JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 4/8/2019 at 5:56 AM, JWaiver_2019 said:

Hi Jack,

USCIS timeline is very unpredictable. It may take few weeks to months, depends on nature of case. Some people have got decision in couple of days too and others in 3-4 months. On average it is 6-8 weeks, but not an official. 

By the way immigration timelines have been reduced from  some recently reported delays little bit, indicating things are improving in my opinion. 

Wish the same for your case, and if it is straight (no complications), then USCIS should release decision in 4-8 weeks.

I just found out today that I was approved! Received the waiver in the mail here in Sweden only a week after approval. My case was a straightforward one with no government funding involved. Due to a misunderstanding with the Swedish embassy the case has been ongoing since April 2018, hence the absence of a full timeline (as that would skew the average waiting time). 

Timeline:

DOS favourable recommendation March 29

USCIS accepted the case April 3

I received the receipt from USCIS April 9

USCIS approved April 10

I received the waiver in the mail April 16

As can be seen above, I never acquired a copy of the favourable recommendation letter from DOS - only the receipt from USCIS.

Good luck to you all!!

Edited by Jack93

Hi guys, I am posting for the first time. I just had an update on  my case.

My timeline:

Application packet was sent to DOS by USPS Priority Mail:                            March 29 2019

Packet received (USPS confirmed by email due to issues with tracking):    April 1 2019

Embassy sent NOS by mail:                                                                                  April 5 2019

DOS updated status – Documents received (Except for NOS):                      April 17 2019

More updates to come as received ……..

Capture.thumb.PNG.2368d09ecd7836517cfc8ab26e844998.PNG

On 4/16/2019 at 3:42 PM, Jack93 said:

I just found out today that I was approved! Received the waiver in the mail here in Sweden only a week after approval. My case was a straightforward one with no government funding involved. Due to a misunderstanding with the Swedish embassy the case has been ongoing since April 2018, hence the absence of a full timeline (as that would skew the average waiting time). 

Timeline:

DOS favourable recommendation March 29

USCIS accepted the case April 3

I received the receipt from USCIS April 9

USCIS approved April 10

I received the waiver in the mail April 16

As can be seen above, I never acquired a copy of the favourable recommendation letter from DOS - only the receipt from USCIS.

Good luck to you all!!

You mean you have got approval from USCIS?

Hi all... i am new to this forum but going through this whole J1 waiver waiting process. I have a quick question.. does anybody here know when exactly US DOS changed the processing time from 6-8week to 12-18weeks for the J1 waiver. I did not seem to keep track of it and i know beginning of this year the processing time was still 6-8 weeks. 

My timeline - submitted the waiver application end of Feb.

Documents received - March 25th

NOC received - April 17th. 

Case is still pending..

My J1 visa will expire on May 18th :(...

Edited by CKondapalli

Just now, CKondapalli said:

Hi all... i am new to this forum but going through this whole J1 waiver waiting process. I have a quick question.. does anybody here know when exactly US DOS changed the processing time from 6-8week to 12-18weeks for the J1 waiver. I did not seem to keep track of it and i know beginning of this year the processing time was still 6-8 weeks. 

Around 15-20TH FEBRUARY 2019 but still most of applicants have received decisions within 6 weeks.

8 minutes ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

Around 15-20TH FEBRUARY 2019 but still most of applicants have received decisions within 6 weeks.

Thanks for the reply. Does processing time begin only upon receipt of all documents?? And the decision within 6 week is just the US DOS fav reco decision, correct? From then on it will still take a few more weeks for USCIS receipt?? In case i need to leave the  country during all this confusion, can i change my address to my employers address or a friend's home address with the DOS right away?

1 minute ago, CKondapalli said:

Thanks for the reply. Does processing time begin only upon receipt of all documents?? And the decision within 6 week is just the US DOS fav reco decision, correct? From then on it will still take a few more weeks for USCIS receipt?? In case i need to leave the  country during all this confusion, can i change my address to my employers address or a friend's home address with the DOS right away?

Does processing time begin only upon receipt of all documents??

- From the date of receiving of No Objection as stated on their website.

And the decision within 6 week is just the US DOS fav reco decision, correct?

- Yes. USCIS processing time is next phase

From then on it will still take a few more weeks for USCIS receipt??

- May take from a week to month for USCIS receipt

In case i need to leave the  country during all this confusion, can i change my address to my employers address or a friend's home address with the DOS right away?

Yes, you must change the address if you leave or expect decision to arrive after your departure. It takes little time. and if DOS decision arrives before DOS could update your address, you may need to contact USCIS to update it as well since DoS close your case soon after decision and suggest to contact USCIS for anything afterwards. 

Hope this will help!

7 minutes ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

Does processing time begin only upon receipt of all documents??

- From the date of receiving of No Objection as stated on their website.

And the decision within 6 week is just the US DOS fav reco decision, correct?

- Yes. USCIS processing time is next phase

From then on it will still take a few more weeks for USCIS receipt??

- May take from a week to month for USCIS receipt

In case i need to leave the  country during all this confusion, can i change my address to my employers address or a friend's home address with the DOS right away?

Yes, you must change the address if you leave or expect decision to arrive after your departure. It takes little time. and if DOS decision arrives before DOS could update your address, you may need to contact USCIS to update it as well since DoS close your case soon after decision and suggest to contact USCIS for anything afterwards. 

Hope this will help!

thank you so much.. this is really helpful! Will post my timeline once things move forward...

3 minutes ago, CKondapalli said:

thank you so much.. this is really helpful! Will post my timeline once things move forward...

You are welcome and sounds good for other applicants to get help from your case!

2 hours ago, LuizaT said:

Hi everyone,

so I got my favorable recommendation status online on April 9 and still haven't got anything in the mail.. and it is a US address. Is this normal?

It takes 1-2 week to arrive within U.S. So you can wait for another week and hope you get the letter. Which service did you use for self-addressed envelope? did you buy tracking option?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.