aliwaqas707

Transfering Money to US

5 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello

I am from Pakistan and I received my F1 visa on 9th Feb 2019. My interview was on 4th Feb 2019. Now i am preparing to travel to US. i want to know how much dollars i can carry in cash form and how to transfer from Pakistan to US account or is there any other way like traveler claque etc.

Please let me know asap if anyone knows.

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, aliwaqas707 said:

Hello

I am from Pakistan and I received my F1 visa on 9th Feb 2019. My interview was on 4th Feb 2019. Now i am preparing to travel to US. i want to know how much dollars i can carry in cash form and how to transfer from Pakistan to US account or is there any other way like traveler claque etc.

Thanks

I don't think there is a legal limit but if its over 10,000 you MUST declare or else you can get into a lot of trouble.   When I come back from Pak I have to transfer the rupees at my bank (the kiosk in the airport will not help).   

I never used traveler checks perhaps someone else here can help if you transfer from bank account to bank account maybe the safest option but I'm not sure the fees and how easy it is to do I would check the USA bank first.

12 minutes ago, aliwaqas707 said:

Hello

Thanks

As far as I know, there is no limit. But if you carry more than $10,000, you have to declare it with US Customs. But why carry cash? You can come with just some spending money, then open an account, and wire the money from Pakistan. Unless, Pakistan doesn't allow that, which would be weird. In my country, the government allows international wire transfer if you can prove what purpose you're doing it. In the case of an F-1 visa, all you need to show them is the amount of money on the I-20 and you will be allowed to wire that much. Not sure what it is in Pakistan. 

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-and-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have more than $10,000 in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790).

Please be aware, if persons/family members traveling together have more than $10,000, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency.

For example, if one person is carrying $5,000 and the other has $6,000, they have a total of $11, 000 in their possession and must report it on a FinCEN 105. If a person or family fails to declare their monetary instruments in amounts more than $10,000 their monetary instrument(s) may be subject to forfeiture and could result in civil and or criminal penalties.

The FinCEN 105 can be obtained prior to traveling or when going through CBP. If assistance is required, a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer can help with filling out the form.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
40 minutes ago, aliwaqas707 said:

Hello

Thanks

I used the app Transferwise to transfer money from my Dutch account to my US account. Not sure if they service Pakistan, but you could look that up. I wouldn't travel with too much cash. If you have a Pakistan credit card or international debit card you can use those here too (check if your bank charges any fees for using those here)

Edited by C90

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Ask your bank what options it has for electronically sending money to a USA bank account. 

Your bank might let you log in from the USA and initiate a electronic or wire transfer. The former might be limit to specific USA banks and the amounts you can send per day might be limited.  

But it of course when dealing with developing countries there is often a gap between reality and theory when it comes to financial transactions.  So after getting assurances that you can electronically move money or at least get money moved after a phone call to your bank, I agree that you should carry a wad of money. As others have said, you  need to declare it to the USA if over $10,000 USD. That includes cash and bearer instruments like traverlers checks, personal checks, foreign currency, bank drafts, etc.  

Also, each country has rules about declaring money being brought out of the country.  Read up on Pakistan’s rules.  

Finally if you are transiting in one or more third countries, there are often rules about declaring money even if you are not passing through immigration and customs.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.