HP+IC

Update internal passport, driving license etc Ukraine

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So my moving is already scheduled, I have a couple of months and would like to know do I need to or rather will I benefit from updating internal documents. I still have a book type passport from 90s which bears a record of my now dissolved marriage (this can not be deleted) and a pink card drivers license from 2008 (non-international). Will anyone in the USA need/ask for my local ID and drivers license? I've heard that the bank may need Ukrainian ID with residential registration as the prove of domicile in Ukraine and that you can drive with foreign license for a limited time. It that so? Is it state-specific? So shall I have my dox updated while the time permits. Thank you. 

Timeline

Driver licences are state specific. "International" driver licences are generally not recognized. Proof of previous marriage might be beneficial on the off chance your ex-husband moves to US. Once you reach official retirement age, SSI starts crossrefencing those things in order to determine retirement payments, and that topic might come up. I know of the cases it happened, and former USSR folks had to scramble as most only have evidence of divorce, but not marriage, since marriage certificate was usually destroyed in divorce. This was very edge case.

For the bank, you will need SSN usually, and the point of opening bank account is to establish funds commingling, so at this point your Domicile should be in US which would be proven by your marriage certificate. 

One thing to do, if you will continue to use any services in Ukraine, make sure you won't need to authenticate via phone. Privat bank for example apparently is unable or unwilling to send SMS to US numbers. It might be good to set up Ukrainian number phone that  works as a forwarder.

Timeline

I asked today at my cell service provider's office and they said that I can switch from the contract to prepaid in about 5 days and keep my Ukrainian cell number as long as I want topping it up once every year with month worth amount before use. If Viber is now linked to UA cell number, and this number will be still active, can I keep it as it is or do I have to switch it to US cell number when I get one? I mostly get text messages from banks on Viber and manage my accounts online through phone app.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I suggest obtaining multiple copies of all of your official documents that would be difficult, impossible, or expensive to get from afar:  birth certificates, divorce certificates, school transcripts, medical records, immunization records (definitely more than one copy, with official stamps & official translations with stamps), police record, and any other permanent or important document that you can possibly think of.  Also consider renewing your Ukrainian driver's license for the longest period possible.

On a hunch (back then), I had Mrs. T-B.-to-be do all these things, and we were really glad later.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
5 hours ago, HP+IC said:

I asked today at my cell service provider's office and they said that I can switch from the contract to prepaid in about 5 days and keep my Ukrainian cell number as long as I want topping it up once every year with month worth amount before use. If Viber is now linked to UA cell number, and this number will be still active, can I keep it as it is or do I have to switch it to US cell number when I get one? I mostly get text messages from banks on Viber and manage my accounts online through phone app.

There should be no reason not to switch it. Switching Viber/Telegram/Whatsapp to US number should be mostly transparent, people will not need to readd you, and you keep all of your contacts. In US, use T-mobile (or possibly AT&T) as a carrier, and you can even keep your old phone, just swap the SIM card. I would suggest to stay away from Verizon. The only issues are straight SMS messages (not the ones through Viber) If your bank uses SMS to verify access with codes etc, that might create problems. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

On the cell phone subject my wife uses lycamobile. It gives her unlimited cell phone calls ito ukraine from USA to any kyivstar phone number. I know you can use viber or WhatsApp but she likes to be able to call direct on a cell phone. It’s also very cheap, you can get the first 3 months for $20 total through amazon.  It’s uses the T-Mobile phone towers so it’s like having T-Mobile for 1/5 of the price with free international long distance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.