Kimo1618

How is K-1 Visa extended after I-485 submitted?

7 posts in this topic

Once the I-485 with I864 submitted, how is the petitioner or sponsor notified that the K-1 visa is extended? I've searched everywhere including my Nolo Press "Green Card" book but can't find the answer. 

I will overnight mail the I-485 etc. tomorrow for my wife who entered on a K-1, finance visa. This visa expires March 21 (less than 3 weeks). 

How is it extended? What am I missing?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

It's not. In fact it's already not valid anymore since it is a single entry visa. I-485 applicant enters what is called "period of authorized stay" until his case is adjudicated and he / she becomes a permanent resident.

4 minutes ago, Kimo1618 said:

Once the I-485 with I864 submitted, how is the petitioner or sponsor notified that the K-1 visa is extended? I've searched everywhere including my Nolo Press "Green Card" book but can't find the answer. 

I will overnight mail the I-485 etc. tomorrow for my wife who entered on a K-1, finance visa. This visa expires March 21 (less than 3 weeks). 

Thanks

K1 visa "expired" the moment your fiance crossed the border.

Filling AOS just put her in que for green card (and EAD or AP) and gives her legal status while she waits.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Kimo1618 said:

Thanks

You mean her k-1 status as granted on arrival and indicated on the I-94 

YMMV

Thanks for the fast replies. Not to beat this to death but, once the I-485 is submitted, there is nothing more for me to do until I receive a notice for the interview. I assume I will receive a I-727C notice that the I-485 application has been received and she is in the country legitimately until the interview and acceptance? 

2 minutes ago, Kimo1618 said:

Thanks for the fast replies. Not to beat this to death but, once the I-485 is submitted, there is nothing more for me to do until I receive a notice for the interview. I assume I will receive a I-727C notice that the I-485 application has been received and she is in the country legitimately until the interview and acceptance? 

They will issue you a receipt notice, yes. It wont state anything about her status though. You CAN use that receipt notice as proof of her pending AOS application (and she should carry a copy with her passport). 

Just know that because she entered the US legally on her K1 and satisfied the requirement of the K1 (marrying within 90 days), she is in the US legitimately. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.