eckoin

Parent interview - can I attend?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

On a more positive side this is well in the future and she has plenty of time to work on her language skills, she will need that for working etc in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

On a more positive side this is well in the future and she has plenty of time to work on her language skills, she will need that for working etc in the US.

Man, she's lived in Canada since 2003. This has been a conversation for years. She's become a lot more self reliant after I moved away, so that's why I think she's doing better. She has a job where she has to talk to people in English, no one complains. 

But she surrounds herself with other Russians, and hasn't done a good job of learning English. Passable, maybe, but not good. It's flabbergasting how she made it this far sometimes... So trust me, I know. I've enrolled her in classes before, didn't go. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That begs the practicality issues of her moving from an environment where she is comfortable, her future work prospects etc etc.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

That begs the practicality issues of her moving from an environment where she is comfortable, her future work prospects etc etc.

That's why she's set on South FL. Still way closer to us, a day trip away, but the Russian diaspora is certainly there. I'm sure she'll be fine for work, she already has a number of friends and potential clients. But don't get me wrong, English needs to be handled. It's more than a little ridiculous at this point. 

------------------

------------------

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

There was a similar post on this subject a day or two ago.  If you are concerned, you can bring an interpreter who is fluent in Russian, but check with the Montreal Consulate for their policies to make sure.  From the other thread, when interpreters are allowed, you have to satisfy the IO that they will be unbiased in their interpretation, i.e., it can't be a family member or friend who might change their answers to make them sound more "correct."

The good thing about interviews is they ask the preferred language that the applicant is comfortable speaking in. You may not be able to be the interpreter for your mother. It is not normal for the Petitioner to also be the translator as it would be a biased situation. It also prevents ad-libbing or added responses as the translation must be word for word.

However, USCIS has personnel available or an authorized interpreter can be brought to the interview.

Don't waste your time even bothering to contact USCIS about this because they will all give you a generic reply about "following the instructions in the form" which would leave you even more confused than when you began.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Timeline

@carmel34 and @Amadia

You guys are right. I think it makes more sense to get a licensed (?) interpreter just in case, rather than me going with her. Now that I think about it, she'll just default to me answering like everything else in life. On the upside, I learned how to deal with mortgage brokers when I was 13! Thanks all! 

------------------

------------------

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, Amadia said:

The good thing about interviews is they ask the preferred language that the applicant is comfortable speaking in. You may not be able to be the interpreter for your mother. It is not normal for the Petitioner to also be the translator as it would be a biased situation. It also prevents ad-libbing or added responses as the translation must be word for word.

However, USCIS has personnel available or an authorized interpreter can be brought to the interview.

Don't waste your time even bothering to contact USCIS about this because they will all give you a generic reply about "following the instructions in the form" which would leave you even more confused than when you began.

USCIS has nothing to do with the visa interview -- that is conducted by a State Department officer at the Consulate.  I suspect they will not allow the petitioner to attend a parent's interview.  An applicant can take an interpreter, if needed, but that shouldn't be a close family member, let alone the petitioner.

4 hours ago, jan22 said:

USCIS has nothing to do with the visa interview -- that is conducted by a State Department officer at the Consulate.  I suspect they will not allow the petitioner to attend a parent's interview.  An applicant can take an interpreter, if needed, but that shouldn't be a close family member, let alone the petitioner.

She would be allowed in and sat in the lobby area which is visible to the interview windows.  Montreal allows petitioners. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good to know, and good luck OP!!  I will also be filing for my parents soon (Canada).  I became a citizen a few months back. 

My parents speak english just fine (they've been in Canada for well over 40 years), but my mom is... quirky.  LOL.  She's a little lady and she can't just...answer a question.  She does, but with a little extra flare that she could likely afford to just leave out this time around.  Haha.  We were planning on making it a family vacation... when I did my K1, I was able to interview in Vancouver (where we all are from) but I think all interviews now go through Montreal.  I use to travel to Montreal a lot for business but haven't been since leaving Canada and my job that I had there, so I'm looking forward to going back! 

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

On 4/7/2019 at 7:25 PM, NikLR said:

She would be allowed in and sat in the lobby area which is visible to the interview windows.  Montreal allows petitioners. 

But OP said they didn't want to just sit in the lobby -- they wanted to actually be in the interview.  That is unlikely to happen.

Petitioners are not allowed at the interview unless the CO has a query. They'd be asked to have a seat indoors, usually within sight of the interview window. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

19 hours ago, jan22 said:

But OP said they didn't want to just sit in the lobby -- they wanted to actually be in the interview.  That is unlikely to happen.

The lobby area in Montreal isnt like a different area though.  That's what I'm trying to portray.   Literally if you wanted to listen in on people's interviews, you could.  And petitioners have gone up to the window they just aren't supposed to answer questions directed to the beneficiary.  But that's with spousal cases and I'm unsure that a child petitioner would be allowed at the interview window. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

14 minutes ago, NikLR said:

The lobby area in Montreal isnt like a different area though.  That's what I'm trying to portray.   Literally if you wanted to listen in on people's interviews, you could.  And petitioners have gone up to the window they just aren't supposed to answer questions directed to the beneficiary.  But that's with spousal cases and I'm unsure that a child petitioner would be allowed at the interview window. 

That set-up ("lobby", i.e., waiting room is open to the interview windows) is the same at the vast majority of US Embassies.  In most, there is only one private interview space that is used for sensitive cases.

Edited by jan22

1 minute ago, jan22 said:

That set-up ("lobby", i.e., waiting room is open to the interview windows) is the same at the vast majority of US Embassies.  In most, there is only one private interview space that is used for sensitive cases.

Interesting to note. Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.