13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Hi friends,

I hope you all are doing well.

I arrived in the US on May 8th and my partner and I got married on 21-May-2019. We applied for the marriage licence and got married on the same day at the Clerk and Recorder's office. We got the original marriage licence there itself. It was so quick and took less than 30 minutes for the whole process. We also got the certified copies of our marriage certificate for a nominal cost.

Now, I am working on the paperwork to submit my I-485 (Adjustment of Status (AOS)) form along with I-131 (Advance Parole) and I-765 (Work Authorization) form. I have gone through the USCIS website to understand the process, how to complete forms, and supporting documents that needs to be submitted and have found it little confusing.

As a K-1 Visa holder, I have few queries with regards to completing these forms:

I-485 FORM:

Part 1: Recent Immigration History:

A) Page 2 - Among the below options for question "When I last arrived in the United States, I:" which option should I select? Also, as the text box doesn't take numbers I cannot write "K-1" hence I am not sure what to write in the text box?

image.png.572d0cac7ff89b5680fd91307ad72f89.png 

B) Page 2 - The status on my Form I-94 is "K1"; however, as this section does not take numbers I am not sure what I should write as my status in the text box?

image.png.ad81a3a64abb1c45f0ed567d04568eb7.png

Part 2: Application Type or Filing Category:

A) Page 3 - For the below question, should I select "Yes" or "No" as a K-1 Visa holder?

image.png.763570334de62ae6c66b809b271f9abc.png

B) Page 4 - Under "Information About Your Immigration Category", as a K-1 Visa holder, do I need to answer Question 3 and 4 or Questions 5a to 9?. Since K-1 is a Non-Immigrant category but treated as Immigrant category, I am not sure if I need to complete these questions? Question 3 and 4 asks for Receipt Number and Priority date of Underlying Petition. Is my Form I-129F the Underlying Petition for Question 3 and 4? 

image.png.415d8bc5cc6681b833166a3a9cdc68bf.png

Part 3: Additional Information About You:

A) Page 4 - As I had applied and was approved for K-1 visa which is a Nonimmigrant visa treated like Immigrant visa, should my answer be "Yes" or "No" for Question 1 under Part 3?

image.png.ffec6662eec0816e84d4c8619b12a00f.png

Part 8: General Eligibility and Inadmissibility Grounds:

A) Page 13 - Since my answer to Question 63a. is "No", should I answer Question 63b as "No" or just I leave it blank

image.png.72226e3bcd0233f59570285fa33a0d00.png

My other question is:

Since I would be providing 2 passport size photos, certified copies of marriage certificate, copy of I-94, copy of K-1 visa with arrival stamp, and other supporting documents for my I-485 (Adjustment of Status (AOS)) form, do I need to provide these supporting documents again for my I-131 (Advance Parole) form and I-765 (Work Authorization) form as I would be submitting these forms along with my I-485 (Adjustment of Status (AOS)) form?

Sam

4 minutes ago, Liflead said:

Hi friends,

I hope you all are doing well.

I arrived in the US on May 8th and my partner and I got married on 21-May-2019. We applied for the marriage licence and got married on the same day at the Clerk and Recorder's office. We got the original marriage licence there itself. It was so quick and took less than 30 minutes for the whole process. We also got the certified copies of our marriage certificate for a nominal cost.

Now, I am working on the paperwork to submit my I-485 (Adjustment of Status (AOS)) form along with I-131 (Advance Parole) and I-765 (Work Authorization) form. I have gone through the USCIS website to understand the process, how to complete forms, and supporting documents that needs to be submitted and have found it little confusing.

As a K-1 Visa holder, I have few queries with regards to completing these forms:

I-485 FORM:

Part 1: Recent Immigration History:

A) Page 2 - Among the below options for question "When I last arrived in the United States, I:" which option should I select? Also, as the text box doesn't take numbers I cannot write "K-1" hence I am not sure what to write in the text box?

image.png.572d0cac7ff89b5680fd91307ad72f89.png 

22a. Handwrite "K1 Visa Holder".

B) Page 2 - The status on my Form I-94 is "K1"; however, as this section does not take numbers I am not sure what I should write as my status in the text box?

image.png.ad81a3a64abb1c45f0ed567d04568eb7.png

Handwrite "K1 Visa Holder".

Part 2: Application Type or Filing Category:

A) Page 3 - For the below question, should I select "Yes" or "No" as a K-1 Visa holder?

image.png.763570334de62ae6c66b809b271f9abc.png

No.

B) Page 4 - Under "Information About Your Immigration Category", as a K-1 Visa holder, do I need to answer Question 3 and 4 or Questions 5a to 9?. Since K-1 is a Non-Immigrant category but treated as Immigrant category, I am not sure if I need to complete these questions? Question 3 and 4 asks for Receipt Number and Priority date of Underlying Petition. Is my Form I-129F the Underlying Petition for Question 3 and 4? 

image.png.415d8bc5cc6681b833166a3a9cdc68bf.png

Yes.

3. WAC#

4. Noa1 received date.

Part 3: Additional Information About You:

A) Page 4 - As I had applied and was approved for K-1 visa which is a Nonimmigrant visa treated like Immigrant visa, should my answer be "Yes" or "No" for Question 1 under Part 3?

image.png.ffec6662eec0816e84d4c8619b12a00f.png

No. A K1 is a nonimmigrant Visa with immigrant internt only.

Part 8: General Eligibility and Inadmissibility Grounds:

A) Page 13 - Since my answer to Question 63a. is "No", should I answer Question 63b as "No" or just I leave it blank

image.png.72226e3bcd0233f59570285fa33a0d00.png

Blank.

My other question is:

Since I would be providing 2 passport size photos, certified copies of marriage certificate, copy of I-94, copy of K-1 visa with arrival stamp, and other supporting documents for my I-485 (Adjustment of Status (AOS)) form, do I need to provide these supporting documents again for my I-131 (Advance Parole) form and I-765 (Work Authorization) form as I would be submitting these forms along with my I-485 (Adjustment of Status (AOS)) form?

Yes. One PHOTOCOPY of everything for each form.

Sam

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

For 22.a we put in "Fiancee of US citizen" for 23.c Typed in K ONE, 245(i) is a No,  For Question 3, Part 2, put in WAC number for 129F, and priority date is "Received Date" on NOA1 for 129F.  We answered all of those. Easier it makes for them to verify your info, the better.  Part 3, Question 1 is a No, purpose of K-1 is not to obtain permanent residence.  We left 63.b blank.  

We probvided 2 pictures with each for for a total of 6 pictures. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

No.

Hi friend,

Thank you for your quick response. 

For Part 1, Page 2, Question A - Should I select option 22a?

Thanks

Sam

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Shiran said:

For 22.a we put in "Fiancee of US citizen" for 23.c Typed in K ONE, 245(i) is a No,  For Question 3, Part 2, put in WAC number for 129F, and priority date is "Received Date" on NOA1 for 129F.  We answered all of those. Easier it makes for them to verify your info, the better.  Part 3, Question 1 is a No, purpose of K-1 is not to obtain permanent residence.  We left 63.b blank.  

Thanks Shiran. :)

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Shiran said:

One more question:

I entered into the US at Dallas International Airport in Dallas, TEXAS and then had a domestic flight from Dallas to Grand Junction, COLORADO on the same day.

So what should be my answer to question "Place of Last Arrival into the United States"

Thanks

Sam

34 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

No.

One more question:

I entered into the US at Dallas International Airport in Dallas, TEXAS and then had a domestic flight from Dallas to Grand Junction, COLORADO on the same day.

So what should be my answer to question "Place of Last Arrival into the United States"

Thanks

Sam

1 minute ago, Liflead said:

One more question:

Thanks

Sam

One more question:

Thanks

Sam

Dallas, Tx.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Liflead said:

We put our PoE (New York, NY) in our case. So I would put Dallas, TX in yours.

Timeline
55 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Dallas, Tx.

Thanks Jorgedig.

For I-131 (Advance Parole), on the form it asks for the date of intended travel.

1) Do I need to give the exact date?

2) Do I need to provide a reason on a separate sheet of paper for the reason of travel.

3) Will it affect my AOS if I select "More than one visit"

Thanks 

Sam

58 minutes ago, Shiran said:

We put our PoE (New York, NY) in our case. So I would put Dallas, TX in yours.

Thanks Shiran.

For I-131 (Advance Parole), on the form it asks for the date of intended travel.

2) Do I need to provide a reason on a separate sheet of paper for the reason of travel.

Thanks 

Sam

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks Jorgedig.

Thanks 

Sam

Thanks Shiran.

Thanks 

Sam

1,2,3.  No, no, no

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks payxibka.

Do I need to complete Part 4 of the form I-131 as a K-1 visa holder?

Thanks

I just wrote,  "to be determined "

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.