myjourney2018

Birth Certificate Help

10 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello all,

if someone can kindly advice, it would be greatly appreciated.  

My fiance went for her k1 interview in Stockholm, everything went well except they request her birth certificate.  She was issued a 221(g) approval pending birth certificate or secondary evidence.  The issue with this request is, my fiance immigrated to Sweden at a young age with a relative.  She never had a birth certificate from Vietnam.  How do we go about getting one? Can she re-register for her birth certificate with the help of a relative that’s still in vn?  Anyone else in the community had this issue? 

Thanks in advance 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I remembered this from a while back - 

It details what to do if there is no Swedish birth certificate. 

Edited by fip & jim

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
58 minutes ago, myjourney2018 said:

My fiance went for her k1 interview in Stockholm, everything went well except they request her birth certificate.  She was issued a 221(g) approval pending birth certificate or secondary evidence.  The issue with this request is, my fiance immigrated to Sweden at a young age with a relative.  She never had a birth certificate from Vietnam.  How do we go about getting one? Can she re-register for her birth certificate with the help of a relative that’s still in vn?  Anyone else in the community had this issue?

If your fiancee immigrated to Sweden as a child, does she not have an extract of the population register ("Personbevis")?  Or did she submit that and still got the 221(g)?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Sweden.html

Edited by Ate
added link

Timeline
31 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

I remembered this from a while back - 

It details what to do if there is no Swedish birth certificate. 

9 minutes ago, Ate said:

If your fiancee immigrated to Sweden as a child, does she not have an extract of the population register ("Personbevis")?  Or did she submit that and still got the 221(g)?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Sweden.html

Thanks for replying, we were aware about personbevis, we actually got the long form, personbevis 120 to be exact, the CO at the interview wanted to see the birth certificate.  To be more precise, my fiancé told the CO she would not be able to obtain a BC and the CO told her to try to get one/something so it shows she tried.  Fiancé went as far as asking what if she can’t obtain any information and the CO said then we will figure out something from there.  For whatever reason, they still kept her passport and she still got the 221.

Edited by myjourney2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 hour ago, myjourney2018 said:

Hello all,

if someone can kindly advice, it would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance 

If she's from Vietnam she should get her BC from there, it seems right that the IO couldn't accept the other document she provided since she's not born in Sweden. Maybe try to get a letter from the Vietnamese government stating there's no BC? (if there's actually non over there) 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, C90 said:

If she's from Vietnam she should get her BC from there, it seems right that the IO couldn't accept the other document she provided since she's not born in Sweden. Maybe try to get a letter from the Vietnamese government stating there's no BC? (if there's actually non over there) 

We are definitely exploring this route, finding someone to go ask on our behalf and see if some sort of official documents can be produced stating there is none.  

1 hour ago, myjourney2018 said:

We are definitely exploring this route, finding someone to go ask on our behalf and see if some sort of official documents can be produced stating there is none.  

When was she born and where in Vietnam? It’s actually fairly easy to obtain a birth certificate in Vietnam especially if she was born in one of the big cities like Ho Chi Minh City or Ha Noi. You need to go to The People's Committee (Uỷ Ban Nhân Dân) of the disctric where she was born. They should be able to issue an extract of the birth certificate, which is acceptable for use as original and accepted by the US Consulate (at least the one in Vietnam). My mom lost her birth certificate (she was born in 1953) and I was shocked of how easy it was for her to get it. It just took a couple days. They can even issue it in English for an extra fee, along with the Vietnamese  version.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

When was she born and where in Vietnam? It’s actually fairly easy to obtain a birth certificate in Vietnam especially if she was born in one of the big cities like Ho Chi Minh City or Ha Noi. You need to go to The People's Committee (Uỷ Ban Nhân Dân) of the disctric where she was born. They should be able to issue an extract of the birth certificate, which is acceptable for use as original and accepted by the US Consulate (at least the one in Vietnam). My mom lost her birth certificate (she was born in 1953) and I was shocked of how easy it was for her to get it. It just took a couple days. They can even issue it in English for an extra fee, along with the Vietnamese  version.

thanks fiance was born in Minh Hai in 85.  I was looking into "The People's Committee" and "So Tu Phap", are they two different places?  

Here is the procedure, hopefully still valid: https://www.wikiprocedure.com/index.php/Vietnam_-_Obtain_a_Birth_Certificate

There are some addresses and phone numbers there. Maybe a good place to start.

You probably need someone who speak Vietnamese to make calls though. I doubt they speak English there

Edited by USS_Voyager

Timeline
2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Thanks I also found those procedures, will be getting in contact with a relative today, hopefully they will be able to assist.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.