N400NYC

N400s Filed at Manhattan (NYC) Field Office

445 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

8 minutes ago, N400NYC said:

It seems absurd to me that you have to wait 2 months for the oath ceremony when other people who get interviewed in Manhattan have it within 2-3 weeks. Being redirected to Newark shouldn't put you (and others) at a disadvantage. Have you thought about calling (again haha!) to see if there is any way to get an earlier ceremony? The insanity is that there are other people being interviewed now in Manhattan who will become citizens before you do. This entire process is maddening at seemingly all stages....

I know. It's really unfair and I'm jealous of all those people. 

I talked to the passport agency and they were chill about it. I don't think I'll have an issue getting the passport on time. I'm honestly tired of being anxious and worked up at every stage. Now that the difficult steps are complete I want to just relax. 

N-400 Timeline

Sept 9, 2018 - N-400 submitted online

Sept 9, 2018 - receipt notice mailed

Sept 10, 2018 - biometrics notice mailed

Sept 14, 2018 - receipt notice received in mail

Sept 16, 2018 - biometrics notice received in mail

Sept 23, 2018 - biometrics appointment

Sept 23, 2018 -  biometrics reviewed

Aug 21, 2019 - interview scheduled

Oct 6, 2019 - interview

Oct 10, 2019 - application approved

Oct 10, 2019 - oath will be scheduled

Oct 28, 2019 - oath notice mailed

Nov 1, 2019 - oath notice received in mail

Dec 13, 2019 - oath ceremony

Hello guys!

I just found this thread while desperately looking online for reviews of the naturalization process.... So happy that I can finally share my LOOONNNG journey/frustration/pain and hope with you all. So here is my timeline:

10/06/18: Application received (online filer)
10/13/18: Biometrics appointment scheduled

10/29/18: Biometrics reviewed

08/09/19: Application transferred to another USCIS field office (Newark, NJ)

09/09/19: Interview scheduled

10/29/19: Interview attended

10/29/19: Application approved

13 MONTHS SO FAR !!!!! I’m now waiting for the oath ceremony letter with an estimated case completion time of 2 more months 🤦‍♂️... I can’t wait to be done !!!!!

I’m also wondering if anyone that had their case transferred to the Newark filed office for their interview already had their oath done ? Please share 🙏

Finally thanks a million to whoever created this insightful thread specifically for New York City filer and all of you participating.

Edited by Bronx@filer
Mistakes

On 11/1/2019 at 2:24 PM, sgzr said:

I know. It's really unfair and I'm jealous of all those people. 

I talked to the passport agency and they were chill about it. I don't think I'll have an issue getting the passport on time. I'm honestly tired of being anxious and worked up at every stage. Now that the difficult steps are complete I want to just relax. 

I can understand that! I'm still in the anxiety phase unfortuantely - ughh....I hope the next 6 weeks passes quickly for you. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

4/2019: Submitted N400

5/2019: Biometrics (3 weeks)

2/2020: Interview (10 months)

3/2020: Oath & naturalization (11 months)

6/2020: Passport received (3 months)

Officially a U.S. Citizen! 

11 hours ago, Bronx@filer said:

Hello guys!

I just found this thread while desperately looking online for reviews of the naturalization process.... So happy that I can finally share my LOOONNNG journey/frustration/pain and hope with you all. So here is my timeline:

10/06/18: Application received (online filer)
10/13/18: Biometrics appointment scheduled

10/29/18: Biometrics reviewed

08/09/19: Application transferred to another USCIS field office (Newark, NJ)

09/09/19: Interview scheduled

10/29/19: Interview attended

10/29/19: Application approved

13 MONTHS SO FAR !!!!! I’m now waiting for the oath ceremony letter with an estimated case completion time of 2 more months 🤦‍♂️... I can’t wait to be done !!!!!

I’m also wondering if anyone that had their case transferred to the Newark filed office for their interview already had their oath done ? Please share 🙏

Finally thanks a million to whoever created this insightful thread specifically for New York City filer and all of you participating.

You've been suffering in silence! There are some stories of hope in this thread.

A few people (Manhattan/Bronx) have had cases transferred to Newark. It seems that they have had to wait a bit longer for the oath ceremony than other applicants who were interviewed in Manhattan. Take a look back through this thread. 

Yes, I created this thread because ultimately it's what goes in one's local field office that guides how things will happen. Residents of Manhattan and the Bronx have close to the longest wait time (if not the longest) for an interview in the country. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

13 hours ago, N400NYC said:

You've been suffering in silence! There are some stories of hope in this thread.

A few people (Manhattan/Bronx) have had cases transferred to Newark. It seems that they have had to wait a bit longer for the oath ceremony than other applicants who were interviewed in Manhattan. Take a look back through this thread. 

Yes, I created this thread because ultimately it's what goes in one's local field office that guides how things will happen. Residents of Manhattan and the Bronx have close to the longest wait time (if not the longest) for an interview in the country. 

Thanks again @N400NYC !

you are absolutely right and it’s sooo frustrating... Based on the feedback of a few members of this thread who had their cases transferred to the Newark field office like mine, it seems like there’s a pattern of approximately 2 months wait time from the Interview date to the actual oath ceremony 😢

Having my Oath Ceremony on Dec 6th at 500 Pearl street. ALMOST THERE and this is over!

Has anybody here Had their ceremony at the Pearl street court?

Edited by Luisfmp86

On 11/4/2019 at 1:07 PM, Bronx@filer said:

Thanks again @N400NYC !

you are absolutely right and it’s sooo frustrating... Based on the feedback of a few members of this thread who had their cases transferred to the Newark field office like mine, it seems like there’s a pattern of approximately 2 months wait time from the Interview date to the actual oath ceremony 😢

Why there is such a long wait is anyone's guess. As with most parts of this process there are rarely any answers to these mysteries. For whatever reason, the cases transferred from NYC to Newark for the interview and then back to NYC for the oath get placed in a different category, hence the wait. Just know you will be a citizen before the year is out! That's the good part :)

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Polis said:

Wow I am amazed by your story! I have my interview on the 22nd and even though they told me I was approved I have no clue when my ceremony will take place and I didn't get the letter on my account. Did they tell you upfront about the November date? Nothing was told to me. I am a bit concerned since I want to plan ahead to make sure I can take time off for the ceremony.

My interviewer told me straight up after saying I am approved. He even told me which floor and the earliest date he can schedule me in. Is your office at the same place I went to as well? my letter came up within  24 hrs. 

Timeline

Hello!

Anyone gone through the Oath Ceremony? Care to share the process and what to expect in terms of additional form filing (eg: passport, register to become a voter..anything else?).

Appreciate your time to reply on this.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, Mark_Shalini said:

Hello!

Anyone gone through the Oath Ceremony? Care to share the process and what to expect in terms of additional form filing (eg: passport, register to become a voter..anything else?).

Appreciate your time to reply on this.

Hi, based on mine at Federal Plaza (the ones in the District Court are different):

• went to 3rd floor, held in a large waiting room while the security officers organized an orderly process to filter into the actual ceremony room
  • once in the ceremony room, lined up to have a very brief interview with an officer to hand in the N445 and go through your answers quickly.  There were 4-5 officers doing this process
  • shown to a seat where you found a flag, letter from President and information from USCIS about being a citizen
  • ceremony started about on time: speeches from senior Field Office personnel; stand up (and stay standing) when your original country of citizenship is called, national anthem, swearing oath and some festivities
  • handed your Naturalization certificate while in the row you were seated in (USCIS was really organized about this)
  • on the way out of the room, a bunch of people were waiting to do voter registration - 2 minute process with forms filled in on the spot

I had separately completed my passport applications ahead of time and had an appointment at the Post Office an hour or so later to apply for the passport.  I did expedited and got the passport in about a week.  If you plan to do something like this, go to the FedEx store near Federal Plaza where you can make a photocopy of the Naturalization certificate, which is necessary for the passport application (both the original and a copy are needed).

Good luck and enjoy it.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Polis said:

Oh my! Should I be worried that despite the officer telling me he is approving my case, I didn't get any notification for my Oath Ceremony? 

We’re you waiting on any other documents? Like I-751? Or maybe you need to submit an additional document? If not, maybe you should see if there is a way to request for information. So odd if you see the date you got, you should have already done your oath or to the least be in the same one as me! 

Timeline
6 hours ago, nyj215 said:

Hi, based on mine at Federal Plaza (the ones in the District Court are different):

• went to 3rd floor, held in a large waiting room while the security officers organized an orderly process to filter into the actual ceremony room
  • once in the ceremony room, lined up to have a very brief interview with an officer to hand in the N445 and go through your answers quickly.  There were 4-5 officers doing this process
  • shown to a seat where you found a flag, letter from President and information from USCIS about being a citizen
  • ceremony started about on time: speeches from senior Field Office personnel; stand up (and stay standing) when your original country of citizenship is called, national anthem, swearing oath and some festivities
  • handed your Naturalization certificate while in the row you were seated in (USCIS was really organized about this)
  • on the way out of the room, a bunch of people were waiting to do voter registration - 2 minute process with forms filled in on the spot

I had separately completed my passport applications ahead of time and had an appointment at the Post Office an hour or so later to apply for the passport.  I did expedited and got the passport in about a week.  If you plan to do something like this, go to the FedEx store near Federal Plaza where you can make a photocopy of the Naturalization certificate, which is necessary for the passport application (both the original and a copy are needed).

Good luck and enjoy it.

Thank you very much for this information. Could you provide an estimate time spent for the whole process. I’m contemplating to bring my kids just worried it would take too long and they will get so restless. 

any tips on Parking? Street parking are off the picture I assume?

50 minutes ago, Mark_Shalini said:

Thank you very much for this information. Could you provide an estimate time spent for the whole process. I’m contemplating to bring my kids just worried it would take too long and they will get so restless. 

any tips on Parking? Street parking are off the picture I assume?

1 hour and 15 minutes.

I live in Manhattan and used the subway.  There are definitely garages around there.  Street parking as you know in the city is a matter of luck... 

Timeline
On 11/13/2019 at 9:58 AM, Polis said:

No, no request of additional documents, the officer said it was good to go. That's why I am not sure what's going on.

So this happened to me today, literally the day before my supposed interview... "an officer called me and said due to some system administrative issues, we had to reschedule your interview." so if this is true, i recalled my interviewer having some issues putting in the date for my oath to be scheduled, but succeeded eventually at that point of time, i guess you may be in that system glitch too? 

i called USCIS to verify the caller and to make sure it isn't a scam. They assured it wasn't. So i would recommend you calling them and talking about your situation, get an info pass appt. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.