Together4ever

A Broken Journey

134 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Just a question VJ...since her husband was sent to jail...will he be made to leave the country (fiance asked)????

God, I hope so... but I don't know. If he actually has an AOS interview, the arrest will come up and hopefully AOS will be denied. If there is no interview, I'm not sure how things will work... heLL, I'm not sure of any of it, but I sure as heLL hope he gets sent back to Egypt. :yes:

That is what my fiance thinks should happen to him. I don't really have an opinion. I think it is awful any kind of abuse from anyone. I hope appropriate measure will be enforced.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
People I know that have gone through this experience or worse has had the support of family and friends until the very end!!!

if you have never been in this situation how can you comment on friends and family reactions?

just because, you know of someone dont mean that other 99% of the abused ladies/ girls dont get blown off by friends and family members. dont get support and respect confused.

when you returned to your attacker - your family does loose respect for you. because, they know you better! They know that you were not the person the attacker made you become! let me tell ya, my friends got upset with me, they also blew me off. when I made the choice to get out of the marriage they were there for me 100% They showed up with the police and that man was forever out of my life. they also involved me with things to keep my mind off the situation.

No, I have never been in that situation, but again the people I know that have been through this kind of ordeal has always gotten support from family and friends!!! Their families did not lose respect for them either.

Timeline

This is true. Even if it's not abuse but something else like cheating, friends and family get tired of hearing the boo hoos and watching the loved one crawl back to their abuser. I can tell you from experience, it's extremely frustrating to deal with someone who doesn't love themselves enough to stop accepting abuse.

I would get tired of hearing the boo hoo and the same awful stories too, but lose repsect for the victim, no! Lose respect for the abuser, yes!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I would get tired of hearing the boo hoo and the same awful stories too, but lose repsect for the victim, no! Lose respect for the abuser, yes!

I'm sorry, but yes, I would lose respect for someone who continually went back to an abuser. It's not to say I wouldn't be there to help when they **really** wanted/needed help, but how can you respect someone who has so little respect for themselves and would continually choose a situation like that? :blink:

I'm sorry.... it's tough love time!!!!! :thumbs:

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Timeline

:thumbs:

Like I said before, I've had experience dealing with a friend who kept going back for more and I basically washed my hands of the situation...I told her I didn't want to hear anymore until she decided she didn't want to take anymore shet. I would help her in the end (if she finally decides she's had enough). Until then, I don't even want to hear the man's name mentioned.

I'm sorry, but yes, I would lose respect for someone who continually went back to an abuser. It's not to say I wouldn't be there to help when they **really** wanted/needed help, but how can you respect someone who has so little respect for themselves and would continually choose a situation like that? :blink:

I'm sorry.... it's tough love time!!!!! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Just a question VJ...since her husband was sent to jail...will he be made to leave the country (fiance asked)????

God, I hope so... but I don't know. If he actually has an AOS interview, the arrest will come up and hopefully AOS will be denied. If there is no interview, I'm not sure how things will work... heLL, I'm not sure of any of it, but I sure as heLL hope he gets sent back to Egypt. :yes:

Wouldn't this arrest show up in security checks? One would hope that the gov't wouldn't allow an abuser to stay here.

I would think she can call USCIS and put a hault on the AOS since it has not yet been approved.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My prayers are with you.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

In abolutely NO WAY am I defending what Muhammad has done or the completely horrendous way in which he has treated you, but I too have noticed a change in my husband since his arrival in the U.S. We lived together in Jordan for several months and everything was wonderful. I was forced to return to the U.S. and wait for his arrival here a year later. A few days after his arrival I noticed him withdrawing into himself and becoming quiet. His smiles disappeared and his words fell nearly silent. He refused to leave the house, he refused to socialize, and although he remained polite with my family he had no desire to see them. Out of what I think is fear, he began to criticize the American culture and way of life....everything from the way we build our houses, to our street laws and other aspects of our lives. He NEVER became physically abusive with me but I knew something was wrong even though he refused to talk to me about it.

It is VERY difficult for these men to come here. Most have never traveled outside the city they were born in much less beyond their country and to a whole new world. It takes a tremendous emotional toll on them and many have trouble dealing with this. They have left everything they have known all their lives, not knowing when they will return - if ever, and it is a huge blow to their egos to come here and live in a woman's house with many of us whom work jobs while they are stuck at home waiting for theor EAD. Many of these guys were prominent members of their community back home and worked respectable jobs and now that they are here they have trouble getting hired at Wal-Mart and are constantly reminded that they are not as good as U.S. Citizen and made to feel sub-human. This is A LOT to handle and many simply snap.

Again, this is NO EXCUSE or REASON to EVER EVER hit another human being, much less your wife - the person who has stood by your side and done so much for you. I am already researching counselors and am doing my best to help my husband through this difficult time. I've pushed and finaly goten him to talk to me and we have begun to work it out together but I am still seeking professional assistance. I hope you are able to recover and heal from this terrible ordeal and my thoughts and prayers are with you, but please remember that you are NOT alone.

*************** K1 TIMELINE ****************

November 15, 2005 - I-129F Petition mailed to Vermont Service Center

Nov. 23 NOA-1 RFeceived / December 05, 2005 - NOA-2 Received

December 14, 2005 - Case # and packet received from U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

January 15, 2006 - Completed packet mailed to U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

March 26, 2006 - Letter received stating Visa Appointment scheduled for October 12, 2006

October 12, 2006 - Visa Interview - Approved!

October - December 2006 - Administrative Processing / Security Check

December 20, 2006 - State Department finishes administrative processing

January 24, 2007 - I FINALLY find out Visa is ready because NO ONE EVER called us from the embassy in Amman

February 27, 2007 - Passport sent off to embassy in Amman to have Visa put in

April 13, 2007 - VISA IN HAND!!! After 17 months....Friday the 13th...how fitting.

April 24, 2007 - Entrance into U.S. at Chicago O'Hare...YAY!!!

***************** AOS TIMELINE ******************

May 15, 2007 - Finally Married!!!!

May 17, 2007- Received Social Security Number

May 29, 2007 - Mailed of AOS/EAD Packet

June 9, 2007 - Received NOA-1

June 28, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

July 26, 2007 - RFE for I-485 (need to re-submit W-2s for sponsor and joint sponsor)

August 18, 2007 - Recived appointment letter for I-485.

October 25, 2007 - Green Card Interview!

***************** Lifting of Conditions ******************

October 19, 2009 - Interview for 10 yr. Green Card - Lifting of conditions

Filed: Timeline

Mandolin, I'm sorry to hear that your husband is struggling but I have to say that not all MENA men have this reaction. My husband has had a positive reaction so far. He has shown no signs of depression or withdrawal. Sure it bugs him that he has to stay home while waiting for his EAD but it's something that he knew would happen. He helps around the house...washing dishes, making the bed, straightening up, etc. to make up for the fact that I'm out working and he's at home. He's only made good observations about life here. This is man who lived in a rural farming town all his life and had never traveled outside of his country before.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Amanda-- that is really quite common and it's part of culture shock. I've gone through it when I moved to the South, and I am currently in stage 2 with Jordan LOL.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
:luv::luv: All any of us can do is love you Jean. Take care and let us know if we can do anything for you.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: Other Timeline
Amanda-- that is really quite common and it's part of culture shock. I've gone through it when I moved to the South, and I am currently in stage 2 with Jordan LOL.

Nothing in there about hitting, beating, or bruising someone else during any of the stages.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Timeline

My fiance has been here for a month. I see no signs of him struggling. I always ask questions about here and there, but I always get a positive response. I know for sure he really misses his mother; I make sure he calls her regularly. I hope if something bothers him at some point, I will notice something.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Nothing in there about hitting, beating, or bruising someone else during any of the stages.

Umm of course? Because that's not whom I was replying to Peezy. Amanda also did not mention anything about any of these things.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.