fruchick

TN requirements vs. reality?

12 posts in this topic

Timeline

I'm Canadian, and have been through 2 rounds of interviews for a technical writer position for one of the big 4 Silicon Valley companies. HR wanted to consult their "immigration team" before the next round. TN Technical Writer requirements are a related 2-year diploma + 3 yrs experience. I provided a transcript of my journalism diploma and evidence of more than the required 3 years of technical writing experience (I have 6 that's clearly technical, and could argue more). 

A week and a half later, HR gets back to me saying they won't approve me going further in the process, because they don't think I'd qualify for the TN. HR guys says "the current administration" is being more strict. But that doesn't explain how meeting the current requirements suddenly isn't enough. I recently had a colleague get hired on a TN with less than what I have.

What's the reality of the TN requirements right now? Should I not waste my time applying to U.S. companies anymore, or is this a case of lawyers being way overly cautious? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

To be honest it sounds an excuse and they just do not want to do it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I agree with Boiler above. 

If you're qualified and the documents to prove it, you should be able to get a TN visa; plenty others do. Perhaps a different lawyer? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

I too agree with boiler, but I was also under the impression TN jobs usually require at least a 3-year bachelor’s degree? An admittedly very quick and superficial google search also has a few sites saying a bachelors is required for TN technical writer. If that’s not right, again, it sounds like a weak excuse from the company and you should look elsewhere. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Thanks all, that's actually reassuring -- I'm going to continue looking at U.S. positions. 

Strange thing was, this company reached out recruit *me*, and was very happy with my first two rounds of interviews. The next step was just a homework assignment, so they wouldn't have been investing any extra time on their end. They have literally hundreds of H1Bs and TNs working in their Silicon Valley office right now, and have no shortage of money, so I can eliminate the excuse of laziness/cost/hating me.

I'm pushing back on HR to see if they'll take another look, because part of me wonders if someone there thought the open role falls under "graphic design" (it doesn't, but could be interpreted that way). 

I was also under the impression TN jobs usually require at least a 3-year bachelor’s degree? An admittedly very quick and superficial google search also has a few sites saying a bachelors is required for TN technical writer. 

Straight from Appendix 1603.D.1: 

Technical Publications Writer--Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree, or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post-Secondary Certificate, and three years experience.

Timeline

I would not focus to much on exactly what HR say, who knows what has happened behind the scene and a TN is much different to a H1b, does not really involve the Company with much effort.

The only thing that matters is that they do not want to go further.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I would not focus to much on exactly what HR say,

It's entirely fair of me to ask HR for more details. It's of no benefit to me to continue applying to U.S.-based jobs if there's some valid reason I'd be denied a TN in the future via a different company. 

who knows what has happened behind the scene and a TN is much different to a H1b, does not really involve the Company with much effort

I'm not sure what you mean -- are you implying that HR is lying to me, changed their mind for another reason, and is using the visa as an excuse? That's a stretch. There are much easier ways to ditch an applicant. 

Timeline

I am not sure how many job interviews you have attended, can you ask absolutely will they respond, well another issue.

1 hour ago, fruchick said:

Strange thing was, this company reached out recruit *me*, and was very happy with my first two rounds of interviews. The next step was just a homework assignment, so they wouldn't have been investing any extra time on their end

But there are other things that could happen, such as a stronger candidate emerged at the last minute, they decided to promote someone from inside, the CEO's niece really wants the job, .... who knows. And for whatever reason, they don't want to tell you any of that, and just used immigration as an excuse. The reality is, these things happen, and it's nothing personal. You just move on to a different company, a different interview. It's just business. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you really want to move to the US and work on a TN visa, then keep looking and trying, maybe you will find a company willing to hire you.  If not, stay in Canada, it's a pretty awesome country as well.  I've lived half of my life in Canada and the other half in the US, and they both have their advantages/disadvantages.  And I agree with others' comments, the hiring process is not transparent for applicants unfortunately, you will never know the full story behind why they didn't hire you.  It sounds like you qualify for a TN, you just need to find a US company that wants to hire you in order to make it happen.  I live near Silicon Valley and there are tons of jobs here and a shortage of qualified applicants.  Be patient and you will eventually find something.  Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.