Seanandrach

Travel after K-1 approved but not using it..

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Basically, my Dad passed last year and in his Will, it included a set amount of fights for me to see my man in USA over 2 years. I have 3 flights left and a year to use them plus the small print is that I should book 3 months in advance. We've just sent off the RFE paperwork for the K-1. 

My question is.. Once the k1 visa is approved, if I book a flight to US, do you have to enter on the k1 or can you use the visitor visa? I want to use these flights up before they expire next March. They are specific to Boston or NY too.

Thanks for your help

K1 Visa             

Sent - 26th Aug 2018

NOA1 -  6th Sept 2018

NOA2 -  23rd Feb 2019

NVC sent to embassy - 2nd April 2019

Medical - 21st May 2019

Interview - 31st May 2019

Approved! 

K-1 in hand - 10th June 2019

POE - 4th July 2019

Your tourist Visa will be canceled once k1 is issued. 

Edit before someone chip in: they cancel b2 visas in like 99% of time. Even if they wouldn't, immigration would probably not allow you to enter as tourist when you have valid immigrant visa. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Welcome to the board.

Unfortunately, the K1 trumps the B2 and the next time you enter the USA it will likely be using the K1. Usually, B2s are cancelled after the approval of a K1 because you now have immigrant intent.

We have heard of Canadians getting by with a quick visit to the US via land border crossings. But the two international flights back and forth to the US is very very unlikely to happen.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Thank you for clarifying. Such a shame to waste the flights but I can see it from their point.. You've gone through the whole process and now you're here, why do you just want to visit for a week and go back? 

One more question then(sorry) so you schedule the medical and interview or do they send you dates? And can they be rescheduled?

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! 

K1 Visa             

Sent - 26th Aug 2018

NOA1 -  6th Sept 2018

NOA2 -  23rd Feb 2019

Medical - 21st May 2019

Approved! 

POE - 4th July 2019

14 minutes ago, Seanandrach said:

Thank you for clarifying. Such a shame to waste the flights but I can see it from their point.. You've gone through the whole process and now you're here, why do you just want to visit for a week and go back? 

An option was to use up those flights before the K1. It is all about how a person plan things. Those wasted flights are out of the hands of immigration.

One more question then(sorry) so you schedule the medical and interview or do they send you dates? And can they be rescheduled?

Thankyouthankyouthankyou

You schedule the medical and interview. You will see a calendar of available dates. Some countries have a long queue so best to keep looking for the best available slot and not to hesitate to take it. You can reschedule also, however,  the dates you may want to change to may not be available.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Looking at your timeline. You may get NOA2 soon, then another couple of months for your K-1 Visa, so one ticket will be for your trip to US under K-1.

then by winter you should have status so you can leave and visit the UK again for Christmas maybe??

Timeline

Thank you all so much for your advice. I had one last option and my step mum agreed to use the average of my previous flights and give me that x3 to save stress. Great outcome, I can barely believe she agreed to it and I now know once the k1 is approved, that's that! 

K1 Visa             

Sent - 26th Aug 2018

NOA1 -  6th Sept 2018

NOA2 -  23rd Feb 2019

Medical - 21st May 2019

Approved! 

POE - 4th July 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.