SMcC

NVC stage - Name change for wife.(merged)

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Some advice needed as calling the NVC didn't help at all. 

Our situation: We have been approved through USCIS and now waiting for the NVC case number. All of the paperwork with I-130 has been filled out with my wife's maiden name. She will be getting a new passport soon and will be changing her name to her married name. We haven't started the DS-260 yet and she doesn't have the new passport to make a photocopy for the required documents. Should we fill out the DS-260 with her married name? Should we wait until the interview to show the new passport and have the name changed then? I fear that if the DS-260 doesn't have her married name, we will run into some problems at the interview. Any advice would be helpful. :-)

(We will be going to the Ukrainian Consulate)

I'm currently going through the same situation. My I-130 was filled out with my maiden name, but I have now officially changed my name after marriage. I haven't reached NVC stage yet, but I was advised to use my new name on all future forms/documents. Provide official proof of the name change (i.e. deed poll, new passport, etc.) at the interview. Also check with the beneficiary's specific country's rules, it's different everywhere. For example, here in the UK, I needed to get a deed poll first in order to change my name in my passport. Then I called everywhere else, doctor's, insurance, tax, etc. and changed my name officially on all documents. That way, when I later apply for a police certificate, etc. it will all be in the new name.

Good luck!

CR1 Visa Timeline

Texas Service Center

10th August 2018: I-130 Petition Filed

15th August 2018: I-130 Payment taken

23rd August 2018: NOA1 Received

Timeline

I am hoping you can help.

Would you please give some assistance with a question regarding our situation?  The NVC hasn’t been able to respond.

We have been approved through USCIS and are now waiting for the NVC welcome

letter. All of the paperwork with the I-130 has been filled out with my

wife's maiden name. She will be getting a new Ukrainian passport soon and

will be changing her current name to her married name. We haven't started

the DS-260 yet and she doesn't have the new passport with her married name

to make a photocopy for the required documents submission.

Should we fill out the DS-260 with her married name?

Should we continue using her maiden name and wait until the interview at the

consulate to show the new passport and then have the name changed at that point?

If the DS-260 doesn't have her married name, will we run into some problems

at the interview when she presents her new passport?

Any advice would be helpful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, SMcC said:

Would you please give some assistance with a question regarding our situation?  The NVC hasn’t been able to respond.

We have been approved through USCIS and are now waiting for the NVC welcome

consulate to show the new passport and then have the name changed at that point?

I'd think she can fill it out, using her married name.

There is a place on DS-260 to put her maiden name - right after Surname & Given name I believe. It will ask if she ever used other names - i.e maiden, religious and etc.. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260 Exemplar.pdf

Timeline

Would you please give some assistance with a question regarding our situation?  The NVC hasn’t been able to respond. Although there are many threads here, there isn't any certainty.

We have been approved through USCIS and are now waiting for the NVC welcome

Timeline

You can address this question to USA embassy in Kiev. I had similiar situation, when i was awaiting interview in Kiev and was considering to change my name, I asked them and they said I can do it, just bring the document stating I changed my name.

I have another question though... How did your wife managed to change her name? Did you marriage certificate had it written that  she can?

Timeline
4 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

OP,... Do you even read the answers?.. You keep starting a new thread , asking the same question

I thought I had the post in the wrong section. Sorry to annoy you. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Gitana said:

You can address this question to USA embassy in Kiev. I had similiar situation, when i was awaiting interview in Kiev and was considering to change my name, I asked them and they said I can do it, just bring the document stating I changed my name.

I have another question though... How did your wife managed to change her name? Did you marriage certificate had it written that  she can?

My wife has her maiden name on our marriage certificate. My wife has to go get a "name change" form and  get  a new State Passport ID. After the new State Passport ID, she can then go get the International Passport. She had to make an appointment to fill out the "name change" form and new State Passport ID at dmsu.gov.ua. You cannot find the form online and submit it. You have to go in person. 

Timeline

*UPDATE*

Message from US Consulate in Ukraine:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX,

Since your wife does not have a new passport yet and delay in DS-260 submission would delay her interview, she may complete the DS-260 form in her maiden name, listing her new last name in aliases for now.  Once she has a new passport, she should send a copy to the processing agency (NVC or the Embassy, if the case would be here by then) with the request to update her DS-260.  We may unlock it for corrections at any time.

We hope this is helpful.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any additional questions.

Regards,

Immigrant Visa Unit
Consular Section
U.S. Embassy

KyivIV@state.gov

Timeline
15 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

I'd think she can fill it out, using her married name.

There is a place on DS-260 to put her maiden name - right after Surname & Given name I believe. It will ask if she ever used other names - i.e maiden, religious and etc.. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260 Exemplar.pdf

Thank you!

Timeline
On 3/25/2019 at 11:29 PM, Muna_93 said:

I'm currently going through the same situation. My I-130 was filled out with my maiden name, but I have now officially changed my name after marriage. I haven't reached NVC stage yet, but I was advised to use my new name on all future forms/documents. Provide official proof of the name change (i.e. deed poll, new passport, etc.) at the interview. Also check with the beneficiary's specific country's rules, it's different everywhere. For example, here in the UK, I needed to get a deed poll first in order to change my name in my passport. Then I called everywhere else, doctor's, insurance, tax, etc. and changed my name officially on all documents. That way, when I later apply for a police certificate, etc. it will all be in the new name.

Good luck!

This was the letter I received from the US Consulate:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXXX,

Since your wife does not have a new passport yet and delay in DS-260 submission would delay her interview, she may complete the DS-260 form in her maiden name, listing her new last name in aliases for now.  Once she has a new passport, she should send a copy to the processing agency (NVC or the Embassy, if the case would be here by then) with the request to update her DS-260.  We may unlock it for corrections at any time.

We hope this is helpful.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any additional questions.

Regards,

Immigrant Visa Unit
Consular Section
U.S. Embassy

Timeline

OK I understand, she changed her name based on her wish to change it, not on marriage certificate 

how long the whole process took? 

Edited by Gitana

Hm, yes, your case might be a bit different since she doesn't have her new passport yet and is already filling out DS260. Follow what they say, it should be fine!

CR1 Visa Timeline

Texas Service Center

10th August 2018: I-130 Petition Filed

15th August 2018: I-130 Payment taken

23rd August 2018: NOA1 Received

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Gitana said:

OK I understand, she changed her name based on her wish to change it, not on marriage certificate 

how long the whole process took? 

Interesting that you should ask. When we got married in Odessa and the authority there indicated that she would have to change her name in 30 days? We found that not to be true and she could change it at any time. She wished to change her name, but we know that if she has her passport, visa and green card all issued in her maiden name, changing after that would be a lengthy hassle as well as she would need to be in Ukraine to make the passport change. 

To answer how long the process took? She has an appointment for her "name change" form and State Passport ID change on April 9, 2019. She made the appointment on March 25. Scheduling fills up quickly, so she had to sit by the computer at 12:00am for the website to refresh for the new day to get an appointment. I'm not sure how long it will be until she gets her new State Passport ID after going to the appointment or how long it will be to get the International Passport afterwards. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.