they need to understand in the computer system it should show a 2 year green card issuance since it was a CR-1 visa.

Edited by Ash.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

1 minute ago, Ash. said:

USCIS makes green card mistakes all of the time. There were many printed in mass last year with the wrong expiration date, some people have recently had the wrong gender printed.

USCIS only makes statements on mistakes if they made the same mistake on THOUSANDS of cards. One mistake on one card, it’s up to the owner of the card to check for errors and return it if there are.

either way in the system it most likely has it under a 2 year green card which means if they don’t remove conditions then they will eventually be put into deportation proceedings.

Tell them to not play fast and loose, immigration doesn’t care if they get deported, USCIS believes it’s up to them to take accountability in their own immigration process either by knowing how to do it theirselves or by hiring a lawyer.

at the end of the day they know they got the wrong GC, they need to understand in the computer system it should show a 2 year green card issuance since it was a CR-1 visa.

That’s what I told her but her husband and lawyer believe that they deserved a 10 years gc, so let’s see! 

Idk why do people think that the uscis will overlook these mistakes and won’t investigate eventually 😕

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ash. said:

CR1 Visa can result in IR status if the marriage is older than two years at entry,  so CR1 Visa isn't the determining factor 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, myVisaJourney said:

That’s what I told her but her husband and lawyer believe that they deserved a 10 years gc,  

On what basis do the feel so deserved?

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, myVisaJourney said:

Her marriage was 1.7 years old at entry as I mentioned in the post. 

Yes,  but it was the age of the marriage NOT because it was a CR1 Visa as the Visa type is not relevant 

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ash. said:

correct!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, myVisaJourney said:

Age of her marriage was 1.7 years at entry

Yes.  Nobody is disputing that fact,  why do you feel compelled to keep mentioning? 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

31 minutes ago, myVisaJourney said:

That’s what I told her but her husband and lawyer believe that they deserved a 10 years gc, so let’s see! 

Idk why do people think that the uscis will overlook these mistakes and won’t investigate eventually 😕

Nothing you can do if the husband and lawyer think they are right.   When she applies for citizenship her gc may be revoked and she will be subject to deportation.

Tell you friend to get a FREE account here and make it not your problem.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.