N400NYC

N400s Filed at Manhattan (NYC) Field Office

445 posts in this topic

hi Folks

joining your thread, as I am a (recent) Manhattan filer (5 year GC, but filing 90 days early)

My stats:

Filed: Early oct 2019 via PAPER

Filed to National Benefits Center

Biometrics letter: Mid oct 2019

Biometrics taken: End of Oct 2019

now, As soon as I created my account on the USCIS website, it gave me an estimated time of August 2020. So, 10 months. After the Biometrics, the estimate is now June 2020 (7 months). This is actually much better than what I am understanding are actual wait times.

In your experience, does this mean that the date I was given will eventually end up being pushed back?

Or, on the other hand, folks also do report that their cases get resolved _before_ the date given on the USCIS website... which would be even better, But considering the time frame I'm given, sounds almost too good to be true (or, you know, sounds like 2013)

Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by cacolac323
typo

1 hour ago, cacolac323 said:

hi Folks

joining your thread, as I am a (recent) Manhattan filer (5 year GC, but filing 90 days early)

My stats:

Filed: Early oct 2019 via PAPER

Filed to National Benefits Center

Biometrics letter: Mid oct 2019

Biometrics taken: End of Oct 2019

now, As soon as I created my account on the USCIS website, it gave me an estimated time of August 2020. So, 10 months. After the Biometrics, the estimate is now June 2020 (7 months). This is actually much better than what I am understanding are actual wait times.

In your experience, does this mean that the date I was given will eventually end up being pushed back?

Or, on the other hand, folks also do report that their cases get resolved _before_ the date given on the USCIS website... which would be even better, But considering the time frame I'm given, sounds almost too good to be true (or, you know, sounds like 2013)

Thanks for your feedback!

Just to confirm: you reside in Manhattan? As the waiting time varies on where people reside in NYC. 

I am from Manhattan and applied in April 2019. My "estimated case completion" has changed about 4 times since then ranging from January 2020 to April 2020. Currently it says March 2020 (11 months in total) but I am not believing that. 

In general, most Manhattan residents have been waiting about 12 months to get an interview - based on what I have seen from people participating in this forum. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

4/2019: Submitted N400

5/2019: Biometrics (3 weeks)

2/2020: Interview (10 months)

3/2020: Oath & naturalization (11 months)

6/2020: Passport received (3 months)

Officially a U.S. Citizen! 

1 minute ago, N400NYC said:

Just to confirm: you reside in Manhattan? As the waiting time varies on where people reside in NYC. 

I am from Manhattan and applied in April 2019. My "estimated case completion" has changed about 4 times since then ranging from January 2020 to April 2020. Currently it says March 2020 (11 months in total) but I am not believing that. 

In general, most Manhattan residents have been waiting about 12 months to get an interview - based on what I have seen from people participating in this forum. 

Yes, Manhattan

2 minutes ago, cacolac323 said:

Yes, Manhattan

OK thanks for confirming as it makes it much clearer to understand.

Let's hope those predictions stay true. We shall see. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey folks, I know the thread title says Manhattan field office, but I couldn't find a thread for Brooklyn so I will post here.

I filed N400 in 11/2019 and just did my biometrics, so as I play the waiting game, I will join you in here.

3 minutes ago, hungryfornoa said:

Hey folks, I know the thread title says Manhattan field office, but I couldn't find a thread for Brooklyn so I will post here.

I filed N400 in 11/2019 and just did my biometrics, so as I play the waiting game, I will join you in here.

I’m also from Brooklyn, waiting for an interview since October 1

filed N400 in march with pending I-751

had interview in Federal plaza 2 weeks ago. I reside in queens,NY

took my hubby and additional evidence, we were interviewed together.

all went well. didn't say if case was approved or not

status online hasn't changed since we scheduled your interview for n-400 and for i-751 we transferred to new office.

anyone similar experience? i see most cases get online update the same day 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I just want to give you an update in my husband case for those that are still waiting for the Oath Ceremony and that were transferred to Newark, NJ.  He was interview and approved on October 31, 2019 at Newark and I just checked online and his oath ceremony has been scheduled for January 17, 2020 at 500 Pearl Street.  I can’t believe it but it took him 2 months and 17 days after approval to get the appointment for the Oath Ceremony, but at least this is almost over.  Good luck everyone that are still waiting. 

currently waiting ClockWatch2.giftimeline.gif

13 hours ago, Maite&Osmar said:

Hello Everyone,

I just want to give you an update in my husband case for those that are still waiting for the Oath Ceremony and that were transferred to Newark, NJ.  He was interview and approved on October 31, 2019 at Newark and I just checked online and his oath ceremony has been scheduled for January 17, 2020 at 500 Pearl Street.  I can’t believe it but it took him 2 months and 17 days after approval to get the appointment for the Oath Ceremony, but at least this is almost over.  Good luck everyone that are still waiting. 

That's crazy! Makes me hope that my case does NOT got transferred! Out of curiosity, what part of Manhattan do you live in - west/east/north/south? I wonder if there is any pattern as to which cases get transferred to Newark?

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

As at 12.5.19

nycdec2019.PNG

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
4 hours ago, N400NYC said:

That's crazy! Makes me hope that my case does NOT got transferred! Out of curiosity, what part of Manhattan do you live in - west/east/north/south? I wonder if there is any pattern as to which cases get transferred to Newark?

Hi N400NYC,

We live west side Manhattan but honestly I don’t think it has nothing to do with the decision of transferring the case to Newark.  If my husband can finally do the Oath on January 17th, 2020, it would be 15 months exactly since the day that we applied on October 16, 2018.

currently waiting ClockWatch2.giftimeline.gif

16 hours ago, Maite&Osmar said:

Hi N400NYC,

We live west side Manhattan but honestly I don’t think it has nothing to do with the decision of transferring the case to Newark.  If my husband can finally do the Oath on January 17th, 2020, it would be 15 months exactly since the day that we applied on October 16, 2018.

It's outrageous that he has to wait so long for the oath. People from Manhattan who have the interview at Federal Plaza get the oath ceremony in under a month. Why those who go to Newark are then forced to wait even longer makes no sense to me.

The only reason I asked is that I had asked a couple of other people who were sent to Newark and they also lived on the west side of Manhattan. So it's possible that it is zip-code driven - for example, those in a certain zip code who haven't had an interview by the 11-12 month mark are sent to Newark. But who knows, there is no transparency with this process. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

1 hour ago, N400NYC said:

It's outrageous that he has to wait so long for the oath. People from Manhattan who have the interview at Federal Plaza get the oath ceremony in under a month. Why those who go to Newark are then forced to wait even longer makes no sense to me.

The only reason I asked is that I had asked a couple of other people who were sent to Newark and they also lived on the west side of Manhattan. So it's possible that it is zip-code driven - for example, those in a certain zip code who haven't had an interview by the 11-12 month mark are sent to Newark. But who knows, there is no transparency with this process. 

I actually would totally believe it's zip code (aka distance radius) based. Because there's got to be some sort of upper limit to how far your case might be moved in order to be expedited -- you're not going to get a summon to an interview in Ohio if you're in NYC, even if the Ohio office had nothing to do.

So if there's a max radius out of the ordinary catchment area of a field office, it may very well be that Manhattan isn't fully in the catchment area of Manhattan, and if this were the case, the West side would be the logical areas that may be part of a Newark catchment area, just because these zip codes are closer.

But it may also be that the radius of a catchment area is larger and the whole of NYC could fall into it. Until folks who live in, say, East Harlem, get asked to an interview at Newark, we won't really know indeed. 

Btw, I, for one, would have no problem taking a flight to Ohio to do the drasted interview. I wish there was an option for "give me the shortest wait time, I'll deal with the logistics of an interview nationwide". But, well. (And, , cos I live in the West side of Manhattan)

Edited by cacolac323

Happy to report that today I had my oath ceremony and I am now a proud US citizen!!. Thank you too all in this group, this was a great support during this whole process!... good luck to all of you who are still in process all I can tell you is: Patience...

Applied: August 30th 2018

Interview: October 2nd 2019

Oath: December 6th 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.