bigbuns1291

Marriage-Based Green Card Application (Canadian citizen marrying US citizen)

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Usually a week or so, can be longer

If you move to another Country you can interview there, you do not have to go through the country you are a Citizen of.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
11 hours ago, bigbuns1291 said:

Thank you very much for replying!

I have a few more question if you don't mind:

1. Once I get to the NVC/Consulate General in Montreal phase, I am wondering if I need to give them my passport? If so, how long does it take to get my passport back?

2. If I happen to be traveling outside of Canada at the time of the NVC/Consulate General in Montreal phase, am I able to use the Consulate services in other countries or do i have to fly back to Canada and complete the process in Montreal, since I am a Canadian Citizen?

Thank you very much again for your help, you are making this process a little less terrifying than it was earlier this week :)

1) Yes, you'll have to give them your passport. It'll take about 1-2 weeks to get it back

2) Yes, except for in America, as there are no US consulates in America. If you are in America, you will have to come back to Canada. However, you'll have to request a change of consulate if you move to another country. If you're just visiting a country, depending on the notice of the interview (which hopefully shouldn't be too short of notice because usually you'll know your interview date a month or so in advance), you may just have to come back to Canada or change your travel plans to match up with your interview if you don't have time to make a consulate change request.

Edited by LilyJohansen

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
58 minutes ago, LilyJohansen said:

1) Yes, you'll have to give them your passport. It'll take about 1-2 weeks to get it back

2) Yes, except for in America, as there are no US consulates in America. If you are in America, you will have to come back to Canada. However, you'll have to request a change of consulate if you move to another country. If you're just visiting a country, depending on the notice of the interview (which hopefully shouldn't be too short of notice because usually you'll know your interview date a month or so in advance), you may just have to come back to Canada or change your travel plans to match up with your interview if you don't have time to make a consulate change request.

As for 2, above, your answer is incorrect.  The OP said "traveling", not "moving to".  You can interview in your country of citizenship or country of residence, not random countries in which you are "traveling".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
43 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

As for 2, above, your answer is incorrect.  The OP said "traveling", not "moving to".  You can interview in your country of citizenship or country of residence, not random countries in which you are "traveling".

Yes my bad, you are right. OP, you will just have to come back to Canada if your interview falls on a date that you are visiting another country.

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

4 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Hello, I have a question about the term "residence". I do have a resident card for Poland, which I applied for when I did some schooling and research here, and it expires in April 2021. I do still visit and stay in Poland during my breaks. Does having this temporary resident card qualify me to use the US embassy in Warsaw, Poland? If so, would you recommend having the interview in Warsaw, Poland instead of Montreal, Canada - in terms of the time required to reach the interview stage? Thank you!

Timeline
2 hours ago, bigbuns1291 said:

Hello, I have a question about the term "residence". I do have a resident card for Poland, which I applied for when I did some schooling and research here, and it expires in April 2021. I do still visit and stay in Poland during my breaks. Does having this temporary resident card qualify me to use the US embassy in Warsaw, Poland? If so, would you recommend having the interview in Warsaw, Poland instead of Montreal, Canada - in terms of the time required to reach the interview stage? Thank you!

A temporary resident card for a person who doesn't actually reside there, would not get you an interview in Poland.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
14 minutes ago, bigbuns1291 said:

Thank you for letting me know!

The whole idea of "using an Embassy" is far off the mark for an immigrant visa.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 hours ago, bigbuns1291 said:

I do love your lateral creative thinking processes ...  but you’re just going to have to ride the process ahead of you like we all do...   no ways to shortcut or shorten unfortunately ... 😫 

best approach is often intentional resignation to the “system” that is USCIS ! 😬

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

I do love your lateral creative thinking processes ...  but you’re just going to have to ride the process ahead of you like we all do...   no ways to shortcut or shorten unfortunately ... 😫 

best approach is often intentional resignation to the “system” that is USCIS ! 😬

Correct, but Consulate/Embassy shopping is the Dept. of State part of the process, not USCIS.  USCIS does not issue visas, ever, for any reason.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Just now, pushbrk said:

Correct, but Consulate/Embassy shopping is the Dept. of State part of the process, not USCIS.  USCIS does not issue visas, ever, for any reason.

I think the OP will understand the intent behind my post 😁

Timeline
Just now, Lil bear said:

I think the OP will understand the intent behind my post 😁

Maybe.  Quite likely.  Certainly now, what needs to be understood, is understood.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.