DonnieOlena

Kyiv Medical questions

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all my fiance has been watching YouTube to learn some information about the medical portion from Kyiv.

She was worried about the large amounts of negative information she sees from the chest x-ray and everyone that must do the spetum test and delays. I feel she sees alot that my be from the Moscow medical instead. What is the take on this from one's that have medical in Kyiv so I can try to calm the worries of delays

Thank you

4 hours ago, DonnieOlena said:

Hello all my fiance has been watching YouTube to learn some information about the medical portion from Kyiv.

She was worried about the large amounts of negative information she sees from the chest x-ray and everyone that must do the spetum test and delays. I feel she sees alot that my be from the Moscow medical instead. What is the take on this from one's that have medical in Kyiv so I can try to calm the worries of delays

Thank you

It doesn’t actually matter if it’s in Moscow or elsewhere else. Those medical centers are authorized by US embassy and they cannot be biased. If a person’s X-ray shows something suspicious, the person is directed to do that spetum test. If your fiancé has never had any problems with Mantoux test or xrays in the past, I don’t think she needs to get worked up before time. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Gosh, Medikom is probably one of the best medical offices throughout the country. Curious to know where she was taken care of before and how is it that she doesn't trust them and had never had a chest x-ray (almost routine procedure even for normal Ukrainian medical care) which makes her uncomfortable. Medikom themselves are a breeze, easy to access, extremely helpful, very well organized, free coffee vending, handing out free sandwiches, beautiful office, caring staff: Katya the immigrant office receptionist, male and female physicians (she will speak to both in turn), a very competent nurse and radiologist doctor. I was there with 13 yo son, was referred to pediatrician floor as well, son enjoyed his visit as well. That is, if she opts for Medikom. There is also another MOM office, which I've read about and decided not to go to. The fee is the same, she just has to make her decision. 

As to tuberculosis, almost all Ukrainians have contracted it to the age of 30. There are sick people but definitely the amount is smaller and at her age she would have known the signs and her chance of (not) getting sick. I saw one male person being referred to sputum test on my medical day but nobody ever made a fuss about it. Things happen. Having an active TB and not knowing/not undergoing treatment is much worse then being delayed in the K1 journey. 

Timeline

It's not that , she sees videos to try to prepare best she can and you know as well as I do videos only tell story of people that not happy. I told her to relax and not worry. She used to be a smoker and i think in back of mind she worry about this. I think it is mostly the understanding we may have in West of medicine. She has never had any medical issues ever except many many years ago when she had her twins. But that is also the result of 1990's medicine. But I can say after my fight with MRSA after a knee surgery that resulted in a knee replacement it has not changed much. 

Thank you all for the good words. We all try to help them relax and tell all will be fine. But different in person versus 4000 miles away

Timeline

There is absolutely no point in watching videos, especially if they are in Russian. Russian and Ukrainian procedures differ greatly and what may be expected in Moscow will hardly be applicable in Kiev. Secondly, the medical office and the Embassy both follow their policies which are very straightforward. There is a complete list of conditions which make a person ineligible for immigration and during the medical they will not deviate from it. The only sound advice for your fiance may be to stop watching those videos and to fix all health issues while still here, like dental, vision, vaccinations and whatever she may need. At best, upon arrival and marriage she will be out of coverage for several months. This is something that makes me uncomfortable though in NYC all legal immigrants are entitled to a city insurance plan free of charge for minors and at a very small fee for adults. Not a big deal but yet better than nothing. 

34 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

There is absolutely no point in watching videos, especially if they are in Russian. Russian and Ukrainian procedures differ greatly and what may be expected in Moscow will hardly be applicable in Kiev. Secondly, the medical office and the Embassy both follow their policies which are very straightforward. There is a complete list of conditions which make a person ineligible for immigration and during the medical they will not deviate from it. The only sound advice for your fiance may be to stop watching those videos and to fix all health issues while still here, like dental, vision, vaccinations and whatever she may need. At best, upon arrival and marriage she will be out of coverage for several months. This is something that makes me uncomfortable though in NYC all legal immigrants are entitled to a city insurance plan free of charge for minors and at a very small fee for adults. Not a big deal but yet better than nothing. 

You don’t know what you are talking about. What is expected in Moscow will be exactly also expected in Kiev. The medicals for the immigration purposes are all the same. You contradict yourself. Exactly, the medical centers follow the same procedure.

Also, how is watching videos in Russian is any different than reading your experience here in English? It’s just the same. Unofficial advice. 

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

You don’t know what you are talking about. What is expected in Moscow will be exactly also expected in Kiev. The medicals for the immigration purposes are all the same. You contradict yourself. Exactly, the medical centers follow the same procedure.

Also, how is watching videos in Russian is any different than reading your experience here in English? It’s just the same. Unofficial advice. 

Well, I think I do. Being interested in how a medical in Kiev is performed I googled devotedly and found out that apart from different working hours and service options, one medical office had a larger number of referrals to a second x-ray (and possibly sputum test too) than another. Just by logic, there should be no significant health statistics behind that, more likely equipment and/or staff issues, so following the same formal policy may result in a quite different outcome. Also, if all medicals were all the same (and they are not, note the period when undergoing the medical question discussed recently - just an example of different procedures/requirements), where would those negative reviews come from? And finally, overall appearance of the office and attitude of staff at Medikom is very reassuring for those nervous applicants, it is very difficult to imagine someone could leave with a negative experience. Which makes me think those videos refer to experience from elsewhere. 

Edited by HP+IC

8 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

Well, I think I do. Being interested in how a medical in Kiev is performed I googled devotedly and found out that apart from different working hours and service options, one medical office had a larger number of referrals to a second x-ray (and possibly sputum test too) than another. Just by logic, there should be no significant health statistics behind that, more likely equipment and/or staff issues, so following the same formal policy may result in a quite different outcome. Also, if all medicals were all the same (and they are not, note the period when undergoing the medical question discussed recently - just an example of different procedures/requirements), where would those negative reviews come from? And finally, overall appearance of the office and attitude of staff at Medikom is very reassuring for those nervous applicants, it is very difficult to imagine someone could leave with a negative experience. Which makes me think those videos refer to experience from elsewhere. 

Again, your own assumptions. They would not send anyone for spetum if there was no significant need for that. There is no such a thing as official statistics on this matter. All the medical centers follow the same procedure. 

If someone is destined to have a negative experience because they have health issues that prevent them from being issued the visa, they will be disappointed even in Medikom.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

Again, your own assumptions. They would not send anyone for spetum if there was no significant need for that. There is no such a thing as official statistics on this matter. All the medical centers follow the same procedure. 

If someone is destined to have a negative experience because they have health issues that prevent them from being issued the visa, they will be disappointed even in Medikom.

It is true, but the assumption is not my, it is OP's. Your conclusions must be quite reassuring to the OP's SO.

Timeline

Guys it's ok. She watched the videos because it was easier for her to understand language wise. It is no be deal. I was just wanting to reassure her. I appreciate the responses but to agree is not needed or what I wanted . I just was curious that's all I wanted to reassure her it is not an issue. Medical is not an issue. She is completely healthy. She had questions I wanted to answer. She search for a answer in a language easy for her to understand. I didn't want this to turn into a pissing match , just wanted info on experience in Kyiv that's all

Edited by DonnieOlena
Added

my fiancee just had her medical last week, and judging by her lack of concern, it appeared to be no big deal, she said it was very simple and easy, and she had absolutely no problems.

You would understand if you knew her, but she has been anxious about everything and very worried about the whole process, and for her to have this lack of reaction says volumes

I hope this gives you and your fiancee some solace and comfort to ease her concerns. Good Luck!

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.