Hotter Otter

Visiting Visa While IR1-CR1 Is Pending

1,029 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Can you give full details please? What Visa does he hold or does he use ESTA.

What exactly happened the last time. Please explain all in detail. After that, we can try to give you advice. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

@Michael2017 is right, we need full details in order to evaluate the situation and give you advice. None or less the BPC is in full charge. Either he let's him pass or not. They have the full authority and power. Have you guys applied for a visa?

2 hours ago, susanm26 said:

Has anyone been denied entrance once and tried again with any success?

my husband tries to visit last October and was denied, he is from Australia.

i want him to try again but it is an extremely expensive chance to take....just wanting some advice....

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
20 hours ago, Jorcruzina said:

@Michael2017 is right, we need full details in order to evaluate the situation and give you advice. None or less the BPC is in full charge. Either he let's him pass or not. They have the full authority and power. Have you guys applied for a visa?

Here's the story....

in 2015 we applied for a k1 visa and went through the process. It was approved in may 2016, he came over from aus on his k-1 and we were married in July 2016. 

We we went to the local immigration office to find out what we needed to do at that time. He had to go back to aus for business that couldn't be put off. The immigaration worker told us that he could return to Australia and we could then file for parole and when he came back to the states we could file AOS

So, without seeking better information. He went home. 

We soon on found out that the information we were given was completely wrong. 

So so we did what I was told to do and that was to file for the IR-1/CR-1

he was coming planning on coming back for a visit, 2 weeks I believe to attend my best friends wedding. I had not received my first NOA for the new application. 

he was traveling over on esta. When he was boarding the plane in Sydney, he was stopped and given the phone to speak to US customs. They asked him about the k1, he explained what happened and that he was coming over for a visit, with a return flight home booked. He was put on hold and when she returned to the phone he was told he was denied entrance and his esta was cancelled. 

That was in slate September 2016, I received my first NOA on Sept 28

i have been to an immigration lawyer, he seemed to have no idea of why he would have been turned away. 

We we are fully aware that they are trying to prevent people coming over on esta then filing for AOS, but it seems sooooo many people are able to visit!

so I wonder if it is even worth him attempting to visit again or would we just be throwing away money ?

Timeline

Wow, your story is really complicated. I am sure there are senior members here who may answer. However, I personally would seek a lawyers opinion and that is done for just 20$ at Just Answer dot com. 

This is where I usually get very cheap, fast and competent lawyer answers for a couple of bucks. Still cheaper than buying a ticket and not being allowed to board. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

My administrative processing is now completed, and I will have to send my passport (Iranian), a new medical, and a police certificate to the General Consulate by the end of the coming week. I live in Canada and at the time my wife applied for me, I was not a Canadian citizen (holding an Iranian passport). I got my Canadian passport a couple of weeks ago, so US immigration technically does not know that I hold a Canadian passport. We are planning to go to the US to check a few places and do some preparation after we send my passport to the consulate. Do you think that going to the US with my Canadian passport would cause any problem for me? What are your thoughts about this?

Timeline

As Iran is part of the travel ban that will come out soon as new executive order, you most definitely will need to check the wording. If the new Executive Order includes dual citizen,you will be affected. I know for ESTA, that people having e.g. German and Iranian passports MUST apply for a visa and are not allowed for visa free travel. You must check if this applies also for the visa free travel agreement that affects Canadians. My suggestion is to check very well what will happen the next weeks as things change weekly for dual citizen like you.

P.S. I am sure the US government knows very well about your Canadian and Iranian Nationality, thinking they don`t is naive. 

Edited by Michael2017

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 2/2/2017 at 11:10 PM, susanm26 said:

Here's the story....

in 2015 we applied for a k1 visa and went through the process. It was approved in may 2016, he came over from aus on his k-1 and we were married in July 2016. 

We we went to the local immigration office to find out what we needed to do at that time. He had to go back to aus for business that couldn't be put off. The immigaration worker told us that he could return to Australia and we could then file for parole and when he came back to the states we could file AOS

So, without seeking better information. He went home. 

We soon on found out that the information we were given was completely wrong. 

So so we did what I was told to do and that was to file for the IR-1/CR-1

he was coming planning on coming back for a visit, 2 weeks I believe to attend my best friends wedding. I had not received my first NOA for the new application. 

he was traveling over on esta. When he was boarding the plane in Sydney, he was stopped and given the phone to speak to US customs. They asked him about the k1, he explained what happened and that he was coming over for a visit, with a return flight home booked. He was put on hold and when she returned to the phone he was told he was denied entrance and his esta was cancelled. 

That was in slate September 2016, I received my first NOA on Sept 28

i have been to an immigration lawyer, he seemed to have no idea of why he would have been turned away. 

We we are fully aware that they are trying to prevent people coming over on esta then filing for AOS, but it seems sooooo many people are able to visit!

so I wonder if it is even worth him attempting to visit again or would we just be throwing away money ?

First off, since his situation has changed, he need to re-apply for ESTA, ticking the box that asks if he has ever been denied entry to the US.

The abandonment of the "k-1" and the denied entry and removal from his flight is on his record now. Honestly, I doubt they'll let him visit, he's already shown immigrant intent by coming over on the k-1 and with that, he also has much stronger ties to the US than he does Australia. 

If you don't care about the money, you can always try. It won't affect the spousal visa. However, I think it's gonna be a wasted 14+ hour flight, if he's even allowed to board. :( 

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey everyone, My wife is Living in the Gold coast of Australia right now, waiting for her I130/cr1 to process ( NOA1 was received Oct19th ). But she and my 7mo son are flying over this weekend for a 6-week visit. I have been reading through this thread and others, and one of the biggest thing that everyone says is that she needs to make sure she "shows intent" to go back to Australia. Two of the biggest things are rental agreements and a job, neither of which she currently has ( We sold our house in Melbourne when I left, and she moved to live with her sister, to keep costs down, and she is on maternity leave).

Since those two biggies are not really available ( she might be able to get a very rudimentary rental agreement from her sister), what other things will help show intent? 

I am hoping she will be fine, but I just want to make sure she has as much proof as possible so that they let her in ( especially since she will be with a very cranky 7mo).

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
11 hours ago, brenthensarling said:

Hey everyone, My wife is Living in the Gold coast of Australia right now, waiting for her I130/cr1 to process ( NOA1 was received Oct19th ). But she and my 7mo son are flying over this weekend for a 6-week visit. I have been reading through this thread and others, and one of the biggest thing that everyone says is that she needs to make sure she "shows intent" to go back to Australia. Two of the biggest things are rental agreements and a job, neither of which she currently has ( We sold our house in Melbourne when I left, and she moved to live with her sister, to keep costs down, and she is on maternity leave).

Since those two biggies are not really available ( she might be able to get a very rudimentary rental agreement from her sister), what other things will help show intent? 

I am hoping she will be fine, but I just want to make sure she has as much proof as possible so that they let her in ( especially since she will be with a very cranky 7mo).

Did she get the B1/2 visa?

my spouse was turned down boarding in Sydney because he attempted to visit on his esta. 

He he went to the embassey in Sydney last week and was approved for a visitors visa. He was told he could still be turned away upon arrival in the US

i hope your wife is able to visit! I can't imagine being away from my husband and child

On 2/20/2017 at 11:37 AM, brenthensarling said:

On 2/20/2017 at 11:16 PM, susanm26 said:

Did she get the B1/2 visa?

my spouse was turned down boarding in Sydney because he attempted to visit on his esta. 

He he went to the embassey in Sydney last week and was approved for a visitors visa. He was told he could still be turned away upon arrival in the US

i hope your wife is able to visit! I can't imagine being away from my husband and child

Traveling on a B2 or ESTA can be risky while i130 pending. Keep job\lease agreements\future plans with family friends in home country\return tkt.. as evidence of return to your country. While some travelers get away with hardly a question, others are sent to secondary. Practically comes down to the whims of a CBP officer or arousing an officer's suspicion. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please see attached document for your options.

The document was given to me by my lawyer as checklist for travelling.

Ties.pdf

Edited by Michael2017

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

That would have been a good checklist to have last week! When you posted, My wife's Plane had just taken off from Brisbane! :) But this is a really good checklist for future travelers, so thank you!

We had already made sure she had most of what was on the checklist.

She sailed through customs without much issue at all. They were a bit confused why My wife and son had different last names, and My son was coming in on his US passport vs her AUS passport. But she just told them that I was here, and he has my last name. The agent asked if she had a return ticket, and she said yes, and they let her through. I am pretty happy that My wife and son as here for the next six and a half weeks.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Edited by brenthensarling

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm not sure how active this thread is any more, but it is the most pertinent to my situation.

Background:

I'm a Canadian citizen, my wife is dual American/Canadian with US passport. I've filed my IR1 paperwork and have my NOA1. We're told it should be going to NVC in April.

My wife is moving to Salt Lake City for work in July. We are planning for a land crossing as we want her to have the car there. We will also have a three week old baby at the time. I want to help her move in and get settled, as I'm a Canadian I'll be on a VWP. I'm finishing a 5-year work term currently so wont be enrolled in school or have a job when I intend to cross.

Otherwise I'll have the NOA (2 at that stage, hopefully) and my Canadian bank accounts, a return ticket to Canada (planning on staying 2 months) and deed to our house in Canada. Do you experts think this will be sufficient? I imagine it might look suspect because we'll have our baby and a UHaul trailer, but everything will be above board... not trying to pull any fast ones but I also don't want to get in trouble, if I get turned away at the border it will be a major problem.

Thanks, this site is an excellent resource.

A

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Having a trailer full of personal effects and no immigrant visa in your passport increases the odds that you will be turned away.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.