Mrs. Dea

Presentation of I-130 Package and mailing?

9 posts in this topic

Hi All:

I have now gathered all the evidence my spouse and can for the i-130 package and it seem to be a lot of paper. Thankfully this site helped in finding the information and with finding the order in which each set of documents should be placed (check first etc). 

I would like some further advice through the below questions in organizing the file; so it presents our case clearly and hopefully minimize the risk of having our paperwork misplaced :

1. Can I punch holes in the documents? Or what do you suggest I do to hold all the papers together before placing in the envelope?

2. Labelling-what is best to do to describe each document individually; apart from the general cover letter? I had sticky notes in mind.

3. Is there a specific type of envelope to use for the initial mailing?-Such as the size?

4. We will send to Chicago Lockbox- The options given on the site are USPS, FedEx, DHL, or UPS. It appears most people use USPS; what is the difference and which would you suggest for the Chicago Lockbox?

5. And what mailing instructions do I give to USPS/FedEx/DHL or UPS? As in, registered mail, high priority mail, first-class mail etc?

Thank you in advance.

6 minutes ago, Mrs Dudley said:

Hi All:

I have now gathered all the evidence my spouse and can for the i-130 package and it seem to be a lot of paper. Thankfully this site helped in finding the information and with finding the order in which each set of documents should be placed (check first etc). 

I would like some further advice through the below questions in organizing the file; so it presents our case clearly and hopefully minimize the risk of having our paperwork misplaced :

1. Can I punch holes in the documents? Or what do you suggest I do to hold all the papers together before placing in the envelope?

2. Labelling-what is best to do to describe each document individually; apart from the general cover letter? I had sticky notes in mind.

3. Is there a specific type of envelope to use for the initial mailing?-Such as the size?

4. We will send to Chicago Lockbox- The options given on the site are USPS, FedEx, DHL, or UPS. It appears most people use USPS; what is the difference and which would you suggest for the Chicago Lockbox?

5. And what mailing instructions do I give to USPS/FedEx/DHL or UPS? As in, registered mail, high priority mail, first-class mail etc?

Thank you in advance.

1. Paper clips.

2. I never labeled anything. They can read. 

3. Nothing special, just whatever fit your whole stack of documents

4. USPS is the regular post mail operated by the government. Others are private mail services. Anything would work. There is not a preferred method of mailing. I suspect most people use USPS because it's slightly cheaper than other services.

5. Nothing special. You can choose anything

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips

Read the form filing tips. They do the 2 holes at the top with the Acco type fasteners. We divided our sections and out tabs at the BOTTOM and held everything together with two large binder clips. They scan everything so it helps if you don't use anything like 3 ring binder or sticky notes they can't easily scan 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Mrs Dudley said:

Hi All:

Thank you in advance.

- I used a small heavy duty clip to hold the whole package together and put our passport photos in a small zip lock baggy (money order on top so it's one of the first things they saw when removed from envelope)

-I used different colored sticky notes on everything quickly explaining what each document was

-I used one of the "catalog" style envelopes

-We also sent ours to Chicago lockbox, sent by USPS

-I sent ours as registered mail (or sending certified is a good idea too) to be able to track it's progress and see exactly when it was received

good luck!

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, Mrs Dudley said:

My answers:

1. binder clips
  2. general cover letter is sufficient, no need to individually label everything
  3. No, just use what fits
  4. Use whichever option you want with verification of delivery, each of those services will get it there
  5. No special instructions are necessary; just hand them the package, pay the postage (or shipping fee), and they'll do the rest.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
22 hours ago, Ryan H said:

My answers:

2. No special instructions are necessary; just hand them the package, pay the postage (or shipping fee), and they'll do the rest.

If you do not use Postal mail, make sure to use the street address, not the PO Box.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

17 hours ago, Mrs Dudley said:

Thank you all. The answers were very clear and help a lot.

I have one more question; the attachments I am submitting such as chat logs etc to prove evidence would you add your name like at the top of those other documents too?

I used covers pages for each section. I used a cover pages for all pictures, cover page for identification cards, cover page for marriage certificate, cover page for financial docs, cover page for email and chats, cover letter for supporting docs such as will, insurance, and etc. I think the better organize your file the better it looks on you and sends a clear message you are serious and your docs are easily to sort and find.

22 hours ago, Mrs Dudley said:

Thank you all. The answers were very clear and help a lot.

I have one more question; the attachments I am submitting such as chat logs etc to prove evidence would you add your name like at the top of those other documents too?

Yes.  Both first and last names to each page.  This helps if they are lost.  Chances of a lost sheet making it back to your file though is pretty slim. 

Remember QUALITY over QUANTITY as well.

I didn't bother with coversheets on each section, they already have enough things to go through and throw out.  The government wastes enough paper

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.