Ab28

F-1 in Long AP; Options? [split topic]

30 posts in this topic

US visa policy is random. In my case, I have been a graduate student at Ohio State University  for the past 7 years.Out of these 7 years, I was Fulbright Fellow ( J-1 visa holder) for 5 years. Since I couldn’t complete my PhD degree in those 5 years, thanks to health issues, so I was told by my sponsor, Fulbright, to go back to my home country, complete the remaining research from there, and come back to US once my dissertation defense was ready. I was ready for my thesis defense in Autumn 2018, so I applied for US visa ( F-1) in June 2018. It’s been 8 months since I have been waiting for the approval of my US visa. It is still in administrative processing. I never overstayed in US, and was never out of status.

Perhaps it feels random to you, no idea why you are on AP so long & hopefully it gets sorted out soon, but the person nenanena was asking had gone out of status before which explains the denials.

43 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Perhaps it feels random to you, no idea why you are on AP so long & hopefully it gets sorted out soon, but the person nenanena was asking had gone out of status before which explains the denials.

I have described my case in detail here.

Do you see any wrong-doing in my case? I am so depressed that I have once again started taking anti-depressants. I can’t study in any other country too as I have already invested 7 long years into my PhD( Electrical Engineering) studies. It has sapped my energies.

Not an expert but many Pakistanis these days face long AP, and the fact that you’re applying on a private passport doesn’t change your job. I’m assuming you are being subjected to extensive background checks, especially if your degree is TAL related. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Could you defend a dissertation on a B?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

28 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Not an expert but many Pakistanis these days face long AP, and the fact that you’re applying on a private passport doesn’t change your job. I’m assuming you are being subjected to extensive background checks, especially if your degree is TAL related. 

I never hid my job. I always maintained that I had been working in the same federal govt department since March 2004. I was granted visa twice ( first in 2011 and then in 2014) with the same job. I don’t work on weapons. My work is related to satellite communication. I have checked TAL and my degree ( PhD electrical engineering, thesis topic: Antennas) doesn’t fall into any secret technology.

25 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Could you defend a dissertation on a B?

Yes, I can. But the reason I applied for F-1 was that TA or RA position can only be secured if you are on F-1 visa. It is to be noted that one needs to be enrolled for , at least, 3-credit hours for the semester in which one plans to do dissertation defense. I secured TA position for Autumn 2018. So, applied for F-1 visa. 

Now, after waiting for so long for F-1 visa, I was thinking to apply for B2 visa. But, then I stopped because this again will go into administrative processing. On top of that, this will be considered a desperate attempt from my side to get into US as it will be my third visa application. So, I am reluctant to apply on B2 before my F-1 case is adjudicated.

10 hours ago, Ab28 said:

I have described my case in detail here.

Do you see any wrong-doing in my case? I am so depressed that I have once again started taking anti-depressants. I can’t study in any other country too as I have already invested 7 long years into my PhD( Electrical Engineering) studies. It has sapped my energies.

Was it you in another forum who mentioned $20,000 in US credit card debts that have not been paid?  Or am I confusing you with someone else with very similar circumstances? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

8 hours ago, Ab28 said:

I never hid my job. I always maintained that I had been working in the same federal govt department since March 2004. I was granted visa twice ( first in 2011 and then in 2014) with the same job. I don’t work on weapons. My work is related to satellite communication. I have checked TAL and my degree ( PhD electrical engineering, thesis topic: Antennas) doesn’t fall into any secret technology.

I didn’t say you hid your job. But you said something about changing the application to a different passport. Clearly you expected that would help, I’m suggesting that it's the fact that you work for the government and not the passport you use that’s an issue.

i understand it’s frustrating when your situation don’t seem to have changed yet this happens, however the external environment in which you are applying has clearly changed. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The foregoing posts were split from an inactive thread.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

2 hours ago, databit said:

Do you owe any money to the US for any healthcare you may have received while here?

The post in another forum I was referring to had this quote: 

"I have a very good government job in Pakistan and none of my family members or immediate relatives lives in US. So, I have strong ties with my home country. Having said this, I have one blemish in my case which I am not sure will effect my case. I had accumulated about $20K loan from 5 different credit cards during my stay in the US. However, none of this involves a federal loan and, as of today, no criminal or bankruptcy proceeding has started against me. I don't know if paying my loan from abroad will improve my visa chances or it will be considered as desperate attempt on my side to enter into the US. Visa or no visa I will pay my debt. That's a moral and legal obligation on me.Currently, I plan to pay the loan in lump-sum once I reaches the US."

The individual in that post is a pakistan govt employee on a Fulbright scholarship, and other similarities to the OP. 

I-751 journey

And almost identical wording to OP’s other post.

regatdless, I don’t think that’s why he’s on AP. I don’t know how precisely they look at the specifics on the TAL list, but while OP’s thesis topic is obviously in one specific area, the broader field is of TAL interest and I still wonder about that angle. Relations between the 2 countries are, in my limited understanding, significantly more strained than when OP began his/her PhD.

29 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

And almost identical wording to OP’s other post.

regatdless, I don’t think that’s why he’s on AP. I don’t know how precisely they look at the specifics on the TAL list, but while OP’s thesis topic is obviously in one specific area, the broader field is of TAL interest and I still wonder about that angle. Relations between the 2 countries are, in my limited understanding, significantly more strained than when OP began his/her PhD.

Assuming OP left the US in 2016, and racked up those credit card bills without paying, his US credit would have been shot. I wonder if a significant accumulation of debt comes up during background checks, since OP's would be extensive owing to TAL. But the other forum post shows OPs concern about this debt potentially affecting his visa, assuming the other poster is in fact OP. He has so far opted not to address whether or not it is he who posted elsewhere. 

Of course the deteriorated relations between the US and OP's country could also be playing a part behind the AP. From what I've seen online, the US has restricted travel by pakistan diplomats in the US to a certain radius of the embassy. 

I-751 journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.