9 posts in this topic

Hello to all my visa journey experts,

I am fairly new to taxes and I don’t have much experience. My spouse and I got married in 2018, he is not from this country neither is he in the country. He also does not yet have a social security number. My question to you all is what would I file as (for tax purposes)?

Also, If I file as married do I need to get a tax identification number? If I file will it have to be by mail? And about how long will it take to process both my taxes and the identification number? I want to make sure I file on time and this is the only thing we are waiting for with our affidavit. 

Edited by OAAA

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I did mine by mail as it said they needed offical copies of marriage certificate

has the immigrant done the W7 or do u have a POA from him to do it as you would also need to submit a copy of the POA ?

then you file joint or married filing separate (your choice)  I choose to claim my spouse for the extra credit 

It will take longer especially now that we get so close to all the work from the late filers with April 15th coming up fast now

you do have to file as married and i don't think the online systems will allow you to leave the spot (for spouse SS # ) blank

I could be wrong as the online systems have improved since i did the ITIN

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 hour ago, OAAA said:

Hello to all my visa journey experts,

I am fairly new to taxes and I don’t have much experience. My spouse and I got married in 2018, he is not from this country neither is he in the country. He also does not yet have a social security number. My question to you all is what would I file as (for tax purposes)?

Also, If I file as married do I need to get a tax identification number? If I file will it have to be by mail? And about how long will it take to process both my taxes and the identification number? I want to make sure I file on time and this is the only thing we are waiting for with our affidavit. 

if you file married filing separate or married filing joint it all has to be done on paper, the electronic systems like turbo tax, and HR Block, or free tax usa will not let you by pass the SSN field.

if you file for ITIN you will have to have the original documents, I sent my husband passport in to get the ITIN number, a self address prepaid envelope to return it back to me all the papers needed including our tax return it took about 3 weeks to get the original papers back, and another 3 weeks for the tax return and refund back was sent to our checking account.

I know of some that have filed single, and will amend when their spouse gets into USA, I am not telling you by any means to do that, I am just saying some have.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

if you file married filing separate or married filing joint it all has to be done on paper, the electronic systems like turbo tax, and HR Block, or free tax usa will not let you by pass the SSN field.

if you file for ITIN you will have to have the original documents, I sent my husband passport in to get the ITIN number, a self address prepaid envelope to return it back to me all the papers needed including our tax return it took about 3 weeks to get the original papers back, and another 3 weeks for the tax return and refund back was sent to our checking account.

I know of some that have filed single, and will amend when their spouse gets into USA, I am not telling you by any means to do that, I am just saying some have.

filing single and submitting that tax return at an interview is hard to prove the marriage is bona fida 

and sincerely,  at this point,  you are not single 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Just now, adil-rafa said:

filing single and submitting that tax return at an interview is hard to prove the marriage is bona fida 

and sincerely,  at this point,  you are not single 

I agree with you, but people have done it, and one recently has done it and gotten approved with other evidence, all I was pointing out is that some have done it

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It took them 1 and half week to issue an ITIN number for me. I didn't submit my original passport. Was too scared to send it by post to my husband because they keeping losing or messing up when I send things overseas. I sent a certified copy of my passport and it worked fine. Like Khallaf said, if you file it as married filing jointly or separately you will have to file in paper.  If you are doing it jointly your spouse has to fill out the W7 form and submit it along with the returns and his passport.

Timeline

I don't know if IRS offices do this anymore but when i did 2010 taxes and added Adil,  i took the original marriage certificate and copy of his national ID (u can use copy of passport or an original birth certificate)   to IRS office.  IRS copied the documents (both languages ) and the man signed to certify he had seen originals .  i do know IRS has quit doing several of the services like helping file taxes and am not sure if this will help you.

But at least have your spouse do a POA for you to do business in his name.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 4/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, adil-rafa said:

I don't know if IRS offices do this anymore but when i did 2010 taxes and added Adil,  i took the original marriage certificate and copy of his national ID (u can use copy of passport or an original birth certificate)   to IRS office.  IRS copied the documents (both languages ) and the man signed to certify he had seen originals .  i do know IRS has quit doing several of the services like helping file taxes and am not sure if this will help you.

But at least have your spouse do a POA for you to do business in his name.

They do, but all you need is you passport. No marriage certificate required. Did it this year, and already got my ITIN and refund

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Timeline
2 hours ago, junkmart said:

They do, but all you need is you passport. No marriage certificate required. Did it this year, and already got my ITIN and refund

IRS sent adil a notice to send in an original marriage certificate even though i had sent it with the tax papers

he email me the letter and i went to IRS office with another original marriage paper

so, might just be country dependent  (and it was 2010 taxes so things change)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.