pretendthisisfun

South Africans in US WhatsApp Group

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

So my (beneficary) fiance and I arrived at our new home two days ago.  The anxiety and fear of the interview is over.   The wait for approval and papers is postponed until the next steps after the wedding.  I go back to work, and now she...  

Is thousands of miles away from everything familiar to her.  Her family, friends, and everything she's ever known.  Everything here is foreign to her.  She's excited for the future, but also sad for what she's left behind.  Who out there knows the mixture  of emotions, hope and fear, happiness and sadness?  Who in the world could she share these feelings with that could relate or understand?  How weird is it that there is no one to pump your gas or check your oil?  Where are the car guards?  Why aren't there bars on the windows?

I'm being extra and dramatic, I know.  But there are so many great people I've chatted with here.  I think it would be great to start a What'sApp group for those who have come to the states on a K1 visa from South Africa. 

If the only shared experience is coming to the states from South Africa on a K1 visa, then that's a pretty big thing that is the basis for support, ideas, recipes, shopping, tips, recommendations, or just witty banter that only South Africans can understand. In fact, I don't need to be part of it.  I just think it could be good for my fiance and good for others who have went through this life altering process.

Anyone?

04/25/18  - I-129F sent Overnight Priority USPS to PO Box in Dallas

04/28/18  - USCIS signed for I-129F

05/01/18  -  Electronic NOA1

05/05/18  -  NOA1 hard copy

10/17/18  -  NOA2 

10/22/18  -  NOA2 received

11/14/18  -  NVC received case

11/23/18  -  NVC issued case number

12/11/18  -  NVC in transit

12/27/18  - P3 Received

03/28/19  -  Interview

04/11/19  -  Entry to US

07/07/19  -  Wedding

08/09/19  -  Filed AOS/EAD/AP

08/12/19  -  NOA1

09/04/19  -  Biometric Appointment

10/10/19  -  Notice of Ready For Interview  

12/06/19  -  AP/EAD Approved

12/16/19  -  AP/EAD Card Received

02/27/20  -  AOS Interview Scheduled Text

02/27/20  -  AOS Interview NOA

04/16/20  -  AOS Interview (E-notice of  interview cancellation received 03/31/20)

I'm not from South Africa, but I just want to let you know that I think this is a great idea and you're awesome for setting this up for her! I am in a Facebook group with people from my country who are in the process of moving here on a K1 or CR1 or already live here, and it has helped me a lot, especially during the first few months. I hope it works out!

Edited by MariekeH
Typo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline
51 minutes ago, pretendthisisfun said:

So my (beneficary) fiance and I arrived at our new home two days ago.  The anxiety and fear of the interview is over.   The wait for approval and papers is postponed until the next steps after the wedding.  I go back to work, and now she...  

Is thousands of miles away from everything familiar to her.  Her family, friends, and everything she's ever known.  Everything here is foreign to her.  She's excited for the future, but also sad for what she's left behind.  Who out there knows the mixture  of emotions, hope and fear, happiness and sadness?  Who in the world could she share these feelings with that could relate or understand?  How weird is it that there is no one to pump your gas or check your oil?  Where are the car guards?  Why aren't there bars on the windows?

I'm being extra and dramatic, I know.  But there are so many great people I've chatted with here.  I think it would be great to start a What'sApp group for those who have come to the states on a K1 visa from South Africa. 

If the only shared experience is coming to the states from South Africa on a K1 visa, then that's a pretty big thing that is the basis for support, ideas, recipes, shopping, tips, recommendations, or just witty banter that only South Africans can understand. In fact, I don't need to be part of it.  I just think it could be good for my fiance and good for others who have went through this life altering process.

Anyone?

Thank you for sharing with us.  I totally understand how she must be feeling.  I am Congolese, from the Democratic Republic of Congo.  I am now a US citizen.  When I first got to the US, things were very strange to me.  To top it off, I could not speak English.  I only knew a few words such as hot, cold, &, etc.  I carried a dictionary with me everywhere to help me understand some of the English words people were saying.  My first meal in the states was at the airport, immediately after the airplane landed.  I was told it was a hot dog.  I was so scared because I thought I was being offered a spicy part of a 4 legged animal that we keep as pets, to eat as my first meal.  Imagine how I must have felt.  I cried for days.  That was only the beginning of the different experiences I had.  Some were good & some not always positive.  Some people even teased me about my accent after I had learned the English language.  Ultimately as people got to know more about me & the culture I come from, I had no problem adjusting to my new life.  Friends I met along the way helped me to grow as a new American citizen & we learned from each other.  It takes time & patience.   

Please let her know that although she cannot see it now, things are going to be okay.  I love this country & I have a feeling that after meeting new friends, getting to know her environment, & the American culture, she will enjoy living in the US also.  Look at this as a new, exciting adventure that many people from all over the world would love to experience.  She is blessed being with a man who loves her & will be introducing her to a whole new world.  Like myself, she will not miss the bars on windows, guards to protect the compounds & communities, &, etc.  Please give her a hug from me & I welcome her to the US.  Many blessings to both of you as you start your new life together.   

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a great idea. I haven't had my interview yet, and I don't know when I'll be moving etc, but when it happens I think it would definitely offer a home comfort. 

Hoping you can set this up so she gets to lessen the homesick feeling asap :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
On 4/14/2019 at 2:14 PM, pretendthisisfun said:

Anyone?

I'd definitely be keen to be a part of that chat group? I would also recommend everyone moving over there begins a new life with their spouse and not try recreate life in SA for themselves, but adapt and adjust, ultimately we did make the decision to move there, so it's the circumstances we face and have to deal with? 

But all that being said I am optimistic, staying in touch would be a good idea, I'm in for it... 

Thanks 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.