Ksenia_O

Coast Guard enrollment

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi, guys.

My son is trying to join  the Coast Guard and currently going through background check .  Seems like they are very selective and so on. 

Does anybody  have this experience - to get enrolled in to the Coast Guard with a 10-years green card? How long did it take to get background check done? 

Thanks a lot for your inputs!

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Hi, guys.

My son is trying to join  the Coast Guard and currently going through background check .  Seems like they are very selective and so on. 

Does anybody  have this experience - to get enrolled in to the Coast Guard with a 10-years green card? How long did it take to get background check done? 

Thanks a lot for your inputs!

Really van vary, depend what they look for exactly as to a GC holder.

As an Army veteran, I know the Coast Guard is very selective of who they pick so. They didn't even call me back when I tried to join prior joining the Army so :rofl:, at this point really just have to wait and let them do their checks and wait for them to respond.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Really van vary, depend what they look for exactly as to a GC holder.

As an Army veteran, I know the Coast Guard is very selective of who they pick so. They didn't even call me back when I tried to join prior joining the Army so :rofl:, at this point really just have to wait and let them do their checks and wait for them to respond.

Wow.... So, they didn't even let you know Why...  Well, i guess, yes, just got to wait it out.

thanks for sharing your experience  - really appreciate it !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Wow.... So, they didn't even let you know Why...  Well, i guess, yes, just got to wait it out.

thanks for sharing your experience  - really appreciate it !

There is no time line really for back ground checks. Even for US citizens joining any branch of the military, some get in quickly, like apply and within month or two are off for basic... others can wait 5-6 months.. every case is different. So if it's taking some time it isn't necessarily anything to worry about, just might be one of the ones that takes longer to process.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

There is no time line really for back ground checks. Even for US citizens joining any branch of the military, some get in quickly, like apply and within month or two are off for basic... others can wait 5-6 months.. every case is different. So if it's taking some time it isn't necessarily anything to worry about, just might be one of the ones that takes longer to process.

I was just trying to get an idea. "Mama's" thing :)

I have thought  , that  if CG operates under the US DHS, it should not take very long for a green card holder - we are All already 'there', in the system. But I've probably been mistaken since have no idea how any background check gets ran.

Every case is different - you are right and it takes what it takes....   Well, sounds almost like with USCIS ; )

Thanks again!

18 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

I was just trying to get an idea. "Mama's" thing :)

I have thought  , that  if CG operates under the US DHS, it should not take very long for a green card holder - we are All already 'there', in the system. But I've probably been mistaken since have no idea how any background check gets ran.

Every case is different - you are right and it takes what it takes....   Well, sounds almost like with USCIS ; )

Thanks again!

Yeah it sucks because some branches like the Air Force and the CG take their time because they have the ability to be more selective in regards to people wanting to join. While the Army and the Marines don't have that option because they need the bodies. 

I can tell you from personal experience when I inquired about going to the Navy after leaving the Marines they were like "ummmmmm no"

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah it sucks because some branches like the Air Force and the CG take their time because they have the ability to be more selective in regards to people wanting to join. While the Army and the Marines don't have that option because they need the bodies. 

I can tell you from personal experience when I inquired about going to the Navy after leaving the Marines they were like "ummmmmm no"

a NO after leaving Marines.... Unbelievable :( I'm so sorry you've experienced that.

Well... I guess we should start getting ready for bad news as well. Just in case. Which will suck, if it's so -  he is so excited and has a big hope to be able to join.

Edited by Ksenia_O

33 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

a NO after leaving Marines.... Unbelievable :( I'm so sorry you've experienced that.

Well... I guess we should start getting ready for bad news as well. Just in case. Which will suck, if it's so -  he is so excited and has a big hope to be able to join.

Well this is because us Marines are always looked down on by the other services as being little eccentric or crazy. So I know the Air Force requires former Marines to have a break of at least 6 months before we can join the Air Force, while the Army doesn't care and will take us in with a increase of rank. 

How long has it been since your son filled out the paperwork for the CG?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Well this is because us Marines are always looked down on by the other services as being little eccentric or crazy. So I know the Air Force requires former Marines to have a break of at least 6 months before we can join the Air Force, while the Army doesn't care and will take us in with a increase of rank. 

How long has it been since your son filled out the paperwork for the CG?

Ah, I see .Thank you for explanation. 

Well, he was trying to get in about a year ago, but was told he would need a 10 years green card.  Now he has it.  So, he  signed the papers on Monday 18.  I understand there is no reason to worry, yet - the process has just started. 

I just wanted to know how  others experience was with that, since there are many LPRs here, on VJ, who joined the Military - my son was told by the recruiter  the background check can take from 2 weeks to "it-takes-what-it-takes" . And that usually it's  longer  with green card holders. 

And, of course, we have Google .  From what I've read - some people have been waiting for 15  months. Some - got cleared really quick. Some got enrolled even with their background check still pending...  who knows.

I, probably, should stop reading :) and just let it go, praying for the best for my son.

Also, we have my parents - they don't visit us every year (got "stuck" between 3 countries - USA, Ukraine and UK since my sis moved there).

But once they learnt their only grandson is in process of enrollment, they already try to plan their visit by the time of his graduation from a boot-camp, LOL!  I know - any planning during the process IS a poor planning. But they are grandparents.

Anyway.. Thanks for sharing your experience - much appreciated!

Please, fingers crossed his background check will clear him within a reasonable time and he will get enrolled! 

• 1 year later...
Timeline

It's been a long time since I started this thread..

Soooooo,...  since we've never had any news from CG, in November, 2019 my son decided to go and see  NAVY recruiter. Result -  he sighed a contract and swore today! I'm officially a proud mom of US NAVY guy!!!! 

They even accepted education he earned in Ukraine (it was evaluated in US credits) , so he is getting in as E3, with a job he wanted - aviation structure mechanic.

.. just wanted to share this great news with everyone! thank you all!

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

He will be a valuable asset to the Navy and to our country.  Congratulations!

We need more posts like this. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
12 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

He will be a valuable asset to the Navy and to our country.  Congratulations!

We need more posts like this. :) 

Thank YOU!!!!

Timeline

Ok, now I have another question :)

Son's day to leave is April 30. It may be changed a little bit, due to COVID-19, but anyway - it's coming :)

In June of this year he will be eligible to apply for citizenship. So, can submit his N-400 once he gets off the bootcamp. Or even if he is still in.  And looks like if you apply from Military, then your application fee is waived, right?  

So, from what I have read -  seems like you have to be in Military up to 180 days before applying. Unless I misunderstood something... And have to get some Form , to attach to your N-400 application . But he is eligible anyway, regardless of being in Armed Forces or not... 

Does anybody know how it works in case like that?.... Will his N-400 fee still be waived? Just trying to figure out things before he leaves.

Hope all of you are safe and thanks a lot for your help - will appreciate any inputs.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I would post your questions of above in the Military Discussion forum here.  You should get definitive answers.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
8 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

I would post your questions of above in the Military Discussion forum here.  You should get definitive answers.

Make sense.. I will. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.