NAME327

K-1 Visa (CAIRO, EGYPT) - Approved at Interview and now in Administrative Processing

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice from those who have been through (or are currently going through) the process of Administrative Processing on a K-1 Visa. 
I am the US Citizen Sponsor and my fiancé is the beneficiary in Egypt.  

Here is our timeline:

2/20/19 - My fiancé completes interview in Cairo.  APPROVED, and given letter saying "Congratulations, you are approved and will receive passport in 2 weeks"  They kept my fiancé's passport and did fingerprints and kept all documents (medical, police certificate, etc).

2/20/19 - Case is in Administrative Processing until 3/5/19 

3/5/19 - My fiancé receives an email requesting that additional information be provided.  (Travel History, Names of Brothers/Sisters, Work History, Social Media, Residence)

As of today (4/5/19) it is still in Administrative Processing.  We know that it can usually take up to 60 days for finalizing, and there are no issues because my fiancé has never been married, no children, has never traveled anywhere, has lived in the same home for over 10 years, and has only had one place of employment.  My fiancé does have a family name that is very common in Egypt, so we are thinking this may be the reason (and of course the standard security checks they need to do).  Has anyone else had a similar experience or know of a similar experience that they can share?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!  And best wishes to everyone going through this process.

Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, NAME327 said:

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice from those who have been through (or are currently going through) the process of Administrative Processing on a K-1 Visa. 
I am the US Citizen Sponsor and my fiancé is the beneficiary in Egypt.  

Here is our timeline:

2/20/19 - My fiancé completes interview in Cairo.  APPROVED, and given letter saying "Congratulations, you are approved and will receive passport in 2 weeks"  They kept my fiancé's passport and did fingerprints and kept all documents (medical, police certificate, etc).

2/20/19 - Case is in Administrative Processing until 3/5/19 

3/5/19 - My fiancé receives an email requesting that additional information be provided.  (Travel History, Names of Brothers/Sisters, Work History, Social Media, Residence)

As of today (4/5/19) it is still in Administrative Processing.  We know that it can usually take up to 60 days for finalizing, and there are no issues because my fiancé has never been married, no children, has never traveled anywhere, has lived in the same home for over 10 years, and has only had one place of employment.  My fiancé does have a family name that is very common in Egypt, so we are thinking this may be the reason (and of course the standard security checks they need to do).  Has anyone else had a similar experience or know of a similar experience that they can share?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!  And best wishes to everyone going through this process.

AP can be 2-3 days, 2-3 weeks, 2-3 months, or even 1-2+ years. Couple from Egypt recently for spousal visa was at 18+ months. There is no way to expedite or bypass it obviously. The embassy will continue to do their checks as noted also. Same last name, or common last names can trigger delays possibly. But at this point have to be patient right now.

Also to note, approval at interview is good, but it can be denied during AP... not to make you worry but it has happened. So nothing is guaranteed until visa is in hand.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

28 minutes ago, NAME327 said:

We know that it can usually take up to 60 days for finalizing,

Actually, AP can last longer than that. Sixty (60) days is not definitive. AP can last as long as it takes. We have seen AP last weeks months and even years.

Hopefully this does not happen to you but just wanted to help you understand that the 60 days is not a guarantee.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Look up DS5535 form and see if this form was what your fiance was given. It sounds like it is. If it is, these typically take 9-12 months to process. 

Usually the visas are approved after the DS5535 is processed, it just takes really long. 

You will find a lot of information on here about that form 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

finance received the ds 5535 form to fill out

happens to many these days

including married persons

sorry to say another man got the letter and said "welcome to the US" and said he would get notified to pick up visa in 2 weeks

3 months later they informed his USC gf that the case was being returned to the USCIS 

so, your fiance should make no plans till he has that visa in hand

and this can take a year of more 

he also should not travel outside of Egypt as they now are checking the last 15 years of international travel and you don't need to add new Ports of call to the investigation

sorry you are going thru this and to tell the truth it could be faster for you to go and marry and hopefully by time of CR1 interview,  the DS5535 investigation would be complete

allah yekbel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.