11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I’m the US citizen. My husband owns a farm in his country. How do I use both of our income for the i 864?? 

Ive been out of the country to be with my husband for most of 2018. I’m nervous I won’t meet the income requirements by myself and I don’t have a joint sponsor. My husband makes good income on his farm in his country. I’m working in the US but due to soo much travel, I’m only accepting contract temporary employment at the moment. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

There are very few countries that allow self-sponsorship. 

If he moves to the US he won't have his farm anyway so how can he "prove" he could support himself? 

If you do not meet the minimum you will have to get a different job that meets the requirements, a 2nd job or a sponsor.  You say you ate only accepting temporary contract assignment due to so much travel....you may have to cut it back. I only saw my husband for 1 week between our wedding and his interview...people get through the distance the best they can. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

If he moves to the US he won't have his farm anyway so how can he "prove" he could support himself? 

If you do not meet the minimum you will have to get a different job that meets the requirements, a 2nd job or a sponsor.  You say you ate only accepting temporary contract assignment due to so much travel....you may have to cut it back. I only saw my husband for 1 week between our wedding and his interview...people get through the distance the best they can. 

9 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

He WILL have his farm and ongoing income from the farm once he enters the US. He has several employees. Migrating to the US does not mean that he has to give up his business back home.....

My income as a contractor in the Washington DC area is ok, even after traveling every 3 months, I met the threshold. Just want to be on the safe side just in case they say I need a co sponsor. 

Anybody else on here knows the answer to  “what we need to do to add both incomes from petitioner and beneficiary for the i 864?”  He also has property and assets. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Gojo said:

He WILL have his farm and ongoing income from the farm once he enters the US. He has several employees. Migrating to the US does not mean that he has to give up his business back home.....

My income as a contractor in the Washington DC area is ok, even after traveling every 3 months, I met the threshold. Just want to be on the safe side just in case they say I need a co sponsor. 

Anybody else on here knows the answer to  “what we need to do to add both incomes from petitioner and beneficiary for the i 864?”  He also has property and assets. 

• It does not mean he has to sell his farm, this is true but his farm cannot be used as an asset as land/property is not considered liquid asset.  Only liquid assets can be used for I-864 (must be liquid and must be able to move from foreign country to US.quickly).
  • His foreign earn income is not from US and it is self-employed so for immigration purpose, it won't be considered.
Edited by VNN

12 minutes ago, Gojo said:

He just lists it on your I-864 for household member incomes (in part 6). No I-864A needed for the intending immigrant to combine their income/assets with the petitioner.

He needs to provide evidence of any income/assets being considered. He should provide evidence that the income will continue from the same source upon coming to the US as an immigrant.

The petitioner must do so as well. If you are self-employed, income is from the most recent tax return. Otherwise, pay stubs & an employment letter show current income. A copy of the most recent year's tax return is still required anyway (different requirement than current income).

Review the I-864 instructions.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

He just lists it on your I-864 for household member incomes (in part 6). No I-864A needed for the intending immigrant to combine their income/assets with the petitioner.

He needs to provide evidence of any income/assets being considered. He should provide evidence that the income will continue from the same source upon coming to the US as an immigrant.

The petitioner must do so as well. If you are self-employed, income is from the most recent tax return. Otherwise, pay stubs & an employment letter show current income. A copy of the most recent year's tax return is still required anyway (different requirement than current income).

Review the I-864 instructions.

Ok so I can count the assets that my  spouse (beneficiary) will bring with him, like cash, stocks and savings.  He can definitely provide proof that his farm will continue to operate and bring income in the household once he enters the US. I will screenshot this message for when the time comes. 

Thanks. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, databit said:

Since you're married and the farm income is now joint income, didn't you list that income on your US taxes due tomorrow?

Nope. I didn’t know I can do that since the farm is in his home country and considered foreign income.  But if that’s the case, what do I need from him to be able to include it?  

Edited by Gojo

10 minutes ago, Gojo said:

Nope. I didn’t know I can do that since the farm is in his home country and considered foreign income.  But if that’s the case, what do I need from him to be able to include it?  

Did you file taxes Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately?

If separately, then there's no issue. You didn't earn the income so you don't need to claim anything.

If jointly, then you would claim the income (usually under Other Income in popular tax software programs). Then you can likely exclude all that income via the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and/or Foreign Tax Credit (assuming there is a tax treaty in place).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Did you file taxes Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately?

If separately, then there's no issue. You didn't earn the income so you don't need to claim anything.

If jointly, then you would claim the income (usually under Other Income in popular tax software programs). Then you can likely exclude all that income via the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and/or Foreign Tax Credit (assuming there is a tax treaty in place).

Ok but if I exclude it after adding it, will it still be added to my AGI?  

25 minutes ago, Gojo said:

Ok but if I exclude it after adding it, will it still be added to my AGI?  

No

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.