JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
10 minutes ago, walwalwal said:

Finally! What a nightmare! 11 weeks later... don't give up guys! Let's see when the H1B suspension is revoked. Good luck ya'll

2020-04-07 (1).png

Congrats! I’m in my 12th weeks of waiting on an update.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

When do you receive letter from DoS, is it in the same envelope (self addressed) that we sent along with application? I haven’t received DoS letter yet and it has been 12 days after they made Favorable Rec in website, so I am worried about the address I wrote in those envelopes is correct or wrong. But I am quite sure that the address were correct. (i sent standard mail envelope). Please answer me since many of you received the letter before.

1 hour ago, Dev1971 said:

When do you receive letter from DoS, is it in the same envelope (self addressed) that we sent along with application? I haven’t received DoS letter yet and it has been 12 days after they made Favorable Rec in website, so I am worried about the address I wrote in those envelopes is correct or wrong. But I am quite sure that the address were correct. (i sent standard mail envelope). Please answer me since many of you received the letter before.

Yes, they send the recommendation letter in one of those self-addressed envelopes. Standard mail envelopes are fine. it is just a piece of paper.

2 hours ago, Dev1971 said:

Hey Dev1971,

Yesterday I finally got my receipt notice from USCIS. It was issued on April 1st, but the thing is my address was wrong: my street number is 2105 but they entered 2150 lol... I assume there's some manual data entry in relaying the info to USCIS. That fortunately caused an NSN and USPS managed to re-route it to my address.

I never got the DoS letter, don't think I ever will. I had tracking labels on both documents, but they have not been scanned to this day so doubt either was sent. I took pictures of the address I wrote on the envelopes and confirmed it was written correctly (and confirmed the same on DS3035). I assume they never sent me those envelopes, maybe the size or postage was wrong, not sure...

Rest assured though, that's not needed for the embassy interview/change of status: USCIS has final authority and their approval notice is all that's needed; friend of mine never got his DoS letter either. So, I recommend calling USCIS and asking for your case number; form number for waivers is I612. If they messed up your address you should be able to resolve with USCIS; if neither budges recommend you seek help at your representative's office.

Edited by waiver_throwaway

On 4/7/2020 at 4:33 AM, jessjess said:

@j1waiverornot I had a J1 visa from 2011 which I never knew I was subject to the home residency until I came to the AOS stage. It turned out I was on the home country skill list and the advisory opinion said I was subject as well. My J1 lawyer said it never becomes an issue until you are applying for adjustment of status. I'd say best to consult with a lawyer. And don't wait on advisory opinion. If you are on your home country's skill list, you're very likely subject to the residency. Best to submit the advisory opinion and apply for No Objection Statement with your home country at the same time. That way you don't lose time on waiting for advisory opinion.  

Hey, my J1 expired last May and right now I'm living in Germany (not my home country, also was where I got my J1), looking to apply for H1b later in the year. Is this considered adjustment of status? I think I'd just apply for the waiver without the advisory opinion.

1 hour ago, Matboyle said:

Almost 8 weeks past and I am still waiting for my case to be recieved. My embassy sent NOL a month ago but still there is no information on my number. 

8 weeks sounds way too long for the case to show up on the system. Are you sure you did everything right? Payment and the barcode file sent all together etc?

1 hour ago, j1waiverornot said:

Hey, my J1 expired last May and right now I'm living in Germany (not my home country, also was where I got my J1), looking to apply for H1b later in the year. Is this considered adjustment of status? I think I'd just apply for the waiver without the advisory opinion.

No it is not AOS.

5 hours ago, Matboyle said:

Yes everything was right. I don't know what's going on. Maybe i should email them.

Hi I need an expert comment on this. Someone told me that a scholar is eligible for J1 extension as long as s/he is not recommended for a waiver by DOS. Is it true? Does it mean that you can still apply for the J1 extension even after applying for the waiver but will not be eligible if you have get the recommendation from DOS. Thanks in advance for your reply.  

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline
On 4/8/2020 at 12:18 PM, waiver_throwaway said:

Hey Dev1971,

Yesterday I finally got my receipt notice from USCIS. It was issued on April 1st, but the thing is my address was wrong: my street number is 2105 but they entered 2150 lol... I assume there's some manual data entry in relaying the info to USCIS. That fortunately caused an NSN and USPS managed to re-route it to my address.

I never got the DoS letter, don't think I ever will. I had tracking labels on both documents, but they have not been scanned to this day so doubt either was sent. I took pictures of the address I wrote on the envelopes and confirmed it was written correctly (and confirmed the same on DS3035). I assume they never sent me those envelopes, maybe the size or postage was wrong, not sure...

Rest assured though, that's not needed for the embassy interview/change of status: USCIS has final authority and their approval notice is all that's needed; friend of mine never got his DoS letter either. So, I recommend calling USCIS and asking for your case number; form number for waivers is I612. If they messed up your address you should be able to resolve with USCIS; if neither budges recommend you seek help at your representative's office.

Hi 

Thank for your reply. It helped. Though till today I haven't received the DoS letter. But I have received USCIS notice letter on my mail today, notice date April 1 as well. It is a relief that USCIS has my correct address. Yes, you are right that USCIS is the final authority. So I will wait for the final approval from USCIS. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, abie said:

Hello Friends, 

I am wondering if anyone who has the following timeline or similar has received any update on their case. I know it could take longer in some cases, but wanted to see what people are experiencing in general. Thank you for your comments. 

image.png.f0f2f40ba1fbe1c1b24811ecfb1b9d31.png

All my stuff has been received on Jan 28. Still waiting..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.