LarryHickman

Puerto Rico a problem?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Hi guys and gals, has anyone here had any issues flying to Puerto Rico after POE to the mainland USA on a one entry K1 visa? We want to go before our green card issue.  I have read it a risk and no guarantee customs has to allow reentry from a common wealth while others have said it should be ok, I need facts so only first hand experience or US customs facts please, thanks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Working and Traveling form K1 P&P - The OP is asking about traveling to Puerto Rico after entry on a K1~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You will not go through customs going to PR or coming from PR to the mainland. It is considered a domestic flight just like flying from Dallas to Chicago, no customs involved. The only risk I can think of is if your flight gets diverted and has to land in another country or territory, chances of that happening are slim but something to consider. 

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Ate said:

This might help:

Thanks, I read this and have read across the internet and the thing I find is nobody who actually went to PR on a K1 and back and no direct answers from CBP...yeah a little worried.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 hours ago, LarryHickman said:

Thanks, I read this and have read across the internet and the thing I find is nobody who actually went to PR on a K1 and back and no direct answers from CBP...yeah a little worried.

Eliminate the stress and dont go to PR and chose somewhere else. As I mentioned, flights to PR from and to the mainland are domestic flights. My wife and took a cruise out of PR last May and the only time she showed her green card was getting off and on the ship, because the cruise went to other countries. 

You don't go through customs at either airport. CBP should be able to answer that question, not sure who you are asking there. 

Timeline
On 2/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, ch3john said:

Eliminate the stress and dont go to PR and chose somewhere else.

Yes that’s what we are doing, all answers which I appreciate are not firm although I agree with them...I think it should be ok too but my luck I’ll get the CBP officer that got up on the wrong side of bed and doesn’t know the PR isn’t a problem....I haven’t even had CBP reply back yet and I’m not going to chance this with my fiancé. Hell we will just wait on the green card by years end then visit out of the country, thanks.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:15 PM, LarryHickman said:

or US customs facts please, thanks 

Straight from CBP: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/980/~/needing-a-passport-to-enter-the-united-states-from-u.s.-territories

Also from USCIS: https://www.uscis.gov/archive/blog/2014/05/five-questions-about-advance-parole_9

Do I need advance parole if I am flying from the continental United States to Puerto Rico? What about Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, or the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands?

No, advance parole would not be needed if you travel directly between parts of the United States, which includes Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), without entering a foreign port or place.

Very clear. No problem if it's a direct flight between US soil.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.