Spotify

Changing First Name Before Green Card Application

9 posts in this topic

Can’t until you go through a court procedure and for that you have to be a resident- green card. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

5 minutes ago, Spotify said:

Has any K1 beneficiary changed their first name before filing for the green card application?  Did you run into any issues?

Sorry I read that totally wrong. Time for bed.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

5 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Can’t until you go through a court procedure and for that you have to be a resident- green card. 

Yes, it requires an ID from our state to prove residency, and we're planning to go through the court name change.

When gathering documents for the green card application, I would include the court order name change certificate and fill it out in her new first name.

Anyone see any issues?

Edited by Spotify

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, Spotify said:

I believe the only requirement to change names at our local county/state court is by showing an ID issued by our state.

Usually before you can change your name legally you have to go before a judge to do it. It has been a while since I have seen it done, but usually you go before a judge and explain why you are changing it, judge will ask that you are not doing this to avoid any debt or for any illegal reason etc. etc, and will then sign off on the change. There are some court fees involved, but they are minimal.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

6 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Usually before you can change your name legally you have to go before a judge to do it. It has been a while since I have seen it done, but usually you go before a judge and explain why you are changing it, judge will ask that you are not doing this to avoid any debt or for any illegal reason etc. etc, and will then sign off on the change. There are some court fees involved, but they are minimal.

Yes, that sounds right.

Once we legally change the name, we can for EAD/Green Card in the new name correct?

Was wondering what name would we use if we book flight tickets?  Would we use her old name that's in her foreign passport?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm not 100 percent on the green card, but I don't see why not. For travel definitely stick with what is on your travel documents. TSA and the airlines want everything to match. After you get all your IDs, passport credit cards bank accounts changed, then you should be good to go. The few people that I know that have done it says it takes a little while to get everything done, and some things can be harder than others, but the court order of proof of name change should get it done. It isn't something that happens very often, or maybe it is, but you don't hear about it much and that is why something's may take a little longer to do. People just don't deal with it too much. 

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Joey.C     3

Joey.C
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hi does anyone know how to get a birth certificate translated online please? My birth certificate is in French I'm applying for AOS USCIS needs a translated one. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.