Nashvan

Tennessee Marriage Certificate

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For AOS would this count as a marriage certificate or marriage license?

50214b683714646b06cffe1e351dc0fc.jpg

Vital Records (TN State Gov) says it is a marriage license while my County Clerk's office says it is a marriage certificate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I can’t tell does it have an auditor’s seal? You’re probably better off just requesting a certified copy from your county licensing department and then you know for sure. Otherwise you might get an RFIE

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

The title and the content itself proves it’s a marriage certificate. Good to go for AOS.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
2 minutes ago, arken said:

The title and the content itself proves it’s a marriage certificate. Good to go for AOS.

Yep!

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Timeline
1 minute ago, sirvang said:

Yes, the Marriage Certificate you post will be needed for AOS

And remember a Marriage License and Marriage Certificate are TWO different things.

Marriage License: Permission/Authorization to get married

Marriage Certificate: Vital record stated that you are married

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Mrsjackson said:

I can’t tell does it have an auditor’s seal? You’re probably better off just requesting a certified copy from your county licensing department and then you know for sure. Otherwise you might get an RFIE

It has a golden County Clerk seal along with the signature of the Deputy Clerk and County Clerk. I agree, a certified copy is ideal. The problem is that they spelled my name wrong on the certificate above and told me to correct it through Vital Records. I requested an amendment and 3 certified copies from Vital Records but they can't amend my name/issue corrected certificate until they receive our marriage from the CC. I was thinking of perhaps using this in the meantime, risking the RFIE but the timing might not work out.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, arken said:

1 minute ago, WaterLeaf said:

Yep!

Thank you both.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Vans said:

Thank you.

It has a golden County Clerk seal along with the signature of the Deputy Clerk and County Clerk. I agree, a certified copy is ideal. The problem is that they spelled my name wrong on the certificate above and told me to correct it through Vital Records. I requested an amendment and 3 certified copies from Vital Records but they can't amend my name/issue corrected certificate until they receive our marriage from the CC. I was thinking of perhaps using this in the meantime, risking the RFIE but the timing might not work out.

Honestly I would probably do just that in your position. It sounds legitimate anyway with the signatures it has, and I wouldn’t delay sending the AOS because of that when it might be perfectly fine. Others may disagree, but an RFIE is not the end of the world by any means. I got one because they wanted a tax transcript. I sent it out the day I got the letter in the mail, and three days later my case status online changed to ‘Response to RFIE Recieved’ and they began working on my case again. I would send the one you have, but I would continue to actively pursue changing your name in the mean time and not just resume it when and if you get the RFIE. That way if you do get one you’ll be ahead and it will minimize any delay time. Good luck.

I was married in TN and our Marriage Certificate looks similar.

TN issues either MCs with affixed seals (which looks like what yours is) or raised seals.

Just make sure that is an affixed seal (like a sticker) and not just ink. If it does, that's your original certified MC and you can photocopy it and submit photocopies with your I485, I765 and I131 forms.

If you have a spelling error the choice is yours though. You could fix it now and wait it out or submit it and get an RFIE. 

I got an RFIE for them losing my MCs entirely and it put me back about 30 days.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mrsjackson said:

Honestly I would probably do just that in your position. It sounds legitimate anyway with the signatures it has, and I wouldn’t delay sending the AOS because of that when it might be perfectly fine. Others may disagree, but an RFIE is not the end of the world by any means. I got one because they wanted a tax transcript. I sent it out the day I got the letter in the mail, and three days later my case status online changed to ‘Response to RFIE Recieved’ and they began working on my case again. I would send the one you have, but I would continue to actively pursue changing your name in the mean time and not just resume it when and if you get the RFIE. That way if you do get one you’ll be ahead and it will minimize any delay time. Good luck.

Thanks for the reassurance. The time it takes it respond to a potential RFIE is what worries me, as you pointed out. I'll continue to check with Vital Records to make sure my name gets amended. They can't do anything right now because they haven't received our file from the CC. It's so confusing because the state and county interpret the above document differently despite the "Marriage Certificate" title.

I called the CC's office again and the woman I spoke with managed to correct my name on the certificate and said I can pick it up tomorrow! (Technically it's supposed to go through VR but she said it was an easy fix.) So at least on the county level it's correct and I'll have something to use for AOS in the meantime.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I was married in TN and our Marriage Certificate looks similar.

TN issues either MCs with affixed seals (which looks like what yours is) or raised seals.

Just make sure that is an affixed seal (like a sticker) and not just ink. If it does, that's your original certified MC and you can photocopy it and submit photocopies with your I485, I765 and I131 forms.

Thank you, it helps to know that the paper is indeed a marriage certificate. Our certificate does have raised lettering on the seal. Luckily someone managed to help correct my name at the CC's office and I can pick them up tomorrow. It still needs to be amended at the state level but I'm keeping tabs on it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.