JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I had applied for the J1 waiver under the "No Objection" category in January 2019. The DoS received all the necessary documentation (including the NOS from embassy) on Feb 4th 2019. The status has been "Pending" since then.

However, when I put in my case number today, I get a blank table. That is no table with the itemized updates anymore.

Is anyone of you facing this issue. I am not sure what is going on! 

J1website.png

23 minutes ago, crazyHermit said:

Hi Guys,

I had applied for the J1 waiver under the "No Objection" category in January 2019. The DoS received all the necessary documentation (including the NOS from embassy) on Feb 4th 2019. The status has been "Pending" since then.

However, when I put in my case number today, I get a blank table. That is no table with the itemized updates anymore.

Is anyone of you facing this issue. I am not sure what is going on! 

J1website.png

Hi,

Yes DOS J1status is not showing status table in my case as well. I believe this is some bug in their system due to some recent upgrade to the site. I hope this will be fixed soon.

No need to worry for such things. :)

17 hours ago, Dave242 said:

Congratulations! Do you have idea of how long it takes to get favorable recommendation letter from DoS? Also is the letter sufficient to do AOS of msrried to USC?

You can check 2018 timeline thread in this forum to get some idea on this timeline (time takes to receive DOS letter - I saw many people talking on this thing with suggestions there). None of us have reached to this level yet to suggest anything to you in this 2019 timeline. I hope this will help you.

HI guys, I have applied for advisory opinion and J1-waiver at the same time is it ok ? and I have the same case number for both of them can some one confirm if it is fine. 

It has been 3 weeks since I have applied for advisory opinion and status is not seen in the DOS website, I understand it takes almost a month to reflect. 

I might have a job offer so it is critical :-( and with govt shut down I see that the timelines have been doubled. is there a phone number that I can reach out to in DOS ? 

4 hours ago, crazyHermit said:

@JWaiver_2019  Thank you for reassuring words. The system seems to be online now and I can see my status.

Although nothing has changed.

J1website_17March2019.png

You are welcome! :)

2 hours ago, Srinath Narayanan said:

HI guys, I have applied for advisory opinion and J1-waiver at the same time is it ok ? and I have the same case number for both of them can some one confirm if it is fine. 

It has been 3 weeks since I have applied for advisory opinion and status is not seen in the DOS website, I understand it takes almost a month to reflect. 

I might have a job offer so it is critical 😞 and with govt shut down I see that the timelines have been doubled. is there a phone number that I can reach out to in DOS ? 

I will suggest you to wait for minimum DOS recommended time that is 30 days (these days 5-6 weeks) from date of submission of NOS by the Embassy. Then you can start sending your question to 212ewaiver@state.gov for delays beyond suggested timeline.

I am not sure if applying for both may delay the process but in my opinion you should have applied for J1 waiver only since there was no need for advisory opinion if you had already decided to go for J1 waiver.

Same case number is fine.

58 minutes ago, Srinath Narayanan said:

Thank you for the reply. The reason I applied for both advisory as well as waiver is that the DOS  website said it will take 10 to 12 weeks for waiver and I can’t wait if the DOS says that I got govt funding. I didn’t get any funding from govt but they have put me under 2 year rule. 

Specialized knowledge or skill (check your country specific list) could be one of the reason if govt funding or medical training was not involved, but you know your situation better than us and hope you must have checked all this before applying for AO. Did you take survey? https://j1visawaiverrecommendation.state.gov/Survey/HowToUseSurvey

I think it is better to wait for 4-6 weeks as per DOS timeline and see advisory opinion, but what I have observed from previous threads, most of the cases have to go through waiver process. So in my opinion it is good that you applied for J1 waiver since you have tight deadlines to convert your status from J to XYZ.

Thank you again for the reply.my ds2019 doc says it is govt funding. I am funding my whole program myself.

I check with my university they also said it looks like the visa officer might have put it by error. Hoping that my advisory opinion turns up positive. I sent an email to  212ewaiver 3 weeks back.  got automated response. Is there a phone to call DOS ? I might have missed to send copy of my passport page and sent it by post later. Just wanted to check with them if they got it. 

Edited by Srinath Narayanan

7 hours ago, KurosawaSan said:

Just want to mention that if you received government funding from the US government, chances of getting a waiver based on No Objection is pretty much zero.

I think you want to say 'Full Bright funded by US Government' that is different situation and yes, chances are minimum and No Objection is not recommended ... Situations are different from case to case .... My friend (Research Scholar) who received US govt funding just got waiver early this month after 'sponsor view step' and case was No Objection not Full Bright. So for Full Bright yes, it is difficult based on no objection!

Hi all, 

This forum was so helpful during my waiver process and I'd like share my timeline. I had government funding from my country and I applied to no objection waiver. 

image.thumb.png.25e96b3562e756ae825d04439dfd3261.png

Received DOS letter : March 4, 2019 dates as February 25.

Case accepted by USCIS: March 6, 2019

Received I-797C : March 12, 2019 dated as March 6.

Waiver approved: March 14, 2019.

Received I-797: March 18, 2019 dates as March 14, 2019.

2 hours ago, ellamcc said:

Hi Ellamcc,

Congratulations! It is nice to know that the USCIS part is not taking too long. Did you had access to your USCIS case number before receiving I-797C? How did you obtain it? Thanks!

Regards,

Filipi

4 hours ago, ellamcc said:

Hi all, 

This forum was so helpful during my waiver process and I'd like share my timeline. I had government funding from my country and I applied to no objection waiver. 

image.thumb.png.25e96b3562e756ae825d04439dfd3261.png

Congratulations ellamcc! This timeline looks super fast from NOS point. Your case was definitely straight with no US govt funding and followed 6 weeks timeline.

Thanks for sharing your timeline and this will be helpful for new estimates.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.