Hotter Otter

Visiting Visa While IR1-CR1 Is Pending

1,029 posts in this topic

I am at the airport now about to board the plane to see my husband. I'll post about my POE experience when I get there.

As promised, my experience at POE Las Vegas today.

We sent our I-130 in early February so we still have a long wait ahead of us. I am visiting for a week and I am from the UK, a VWP country.

I flew from London to Stockholm with BA using air miles and then took Norwegian from Stockholm to Las Vegas. I paid £107.40 each way - that's the reason I went this way.

I had to use the restrooms as soon as we landed so when I reached immigration there were already a lot of people in front of me. By the time I got to the front of the line, the desks handling USCs had finished the USCs and so visitors were directed to these desks. I was sent to one of the USC desks.

It was probably my worst ever POE experience. I don't know if I got someone who was having a bad day, or has something against British people or what. Anyway, it went like this.

Me: Hello (putting passport and customs form on the counter)

Officer: (looking at the passport cover) So which country are YOU from? (Perhaps understandable as almost all of the passengers were Swedish)

Me: I'm from the United Kingdom

Officer: And you're going to... (looking at the address on the customs form and read out the city and state given)

Me: Yes

Officer: And what's in xxxx (city and state)?

Me: My husband

Officer: What is he doing in xxx (city and state)

Me: He lives there. He's a US Citizen

Officer: He's a US Citizen?

Officer: And is he planning to immigrate you on this visit?

Me (somewhat taken aback) No, no.

Officer: And how long have you been married?

Me: A year and a half

Officer: Did you get married in xxx (city and state)?

Me: No. We got married in zzz (different city, same state)

Officer: And when was that?

Me: September 27, 2014

Officer: So he is planning to immigrate you on this visit, isn't he?

Me: No.

Officer: How long are you staying?

Me: One week.

Officer: Let me see your return reservation.

Me: (showing him the paperwork) Here's my reservation back to Stockholm and then here's my ticket from Stockholm to London.

Officer (looking at the travel paperwork) When were you last here?

I wasn't sure how to answer that. "Here" as in "this airport" or "here" as in "the country"?

Me: At Christmas.

Officer: How long did you stay?

Me: 2 weeks

Officer: what job do you do at home?

Me: I'm a xxxxx

Officer: How long did you stay last time? (Second time has asked this)

Me: Two weeks

Me: Christmas

Officer: What date did you enter?

Me: December 15

Officer: What job do you in the UK? (Second time he has asked this)

Officer: Do you work for yourself or for a company?

Me: For a company

Officer: I want to know why you didn't fly direct from London to Seattle.

Me: This route is less than half the cost.

Officer: (studying the customs form again and starting to get a bit short with me) So your husband has no plans to immigrate his wife?

Me: Not yet.

Officer: Not yet?

Me: No

Officer then asks me for finger prints and photo. Stamps passport, puts it on the counter and keeps his hand on it. I don't touch it.

Officer: How much cash have you got with you?

Me: Cash? Not much cash money. About $20 but I have my debit card and my credit card with me. I don't like to carry cash in crowded areas like airports.

Officer (pushed passport towards me) Thank you.

Me: Thank you.

The whole way through I had the impression he didn't believe anything I said. I don't think he believes I have a husband here. I think what convinced him I was telling the truth was my lack of luggage (carry-on only - if I was planning to stay I wouldn't get very far with that) and that I said I have my debit card and credit card wth me - indicating those accounts are still active at home.

It was very disappointing after over 40 entries with no problem at all. I have never stayed longer than 3 weeks. I could understand if if this was my first time or if I had a pattern of 90-day (or close to 90-day) stays or appeared to be spending longer in than out. I have always left exactly when I said I would. This is my 10th visit since we married and the first time it has been suggested that I might be trying to stay. First time I've been asked about money or previous stays. There was a point where I thought I was going to be refused. I don't know why some questions were asked twice. To see if I'd answer the same way? Because he didn't know what else to ask?

This was Las Vegas. I'm wondering if I'd said I was here to watch strip shows, drink and party whether that would have been better. Guaranteed someone on my plane came here just for that.

I'm very well spoken thanks to a private education on scholarship. I'm very polite. Like most people after a long fight I looked like something from a zombie film but I was reasonably well dressed.

It's a mystery to me why it went like this.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

We sent our I-130 in early February so we still have a long wait ahead of us. I am visiting for a week and I am from the UK, a VWP country.

I flew from London to Stockholm with BA using air miles and then took Norwegian from Stockholm to Las Vegas. I paid £107.40 each way - that's the reason I went this way.

I had to use the restrooms as soon as we landed so when I reached immigration there were already a lot of people in front of me. By the time I got to the front of the line, the desks handling USCs had finished the USCs and so visitors were directed to these desks. I was sent to one of the USC desks.

It was probably my worst ever POE experience. I don't know if I got someone who was having a bad day, or has something against British people or what. Anyway, it went like this.

Officer: (looking at the passport cover) So which country are YOU from? (Perhaps understandable as almost all of the passengers were Swedish)

Officer: And you're going to... (looking at the address on the customs form and read out the city and state given)

Me: (showing him the paperwork) Here's my reservation back to Stockholm and then here's my ticket from Stockholm to London.

I wasn't sure how to answer that. "Here" as in "this airport" or "here" as in "the country"?

Officer: (studying the customs form again and starting to get a bit short with me) So your husband has no plans to immigrate his wife?

Officer then asks me for finger prints and photo. Stamps passport, puts it on the counter and keeps his hand on it. I don't touch it.

Me: Cash? Not much cash money. About $20 but I have my debit card and my credit card with me. I don't like to carry cash in crowded areas like airports.

The whole way through I had the impression he didn't believe anything I said. I don't think he believes I have a husband here. I think what convinced him I was telling the truth was my lack of luggage (carry-on only - if I was planning to stay I wouldn't get very far with that) and that I said I have my debit card and credit card wth me - indicating those accounts are still active at home.

It was very disappointing after over 40 entries with no problem at all. I have never stayed longer than 3 weeks. I could understand if if this was my first time or if I had a pattern of 90-day (or close to 90-day) stays or appeared to be spending longer in than out. I have always left exactly when I said I would. This is my 10th visit since we married and the first time it has been suggested that I might be trying to stay. First time I've been asked about money or previous stays. There was a point where I thought I was going to be refused. I don't know why some questions were asked twice. To see if I'd answer the same way? Because he didn't know what else to ask?

This was Las Vegas. I'm wondering if I'd said I was here to watch strip shows, drink and party whether that would have been better. Guaranteed someone on my plane came here just for that.

I'm very well spoken thanks to a private education on scholarship. I'm very polite. Like most people after a long fight I looked like something from a zombie film but I was reasonably well dressed.

This sounds very unfair! You probably had a very grumpy officer.

First meeting: 04/14/12

Wedding: 11/23/15

i130 petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox: 01/20/16

NOA1: 01/26/16 (Notice Date written on I-797c)

NOA2: ???

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

JFH - Did you get a Visa Waiver Stamp with 90 days validity or did the officer shorten the duration? Is it likely that an officer shortens the usually 90 days to a shorter duration due to the I-130 pending?

One more questions: How soon after I-130 has been filed, are CBP officers informed about the petition. I read in some forums that CBP officers get the information about the filing very late in the process and not from the start. Anyone can confirm this?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

JFH - Did you get a Visa Waiver Stamp with 90 days validity or did the officer shorten the duration? Is it likely that an officer shortens the usually 90 days to a shorter duration due to the I-130 pending?

One more questions: How soon after I-130 has been filed, are CBP officers informed about the petition. I read in some forums that CBP officers get the information about the filing very late in the process and not from the start. Anyone can confirm this?

Hi, I just came back from visiting my husband,.. I usually only stay 2-3 weeks as I still have a job in Norway. However, checking my passport, I was granted 90 days as usual. I don't know how much information CBP officers get,.. this guy asked me what the purpose of my visit was, and I said, as true is, that I'm visiting my husband. He asked why I was not living there with him, and again I replied as true is, that we are currently filing I-130 and are waiting for the approval.

There is a possibility they have access to all information, but ask the questions to see if we answer them truly.. I don't know. I only know,.. ALWAYS answer the truth!!

04/28/2008 Met online/Facebook

09/18/2008 Visited for the first time :luv:(L)

09/18/2015 Got married (L)(L)

USCIS

11/17/2015 I-130 filed

11/23/2015 NoA 1 received

03/15/2016 RFE requested

03/22/2016 RFE hard copy received (request for original divorce decree from 1991)

05/09/2016 RFE received at Texas Service Center

05/19/2016 NOA 2 (I-130 approved by USCIS)

NVC

06/07/2016 NVC received

06/22/2016 NVC case number assigned

06/23/2016 NVC welcome letter by e-mail/AOS bill

06/27/2016 D-261 submitted (choice of agent)

07/09/2016 AOS bill paid

07/19/2016 IV bill paid

07/21/2016 IV application submitted

07/26/2016 AOS and supporting documents sent

07/29/2016 IV and AOS scan date

08/29/2016 Case Completed at NVC

Consulate

09/13/2016 Interview letter received

10/04/2016 Medical exam

10/24/2016 Interview - Approved

10/31/2016 Visa in hand

USA

11/11/2016 POE Detroit

12/01/2016 I have a job!! Because of DHS mess up with my name, I will start my new job in January.

Yes, he stamped my passport for 90 days as usual. I have only once been given a shorter timeframe and that was crossing the land border from Canada to Washington state by bus 6 weeks after I had previously left and the officer assumed I had spent the six weeks since the previous visit in Canada (but I had gone back to the UK) so he said he wasn't going to re-stamp me and I had to use the existing stamp.

CBP don't know about your pending visa until you get to NVC stage - that's when you provide your passport number to them. At the I-130 stage they have no definite way of identifying us.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I think it has to do with the officers on the USC side because out of all the 20 times I've visited my husband, I only experienced issues one time and that was also when they decided to move some of us visitors to the USC desks instead. Glad he let you in though.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sorry, what means USC and what is the difference to CBP?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

USC = United States Citizen.

CBP Do not expect US visitors on the USC dedicated counters.

CR-1 VISA

STAGE 1: USCIS

CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER US EMBASSY BOGOTA

09-08-2015 Express mailed my I-130 package to Chicago Lock-box.

09-11-2015 Received NOA1 via email with a PD of 09-09-2015

09-19-2015 Received I-797C via snail mail. (NOA1)

10-21-2015 My wife came to visit me on a B1/B2. No problems at POE Miami :P

11-04-2015 Received NOA2 via email. (56 days after NOA1)

11-08-2015 My wife ends visit and returns to Colombia to wait for interview :(

11-09-2015 Received I-797 via snail mail. (NOA2)

STAGE 2: NVC

11-16-2015 NVC received our case,(12 days after NOA2).

12-07-2015 Emailed inquiry to NVC to inform them my email. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/contact.html

12-08-2015 NVC assigned case and invoice ID number,(34 days after NOA2) Case was assigned after 13:00 PM. I called at 12:30 then at 19:00 PM

12-08-2015 Completed Choice of Agent DS-261

12-09-2015 Received 2 emails with Welcome Letters for my wife and I, they were sent by ASKnvc@state.gov

12-09-2015 AOS bill became available and I paid it. (IN PROCESS)

12-12-2015 Mailed AOS and IV packages.

12-14-2015 Received via email IV bill from ASKnvc@state.gov and paid the IV fee.

12-14-2015 AOS fee updated to PAID

12-15-2015 USPS tracking shows AOS/IV packages were delivered to NVC. Waiting for a SCAN date.

12-16-2015 IV fee updated to PAID and completed DS-260

12-19-2015 Scan Date (45 days after NOA2). I called on 01-13-16 and I was told my scan date is 12-15-15????

01-26-2016 Case complete. (83 days after NOA2)

01-29-2016 Called NVC, I was informed my CO Interview will be on 03-01-2016 at 08:00.

02-02-2016 Received Interview Letter (P4) via email.

02-09-2016 Package picked-up by DHL at 15:29 Waybill 5992952011. CEAC status "IN TRANSIT"

STAGE 3: US Embassy Bogota

02-11-2016 US Embassy Bogota received my package at 10:39.

02-12-2016 CEAC Visa Status changed from "IN TRANSIT" to "READY"

02-24-2016 Lab exams at the clinic and Bio-metrics at the CAS center.

02-25-2016 Medical Exams.

03-01-2016 Interview Date (175 days after I mailed I-130) VISA APPROVED. CEAC status changed to AP

03-02-2016 Paid Immigrant Visa Fee via ELIS account. CEAC status changed to ISSUED

03-03-2016 US Embassy Bogota sends Passport and Visa package via DHL Waybill 2900131780 to Cali.

03-04-2016 My wife picked up at DHL sealed approved IV package and her passport with a stamped I-551 IV Category CR1.

Timeline

CBP can't see when a petition has been filed. The first time CBP can see that the applicant is in the visa process is when you submit the actual visa application at the NVC stage

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Embassy Stage

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

What are the general acceptable timelines for visiting during an pending I-130 petition? Is it possible to stay 3 months - than return home for 3.5 months, and come back to the US for another 3 months - and so on until the petition is approved. Assuming ties to your home country and enough financial savings to demonstrate that you don't need to work in the USA, would that generally be acceptable to CBP officers? Anyone done something similar before?

Timeline

What are the general acceptable timelines for visiting during an pending I-130 petition? Is it possible to stay 3 months - than return home for 3.5 months, and come back to the US for another 3 months - and so on until the petition is approved. Assuming ties to your home country and enough financial savings to demonstrate that you don't need to work in the USA, would that generally be acceptable to CBP officers? Anyone done something similar before?

You'll probably get away with it the first time around but I doubt the second time. Do you work online or what kind of ties can you show to your home country that allows you to be out of the country for half the year? I would think that shows stronger ties to the US than your home country. I honestly wouldn't risk it, not maximum VWP time after time.

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy Stage

In the US

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

CBP can't see when a petition has been filed. The first time CBP can see that the applicant is in the visa process is when you submit the actual visa application at the NVC stage

Really? That's great. We just submitted our I-130 packet from abroad, but I'll be moving back to the US this summer. I wanted hubby to come to settle me in, but was worried about him being denied entry. There's no way we'll be at the NVC stage in July so no need to worry at all if this is true. We live in a high fraud country but he's a French citizen so can get in with the VWP and has 4x before. Thanks for the info!!

Met: February 2010

Married: August 2013

Started research and gathering documents: January 2016

I-130 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox: April 15, 2016

NOA 1 (electronic), Nebraska Service Center: April 22, 2016

Case transferred: August 2, 2016

Case transferred again, California Service Center: August 26, 2016

NOA 2 (electronic): September 19, 2016

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

We recently got married in Pakistan and will be applying for our CR1 as soon as the documents are translated, etc. After we file, is there any way my husband could get a visitor visa to come here? My brother has some severe health issues, including MD and heart problems, and I would love for him to meet my husband sooner than later. My husband has 2 businesses in Pakistan, a house, kids, etc., so he has many ties there.

Would we just be wasting our money? Thanks for the info.

Hi, I'm in a similar situation to you guys, though we got married in US instead. We sent in the application for CR1 around the same time as you, in November, and we've since received the NOA1. Did he try applying for the tourist visa and if so, how did it go?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Guys,

Really great thread, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm married to a US citizen and we both live and work in the UK at the moment. We've been married for 4 years and will, therefore, apply for an IR-1 visa when the time comes to move back to the USA. I teach at a university in the UK and I'm currently doing my Ph.D., which has another 3 years and 4 months to run, so we have decided that my partner will go back to the USA in about 18 months time, to set up home and that I will travel out for extended periods once term time has finished (obviously within the rules and probably, 2 weeks at Christmas, 90 days in the summer etc). We won't apply for my IR-1 until I'm ready to move (2019), so I'll be traveling on a tourist visa. Do you think, in your experience, this is a plausible plan?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.