CaseyBorne88

I-94 question.

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Me and my fiance are making final preparations to be married on April 14th. We have read that we need a copy of her I-94 to aquire a SSN in order to get a marriage license. The thing is..She was not given any paper documents that say I-94. Some say it's placed in the passport  but I looked up the image and it is not there as well. I did put in her information into the USCIS website and obtained a print out of her i-94 "number". Is this sufficient to applying for a SSN? also can I apply online? Thanks in advance for any information.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

Me and my fiance are making final preparations to be married on April 14th. We have read that we need a copy of her I-94 to aquire a SSN in order to get a marriage license. The thing is..She was not given any paper documents that say I-94. Some say it's placed in the passport  but I looked up the image and it is not there as well. I did put in her information into the USCIS website and obtained a print out of her i-94 "number". Is this sufficient to applying for a SSN? also can I apply online? Thanks in advance for any information.

most States dont need ssn to get a marriage license..but yes print out of i94 would be enough..im not sure how to do it online though

Timeline
34 minutes ago, FilAm24 said:

most States dont need ssn to get a marriage license..but yes print out of i94 would be enough..im not sure how to do it online though

Thanks for the reply. I called my local Clerk of Court in Louisiana and it is a requirement here.

1 minute ago, demortis1968 said:

You can get your I-94 online.  Go to i94.cbp.dhs.gov and click get most recent i-94.

Thank you. I appreciate the help :)

51 minutes ago, FilAm24 said:

most States dont need ssn to get a marriage license

No state requires it. The only stipulation (under federal law) is that, if you have a social security number already, you are obligated to disclose it when you make the marriage license application.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Hypnos said:

No state requires it. The only stipulation (under federal law) is that, if you have a social security number already, you are obligated to disclose it when you make the marriage license application.

yea you are right..in my state its what i know but i dunno about other states when it comes into getting a marriage license. 

OP said they called their local clerk of court and they require it. Best to go in person and clarify.

Timeline
1 hour ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

Me and my fiance are making final preparations to be married on April 14th. We have read that we need a copy of her I-94 to aquire a SSN in order to get a marriage license.

Not sure which parish you're at.  I assume Livingston?  SSN is not required for non-USC/LPR to get a marriage license.  Instead of SSN, your fiancee must present her valid and unexpired passport from the Philippines.  She will also need to provide her PSA birth certificate.

https://www.livclerk.org/marriage-licenses/

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ate said:

Not sure which parish you're at.  I assume Livingston?  SSN is not required for non-USC/LPR to get a marriage license.  Instead of SSN, your fiancee must present her valid and unexpired passport from the Philippines.  She will also need to provide her PSA birth certificate.

https://www.livclerk.org/marriage-licenses/

We do live in Livingston Parish but we will be getting married in Ascension Parish since my church is located there. I already called the Clerk of Court and it is a requirement in AP.

Timeline

On second thought tho; since my residency is here. I dont think the location of our wedding ceremony is going to be an issue. Awesome! Thank you so much for that information!

Timeline
1 minute ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

We do live in Livingston Parish but we will be getting married in Ascension Parish since my church is located there. I already called the Clerk of Court and it is a requirement in AP.

In Louisiana, "a marriage license may be issued in any parish, regardless of where the ceremony is to be performed or where the parties reside" as long as the ceremony takes place in the state.

In any case, Ascension parish may also waive the requirement for SSN if you choose to apply for a marriage license there -- "If no number has been issued, that person must appear in person and sign a statement to that effect."

http://www.ascensionclerk.com/Marriage-Licenses

Timeline
1 minute ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

On second thought tho; since my residency is here. I dont think the location of our wedding ceremony is going to be an issue. Awesome! Thank you so much for that information!

Yup, you may apply for a marriage license from any parish in LA.  No need to delay your wedding to wait for your fiancee's SSN.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, CaseyBorne88 said:

The I-94 should have her name and number on it.      Must apply for the SSN in person  

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/ebe.html    Need to complete the SS-5

I-94 is online at CBP   https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.